Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times

Advertisements

Board OKs storytelling center purchase

The Jonesborough Board of Mayor and Aldermen on Monday voted to proceed with negotiations to finalize an agreement that will allow the town to buy the International Storytelling Center building in its downtown historic district. The town will then lease the building back to the nonprofit ISC organization for a sum that will cover the town’s debt service on the building from the USDA Office of Rural Development.

Citing the financial condition of ISC, which only last month emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy initiated by its default on the building, Chuck Vest, who made the motion for the resolutions’ approval, and Mary Gearhart, who seconded the motion, both said they were initially opposed to the agreement but had reversed positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
I by nature generally oppose to using government money to help groups such as this. However in this case if indeed it does not cost the city any money and it can help keep the group in the building, keeping the festival alive, I can understand it. I have less of a problem with this, for example, than the cities loaning money to these types of groups. I believe I read that Jonesborough and even maybe Johnson City had originally taken a hit on the bankruptcy as they had made loans to the center.

I do not have much faith in the long term viability in the storytelling festival. The prices are far too high. I have a relative that does storytelling nationwide, lives within 3 hours of Jonesborough, but skips the festival because of the price. Instead she goes to smaller festivals and events.

Hopefully the city pays a price for the property so that if the center gets into further financial trouble and ends up failing, the city can sell the property for what they have in it and do not lose anything.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
You can be sure that the town will never make a dime on this investment. That is the nature of these things, but they should be lauded for buying the facility rather than just lending more money on top of already sunk loans.

One can argue that the story telling festival brings a good deal of economic activity to the community, and so in the long run, even though the building itself will lose money, the overall benefit to the community is positive.

Consider it a sunk cost...like lending money to a friend or family member. Those monies promised on the lease back arrangment will probably never materialize.....just the same as the debt service payments on the original mortgage could not be afforded. Consider it like lending money to a friend or family member.....it is gone. Overall it probably creates jobs, brings tourist dollars into the community, and deals with an assets which might otherwise lay fallow for years to come while a new tennant is located.

Hate to see gubment involved in private enterprise, but this is probably the best outcome for a bad situation. Just don't go telling everyone it will make money, or the town will get their investmnet back. These things rarely, if ever, work out that way. I know it is hard for government, but just be honest with the people that this is lost money for the greater good of the community and move along.

Here's to a well attended festival...and the hopes that the agreement provides for a variety of revenue sources from parking, concessions, tickets, etc. in addition to the 'promised' lease payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol