Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM

96 posts, read 563,418 times

Advertisements

I am retired & seeking to move to Johnson City. Having spent a lifetime raising kids to adulthood & maintaining a home.....I am seriously considering purchasing a low maintenace Condo perhaps in a Gated Community in Johnson City.
Does anyone live in a Condo/Gated Community in Johnson City ?
If so, do you like the Condo lifestyle there ?
What are the Pros & Cons of a Condo/Gated Community in the Johnson City area ?
Can you recommend any good Condos/Gated Communities in the Johnson City area ?

Thanks......DK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Well, condos are convenient and extremely low maintenance. I have also found mine to be an energy saver. In Johnson City there are a plethora of condos with a plethora of amenities. To make any specific recommendations, I would need to know more specifically what is important to you.

Price/Dues?
Location?
Age & Style of the units?
Amenities (pool, clubhouse, tennis, etc.)?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 AM

96 posts, read 563,418 times
Default So.....Tell Me About the Condos ?

Okay.....To Start; I am not aware of the going rate ( Price/Dues ) of Condos in the Johnson City Area so I would welcome some examples as to what specific amenities are or should be offered at what price in the area ? In other words, what would I get & for how much ?

For Example, What are the 5 or 6 Most Popular Condos in the area ?

Are all of the Condos " gated communities " ?

Which Condos are newer & how new are they ?

Are there certain Condos with well- known reputations, etc. like " The Villages " in Florida ?

I have a disabled adult-step son who lives with my wife & I and......I have had medical concerns too recently so availability to good medical care is important.
My wife & I are not golfers or tennis players but a pool would be a nice addition.
Since we are retired , it is not essential that we be close to schools or jobs.

Are there certain Builders with good reputations re: Condos in Johnson City area ?

All recommendations are welcome. Even though we are recently retired .....the Condo we are seeking does not have to be in a retirement community.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 AM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
I will tackle a couple of these questions.

First, I would not say that most condos in JC are gated. In fact, very few are. One called Willows Edge is

Its tough not knowing exactly what price range you are looking at.
For instance, I did a simple search for condos in the 150-200k range, and there were over 50 available. The average association fee in this price range is around 70-75. The one outlier on association fees are the Rose Park Condos near ETSU, which are 165/month and includes water, garbage, internet, and cable (there is no yard to take care of). The 70-75/month typically gets you garbage, lawn care, maybe water.

Generally, as the condo is newer and as the price goes higher, the association fee is higher and includes more. There are always exceptions, as I know of one condo complex that is fairly dated but is gated with many amenities with an association fee of around 250/month.

What is best really is to come down and see what is available. Overall, there are over 200 condos for sale right now in JC, and I am sure the type that you are looking for is available. You just have to come down and get a feel for it.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 PM

227 posts, read 720,238 times
I agree with jchometeam. Condo price ranges and ammenities vary widely in our area. Another one that is gated in JC is Williamsburg at Oakland. They don't come on the market often but there is currently one listed. Their association fee is $140 and I know they have a pool and clubhouse.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
While I don't have all the answers, I'll offer my best opinion.

Okay.....To Start; I am not aware of the going rate ( Price/Dues ) of Condos in the Johnson City Area so I would welcome some examples as to what specific amenities are or should be offered at what price in the area ? In other words, what would I get & for how much ?

Right beside me is Pointe 24. It is not gated but has to be some of the nicest condos in JC. They start at $225k. They are on the lake and offer clubhouse and pool ... very upscale. There is a similar community being built in Colonial Heights beside Walmart that is very reputable nationally and at a similar price. It is gated, but the name escapes me.

Are all of the Condos " gated communities " ? Rarely.

Which Condos are newer & how new are they ?

There is everything from 1970s (Beechnut - pool, tennis courts, convenient - but dated and all 2 levels) to condos being built right now. I've heard there is an Epcot community being built somewhere - don't know any details. There are the two I previously mentioned, and several new condos right behind med tech and the Old Navy shopping ctr off knob creek rd.

Are there certain Condos with well- known reputations, etc. like " The Villages " in Florida ?

That Epcot community and the one in Colonial Heights (more Kpt than JC) are the only two I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol