Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times

Advertisements

What do you think about Elizabethton? I've been doing a lot of research & that seems to be a nice town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM

218 posts, read 417,401 times
My husband is from Elizabethon and I have worked there two different times. personally, I like it. It is small bedroom community for Johnson CIty. The Elizabethton City schools are good - better than Carter County. Shopping is limited though they are getting more places to eat. E-town has a reputation - not sure why - When I was growing up we used to call it Betsy-town or "cow town" but that was in the 60's. If you like small towns - Elizabethton may be your answer. The only negative thing I can say is their political system is still "good ole boy".

Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Pros:
1. Low housing costs
2. Abundance of land
3. Enough retail for groceries, eating out, and minor shopping trips.
4. EHS is a pretty good school.
5. Good hiking
6. Close to gun range, but not too close.
7. Close to beautiful Watauga Lake.
8. Small but cute downtown.
9. Very safe - Low random violent crime.
10. Fantastic public golf course.

Cons:
1. Close to JC, but inconvenient to the rest of the TriCities.
2. Typical rural drug issues. (largely out of sight)
3. Hospital - OK, but not great. May have to travel to JC (30 min) for doctors.
4. No "diversity", if that means anything to you. It's Appalachian culture - you like it or you don't.
5. Limited entertainment.

Those are my impressions as a 27 year TriCities resident.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Maybe Gray or Bluff City would be a better . Thank you again for all your help. For work, where would you say would be the best area to be in for a max. 25 minute commute? Maybe convenient to all 3 Tri Cities? If there is such a place!
What do you think, if someone is willing to take $9/10 an hour, a hard worker, with excellent references, can pass drug test & background check with flying colors, chances are of getting a job? I've heard different opinions on here. Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Bluff City is smaller, the government is crooked, and IMO it is the same or worse than Eliz on convenience. No grocery, no hospital, no shopping. Except for Ridgewood BBQ, I recommend razing the town and starting over. I'm only half kidding.

Gray is 15 min to Kpt, 10 min to JC, and 25 min to Bristol. All around, a very good place to live.

Blountville is another convenient option. Very good as long as you don't have school age kids. I don't like Central High or its feeders.

IMO, given the quality of your posts on here, I don't think $9/10 would be a problem.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Bluff City is smaller, the government is crooked, and IMO it is the same or worse than Eliz on convenience. No grocery, no hospital, no shopping. Except for Ridgewood BBQ, I recommend razing the town and starting over. I'm only half kidding.

Gray is 15 min to Kpt, 10 min to JC, and 25 min to Bristol. All around, a very good place to live.

Blountville is another convenient option. Very good as long as you don't have school age kids. I don't like Central High or its feeders.

IMO, given the quality of your posts on here, I don't think $9/10 would be a problem.
Gray sounds good, I'll also check out Blountville. I don't have any school age kids. So that's something I don't need to worry about.
Thanks again for all your help! Every one is always so nice & helpful on here! It's always nice to get advice from people that have lived in an area for awhile.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 PM

218 posts, read 417,401 times
Gray is the most centrally located area and is the fastest growing. Piney Flats, is a community which is seeing alot of growth and IMO potenital. It's between Johnson City and Bristol and may not have all the ammenities you're looking for, is worth checking into. Blountville, IMO, is often overlooked because it is a bit off the beaten path, but yet it is very accesible. I find it charming and friendly. More than Jonesborough, which, IMO can be snobbish.

At your indicated salary, you should have no problem in the job market, however, it depends on what you do.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.RidgerunninGal View Post
Gray is the most centrally located area and is the fastest growing. Piney Flats, is a community which is seeing alot of growth and IMO potenital. It's between Johnson City and Bristol and may not have all the ammenities you're looking for, is worth checking into. Blountville, IMO, is often overlooked because it is a bit off the beaten path, but yet it is very accesible. I find it charming and friendly. More than Jonesborough, which, IMO can be snobbish.

At your indicated salary, you should have no problem in the job market, however, it depends on what you do.
Thank you, I'll check out Piney Flats, also. Gray seems to be my number one at this point!
I'm in the medical field(clerical), but I'd work at Wal mart if I need to! My husband is a forklift operator/warehouse/shipping & receiving.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:45 PM

30 posts, read 41,922 times
I live in Unicoi County (on the northern side, near Elizabethton) and it's amazing how much you get for your money around here. Absolutely peaceful, a national forest on either side of me (surrounded by mountains). That said, it's isolated, and it takes 20 - 25 minutes to get to Johnson City, the nearest large town.

Asheville is where I wanted to live but simply couldn't afford it. Your finances sound a bit better than mine, so look at Barnardsville, Weaverville, NC, Mars Hill, or Marshall, NC if you are leaning toward the Asheville style of life at less cost and near enough to get into Asheville easily. Mars Hill, NC in particular has a lot going for it, has a university, charming look and feel of a small town and a 10 or 15 minute drive to Asheville. The high school benefits from the nearness of the college.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
You are wanting too much for too little money. $150k for a reasonably located property that can accommodate livestock is not doable. 30-45 minutes from grocery stores, doctors, etc is going to wear you out. The quality of services and schools is going to decline dramatically that far out of the main hubs. SW VA is too remote and lacks services to fit your bill. You can't afford nicer areas of WNC. You need to reduce expectations or reconsider the move.

Do you even have jobs lined up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol