Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 07:45 PM

54 posts, read 302,397 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I will be moving to JC in 2 months , I can't wait, but I need your advice on Internet connections, what would you recommend and what about cell phones ? thanks ..Ida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM

507 posts, read 1,488,023 times
For cell phones:
Verizon, Sprint, AT&T/Cingular, Suncom, and Alltell. I think that is right.

I'm not completely sure on the internet, but I know there are multiple ones available so you don't have to worry. EMBARQ has a local office downtown that has pretty cheap service (DSL). Comcast is also there, and I'm sure there is a few others.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:32 PM

712 posts, read 1,496,700 times
You basically have two internet options depending on where you are at. You can always get DSL internet through Embarq, or you could get cable internet through either Comcast or Charter Communications, depending on where in JC you live. If you are wanting a landline phone, its probably cheaper to go with Embarq for Internet, their bundle service is a good deal. If you rely on cell phones, its cheaper to go with cable internet. I will admit my biasness here: Ive had about seven years of bad experiences with Comcast's service and customer support at three different locations, so im paying a good bit more for DSL internet (even though I dont have a phone connected to the landline) and satellite TV just to stay clear of Comcast. Having said that, some people have no problems and love their service. Has any other natives had similar problems with Comcast?

As for cell phones, there are many services here, all work pretty well. Verizon and Cingular/AT&T are probably most popular

Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM

54 posts, read 302,397 times
Daughter talking now : Hi, I heard a couple of bad things from EMBARQ, and I really don't think we'd like to go with them. Comcast kinda controls how long you can stay on the internet, not only that but they WATCH you. No really friendly if you ask me.. If only they have Bellsouth(AT&T if you wanna call it.) up there.. that would be great. Also a friend of mine was talking about going with 'Roadrunner' is that in JC or not?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 PM

507 posts, read 1,488,023 times
I don't think Roadrunner is available in the tri-cities. I had Comcast (out of Grey, TN) when I lived in Jonesborough and had no problems with it, but others have had problems with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol