Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am moving to Sullivan County in the next few months and I don't really know the area at all, so I have some questions. I will be working in Blountville and I would like to find an apartment somewhere within the county. I am 25 years old and a recent college grad. I would eventually like to look at houses and property, enough to have a horse or two, but for now I'm planning on renting an apartment for at least a year. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer any questions! I really appreciate it!

1. What apartment complexes are recommended in Sullivan County?

2. Are there any Equestrian facilities/ programs/groups/ events? I am interested in show jumping, dressage, and cross county as well as trail riding.

3. What is the Art Scene like? I am a painter and enjoy going to galleries as well as having shows myself. Is there a particular place that is a hot-spot for local artists?

4. What gyms are available to join? Which would you recommend? I would prefer a 24 hour gym.

5. What are some good churches that I could visit? My previous church had a college and career group that I really enjoyed being a part of and I would like to find something like that here.

6. Are there any (Crew) Rowing clubs or organizations whatsoever in the tri-cities area? I rowed in college and would love to find a group, or even a High School club that I could possibly coach or volunteer with.

7. What place has the best ice-cream?

8. What is the best Mexican restaurant in the area?

9. Where are the best bike trails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
Default Steve

Hi Mainecoon,

There are several of us preparing to start a rowing club in the Kingsport area. We have a great lake for it.
I also rowed in college - many moons ago...

Last edited by Beretta; 10-21-2012 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: no email addresses please

Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoon View Post
Hello!

I am moving to Sullivan County in the next few months and I don't really know the area at all, so I have some questions. I will be working in Blountville and I would like to find an apartment somewhere within the county. I am 25 years old and a recent college grad. I would eventually like to look at houses and property, enough to have a horse or two, but for now I'm planning on renting an apartment for at least a year. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer any questions! I really appreciate it!

1. What apartment complexes are recommended in Sullivan County? I would stay in the Colonial Heights area. This would get you close to town without having to be directly in town with the attendant factory smells and increases in crime. Don't know of specific complexes.

2. Are there any Equestrian facilities/ programs/groups/ events? I am interested in show jumping, dressage, and cross county as well as trail riding. Can''t help much, though I do know there is a ranch off 394 in Sullivan County. There's also some stuff on 421 (I think) up toward South Holston Lake.

3. What is the Art Scene like? I am a painter and enjoy going to galleries as well as having shows myself. Is there a particular place that is a hot-spot for local artists? From what I understand, it's soft, but if you're into the local mountain culture, art is integrated with this many places in east TN.

4. What gyms are available to join? Which would you recommend? I would prefer a 24 hour gym. 24 hour gyms that aren't chains are going to be hard to find. Great Body Company used to be 24 hour, but I think they cut that out. Gold Star Fitness is in Kingsport but is a bit run down. I would recommend the YMCA in Bristol. I was a member there for around a year and it was the best gym I had seen in the area and has very nice lap and swimming pools.

5. What are some good churches that I could visit? My previous church had a college and career group that I really enjoyed being a part of and I would like to find something like that here. Going to be hard to find that in Sullivan County as it's not a place for young professionals. Celebration Church off exit 66 is most likely to have what you're looking for .

6. Are there any (Crew) Rowing clubs or organizations whatsoever in the tri-cities area? I rowed in college and would love to find a group, or even a High School club that I could possibly coach or volunteer with. No clue on this. I've never heard of it being popular in east TN, though the terrain would certainly be good for it.

7. What place has the best ice-cream? I like Marble Slab

8. What is the best Mexican restaurant in the area? La Carretta is the most popular, but it's Tex-Mex. It's a cut above the chains but still not quality. There is very little authentic, quality Mexican food in the area.

9. Where are the best bike trails? A lot of my friends are into Bays Mountain.

Responses are above.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
I am interested in getting my kids into competitive rowing. Unfortunately i haven't seen a club this side of knoxville. I would like more information about the group in kingsport that brumit mentioned.

Warrior state park has bike trails, a pretty nice golf course, and lake that would serve for rowing and is close to colonial heights.
Good luck and welcome to sullivan county!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoon View Post
Hello!

1. What apartment complexes are recommended in Sullivan County?

2. Are there any Equestrian facilities/ programs/groups/ events? I am interested in show jumping, dressage, and cross county as well as trail riding.

3. What is the Art Scene like? I am a painter and enjoy going to galleries as well as having shows myself. Is there a particular place that is a hot-spot for local artists?

4. What gyms are available to join? Which would you recommend? I would prefer a 24 hour gym.

5. What are some good churches that I could visit? My previous church had a college and career group that I really enjoyed being a part of and I would like to find something like that here.

6. Are there any (Crew) Rowing clubs or organizations whatsoever in the tri-cities area? I rowed in college and would love to find a group, or even a High School club that I could possibly coach or volunteer with.

7. What place has the best ice-cream?

8. What is the best Mexican restaurant in the area?

9. Where are the best bike trails?

Hi Maincoon! (I had a main coon cat for 17 years, love them!)
I can only address a few of your questions, and it is just my opinions but here ya go:
If you are working in Blountville, there are some apartments and houses to rent in the Gray area that might work well for you? Kinda depends on where in Blountville really. The suggestion above about looking in Colonial Heights is good too, I agree with it.
As for arts, Downtown Kingsport is the way to go there. There are several really nice galleries and a pretty involved arts community. The Renaissance Center in Kingsport can offer a lot. There is always volunteer opportunities like the carousel project too.
As for church: check out Christ Fellowship in Rock Springs area of Sullivan County. It is interdenominational and has a lot of young professionals and small groups.
Gym...I don't go to one, but I know there are many around and from what I hear, a lot of very good ones that people love going to on a regular basis.
Hope that helps and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol