Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times

Advertisements

Which U.S. Cities Are Most, Least Racially Diverse? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

A new study released today by the US2010 Project at Brown University shows how the country has become much more diverse at the metropolitan level. The report scores the diversity of the nation’s metro areas by how evenly a place’s population is spread across the five racial groups: Non-Hispanic whites, Hispanics of any race, African-Americans, Asians and an “other” category that is largely made up of Native Americans, Alaska Natives and people of two or more races.

I knew the area was pretty racially homogenous, but I had no idea Kingsport-Bristol was in the top 3. Knoxville, Asheville, NC, Morristown, TN and Cleveland, TN were also in the top 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
Interesting find. Thanks for posting that.

As with most other metros, these in E TN will continue to diversify in the future. The changes brought by this will be interesting to witness.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I noticed that and then wondered why JC is listed on the "Best Places for African American's to Retire". This is the one thing I don't like about where we live now. It has the same demographics and I grew up with people of all colors and I miss that.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,721 times
The local cities are more racially diverse (probably 5-15% in the cities are black). The Hispanic presence has increased but still a bit of a novelty.

It is the large, surrounding rural areas that are included in the metro statistical area that are basically the same European stock that settled this area in the late 1700's. There was very little commercial scale plantation farming of the sort found in places like South Carolina, Georgia, or western Tennessee. These were mostly mufti-generational family operated farms. We never had the early industrialization that attracted rural folks (black and white) to places such as Cleveland and Detroit in the early twentieth century. Early industrialization in places like "Old Kingsport" (present Kingsport was chartered in 1917) was mostly devastated by the unpleasantness during the 1860's and did not make recovery until well into the twentieth century. There wasn't much incentive to come here- only to leave.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM

I think it's interesting, though. I can remember growing up in Greene County, folks told me to never "drive down Davis Street" in Greeneville. I never figured out why until I got older - that's where the black folks live. The cities in the upstate are a little more diverse, but overall they are still very segregated by community. The Carver/Davis Park area of Johnson City is probably the most racially integrated in the region.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I noticed that and then wondered why JC is listed on the "Best Places for African American's to Retire".
IMO most black people don't base their retirement decision on how many black people live in an area. I certainly don't live anywhere based on race; really, on principle, I don't even believe in race.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The Carver/Davis Park area of Johnson City is probably the most racially integrated in the region.
But is it economically integrated?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Hmm... good question. There are definitely some nice homes on up the street, up around Gilmer Park and ETSU president's house/estate. But Davis Park isn't economically integrated. Very few places in Johnson City are - I'd say the Tree Streets comes best.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
Not many places in the country are, much less Johnson City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol