Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,140 times

Advertisements

Just wondering.

I have lived in Colonial Heights/Kingsport area all my life. It surprised me (when I worked in JC) when my coworkers asked me how I could stand living in Kingsport because it stinks.

Granted--- there is almost always a bad smell down near the wastewater treatment plant but I am not talking about that one specific area.

Sometimes now and then you will get a strange smell from Eastman but that has greatly improved since I was little. Me and my husband both work there now and I rarely smell anything.

I am just wondering if I have lived here so long I am used to it or what ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Growing up there in the '60s and '70s,the smell was really bad. But now it's not nearly as strong (most of the time) and the odor "footprint" is much smaller, maybe a 1/2 mile radius around Domtar and Eastman. I live about 1/2 mile from Eastman and I only catch a malodorous whiff from there maybe two or three days a month. Over by the mall, it's smelly more often.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM

510 posts, read 1,386,833 times
Over the last 20-25 years tremendous strides were made to contain vapors and odors in Eastman processes and to scrub those that still escaped from the air of process buildings. The most obnoxious and far traveling smell was that of butyric acid which can be detected by humans at 10 ppm, maybe less. It is used in making certain plastics. It is also what gives Parmesan cheese it's "wonderful" aroma when sprinkled on pizza or salads. It's still in use there- it just doesn't get out as much.

I don't know as much about the paper plant but my understanding is that the newer paper machines and wood digesting processes are much improved and contain odors very effectively. The papers machines used in the 1950s and 60s are gone. The chemistry is the same but the odors, like those at Eastman, don't get out on the town as often. I think that the paper plant smell was mostly hydrogen sulfide from the digestion process where the lignin is removed from the wood pulp for making fine papers.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
Good to hear Jim.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Default That's what I thought, Jim.

I think Kingsport is a great place to live ! Apparently there are still a lot of people who don't live in Kingsport who are biased against the smell. Maybe they had a bad experience once.

Eastman has done a lot to improve air quality and the impact on the environment. Most of what they release is steam.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 PM

13 posts, read 38,187 times
Honestly, I still smell it every time I’m there. It is a very weird smell that is hard to describe. I was actually in Kingsport last week, and the smell was really bad for some reason.

I assume that the people who live in Kingsport just get used to it after awhile, so they likely don’t even notice it. For those of us who just visit Kingsport occasionally, the smell is still very noticeable.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM

67 posts, read 103,901 times
I don't live in the Tri-Cities area, but we have smelled what everyone is talking about when we stopped off for lunch in route to a vacation in the Smokies. We also wanted to check out the area, and found the smell to be a turn off for us personally. Each to their own I suppose; otherwise, it was a nice area.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTN View Post
Honestly, I still smell it every time I’m there. It is a very weird smell that is hard to describe. I was actually in Kingsport last week, and the smell was really bad for some reason.

I assume that the people who live in Kingsport just get used to it after awhile, so they likely don’t even notice it. For those of us who just visit Kingsport occasionally, the smell is still very noticeable.
I agree with this completely.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM

Default Intresting.

I am not saying others don't smell it. It's just that I don't. My family doesn't,either. Maybe we are used to it.

EXCEPT the wastewater treatment area. YUCK. Now that is one horrible smell.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Growing up in Kingsport we were used to it but when we left town and came back (John B Dennis) it would hit us. Dad (who worked at Eastman) would always say: That's the smell of money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol