U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:07 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,571,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
Sunny, I have lived all over the US for 30 years. Florida is the worst climate I've ever experienced. Its not liveable - people that think Florida is a good climate to escape the northern cold have got to realize that the heat is all-encompassing and unrelenting. You'll hate it if you don't love humidity .The humidity is literally breathtaking. It's stressful just to go outside and you break into an instant sweat. Florida is not as wonderful as you think.
Sounds just like what we experienced in TN this past summer - every bit as bad as Sarasota...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 06:15 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,567,334 times
We moved to Jonesborough, TN from Jacksonville, FL this sumer and while it was hot in TN, it didn't compare to FL. It cools down at night in TN while staying in the 80's at night in FL plus the humidity in FL was much higher. I am speaking of the northeastern part of TN. I know the rest of TN was really hot this summer.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Great thread. I am originally from CT then spent 11 awful years in South East FL. I agree with Peggy and Sunny, the heat and humidity of Fl is the worst! I have traveled all over this country, only about 8 or 9 continental states I haven't been to (mainly west coast, haven't gotten there yet) and I have also been to Canada, Mexico, Hawaii and Aruba, the climate in FL is just awful! I have been in North East TN for a little over 10 years now. It still amazes me every day, the views, the people, the climate, even the growth has seemed to be at a nice even pace. My hubby is a native and he has traveled a lot too. Neither of us could even imagine wanting to live anywhere else. There is just so much to do here and so enjoyable and affordable for a family.

Hey a fellow yankee..Could you tell me what town are you in? I ask because I drove thru the area a couple of years ago, and noticed there was a smell of chemicals around the area - don't know what city. -
IS there a lot of industry up there and how can we avoid it - is there a clean "pocket" not downwind from the plants? I know about Eastman Chemical
we are semi-retirees and would love to be in a less congested place that isn't all about subdivisions and newbuilds and schools. Stonington CT , or Lakeville, or Southport in Fairfeld County have that preserved old town feel to them - and wowee what a price tag to boot..lol Thanks! 12b

Old 11-03-2007, 06:47 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,593,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Hey a fellow yankee..Could you tell me what town are you in? I ask because I drove thru the area a couple of years ago, and noticed there was a smell of chemicals around the area - don't know what city. -
IS there a lot of industry up there and how can we avoid it - is there a clean "pocket" not downwind from the plants? I know about Eastman Chemical
we are semi-retirees and would love to be in a less congested place that isn't all about subdivisions and newbuilds and schools. Stonington CT , or Lakeville, or Southport in Fairfeld County have that preserved old town feel to them - and wowee what a price tag to boot..lol Thanks! 12b
Ok, I think I am getting what you are looking for with those comparisons. If you like Stoneington CT you should look at Jonesborough or Elizabethton in the Tri-Cities area. I live in Gray but it has several subdivisions going in and a new school along with the other two already here, it really is a bedroom community type place. Elizabethton and Jonesborough are more "quaint" like Stonington and lots of old, restored buildings, lots of little home town shops and eateries. You'll giggle at the prices.
The chemical smell comes from Eastman and Domtar in Kingsport. I very rarely smell it anymore. Folks that are born and raised here seem to never smell it and if they do, they call it " ahh, the smell of economy" hahahhahaha. I do know it really bothers some people and if you are very sensitive to smells like that, I would say stay away from the north side of Bays Mountain.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 PM

24 posts, read 64,236 times
Default TN v FL

This past spring, we visited Orlando and Roan Mountain, and looked at properties in both places then chose the Roan Mountain Area 12 miles from Elizabethton. I really wanted to buy in Florida but it is not only hot but LOOKs hot too. I live in Arkansas so heat is not such a problem, but even here it doesn't LOOK hot.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 AM

153 posts, read 446,765 times
We currently live outside of Bradenton, FL, just south of Tampa but hope to move up there soon.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:46 PM

365 posts, read 909,806 times
Born & raised in Miami, Florida....have lived in Erlanger, Ky., Richmond, Va., & Hawaii. For the last 20 or so years, we've been in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. We're searching for our best place for retirement in three years. The tri-cities area is now on the top of my list
Indiana was up there as well, but I don't think there would be enough positive change for us to make a move there. The two things that will make it very difficult to leave, are our two daughters
Maybe once we do fall in love with the tri-cities area, we can convince them to join us

Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Ok, I think I am getting what you are looking for with those comparisons. If you like Stoneington CT you should look at Jonesborough or Elizabethton in the Tri-Cities area. I live in Gray but it has several subdivisions going in and a new school along with the other two already here, it really is a bedroom community type place. Elizabethton and Jonesborough are more "quaint" like Stonington and lots of old, restored buildings, lots of little home town shops and eateries. You'll giggle at the prices.
The chemical smell comes from Eastman and Domtar in Kingsport. I very rarely smell it anymore. Folks that are born and raised here seem to never smell it and if they do, they call it " ahh, the smell of economy" hahahhahaha. I do know it really bothers some people and if you are very sensitive to smells like that, I would say stay away from the north side of Bays Mountain.
thank you - I will check it out !

Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM

15 posts, read 54,435 times
Jacksonville/Saint Augustine............and h-a-t-e it every day!!! Looking forward to retirement and actively looking for property as I type.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,587,353 times
I will NEVER go back to Florida. vacation , yes.

I have met MANY people here- relocated from Orlando- telling me how bad the crime is there- its like NYC- no thanks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol