Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 PM

408 posts, read 1,979,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
We have to go through Hampton to get to our lake place and there is no way on God's green earth I would live there full time.

Here's a link the State of Tennessee 2006 Schools Report Cards.

TN Department of Education: (http://www.k-12.state.tn.us/rptcrd06/ - broken link)
Why not? Just because of the schools? Or the town in general? If you are just going through on 19 and turning on 67 then you only see about half of the town or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,335,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingToGetOuttaAZ View Post
Mbmouse, Are you talking about the schools in Bluff City or Hampton? Thank you so much for your time.
Hampton, sorry.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:45 PM

506 posts, read 1,477,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
Why not? Just because of the schools? Or the town in general? If you are just going through on 19 and turning on 67 then you only see about half of the town or less.
Just my opinion, but I like Hampton. Other than the schools, I think it is great. You are basically in the mountains, but only 15-20 minutes to Johnson City, and less than 10 minutes from Elizabethton for all your shopping needs. If you want to live a simple mountain life, Hampton is great, in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,008 times
Default Partial Retirement

I am a Marine who is moving to the area in a few years, after I retire, and I am in the process of purchasing some land. The address for the property is "Off Marion Hyder Branch Rd" in Elizabethton. From everything I know about the area I think that this road is actually Marion Branch Rd. which is across the way from Hyder St. on Jenkins Mountain. Can anyone shed any light on this area? I hear that it is very rugged and I have many concerns. I have a wife and a son who will be 10 when we move there. I would like to build a house and move there full time but the property has no utilities although there is a neiboring property with utilities ran to it. Can anyone tell me who I would contact to get utilities run to the property? Also what can you tell me about the area. I like Johnson City a lot. My wife and I both have Bachelor Degrees and although I will be partially retired we both plan to work. Is it hard to find work in the area? I understand that the schools in the area are probably lacking in some way. Are there plenty of things for my son to do should he want to be involved in community events? What is the tourist situation like? I know that the Bristol Speedway is a big attraction but what other reasons do people visit the area for?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,335,296 times
Default Hello

Hi,
My hubby grew up in Carter County so I read him your post and this is his answer for the most part. Yes, it is rather rugged terrain in that area even though those two roads are only a few hundred yards off the main road. Your son could probably go to either Elizabethton City schools or Happy Valley which is the county school. Hubby graduated from Happy Valley and liked it, however that was ....well, lets just say well over 20 years ago hahahahha. They are ok schools, not the best in the area, but not the worst either. Just a bit under funded, again, not bad.
Even though you will be about 5 miles from the center of Elizabethton, you are also only about 5 or 6 miles to down town Johnson City, which has a great big new library with kid activities all the time. Hands on Museum is right there also. There is a public pool on that end of JC as well. JC has a great community kids sports program through parks and rec.
Elizabethton is a very quaint historic little city that has lots of great shops downtown. They have hot rod and old car shows quite often. There is a great new park/playground on the opposite side of town by the Doe River.
As for work, well, it depends what you are looking for. There is really only 2 large employers in Carter County which are Star Buildings Systems, and Wal-Mart. Johnson City is probably going to be a better chance for you to find employment as there is a lot in the medical field, American Water Heater, Seaman's, Wyndham, ETSU, Grainger, AT&T, General Shale, lots of retail and some others that have over 100 employees.
Not sure if that helps any, but hope it does some.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,008 times
Default Much Apreciated

That was great. Thanks for the info. I finally got some pics and info back on my property and I think it will be great.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 PM

54 posts, read 161,736 times
Been to Hampton looking and we would live there! But then it's what we are looking for.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
I want to stress that unless things have changed this is a somewhat closed community to outsiders. Perhaps someone that lives there currently will chime in here. I think people can be happy moving there as long as they have realistic expectations. I don't mean to sound unwelcoming, I just want everyone to be informed.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM

54 posts, read 161,736 times
Smokeymountain, I'm not sure just what you are saying. That a newcomer would be run off with a shotgun? What does "closed community" mean in today's world??

Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingFlorida View Post
Smokeymountain, I'm not sure just what you are saying. That a newcomer would be run off with a shotgun? What does "closed community" mean in today's world??
Haha, shotgun! Closed community means a lot of things in today's world in a lot of different areas. For instance, in the Knoxville forum there are people that live in a rural area outside of town and they have complained on the board that they have no friends; they aren't invited to activities, etc. Unless you make heroic efforts in some of these communities to make friends you may not have any. Do not expect folks to knock your door down. They are pleasant to you at the store, at church, etc. but then they go home to their own "cliques", if you will. Does that help you understand where I am coming from? My insight may not sound nice, but it is truthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol