Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Gray for about 7 years now. Within city limits due to annexing, but pay only county taxes (cheap!!! $620 a year!) We are a family of 5, for years we paid $113 a month for water/city sewer/trash pick up. Over the past 5 or so months it has gone up to $130ish. It fluxuates a dollar or so per month depending on actual usage. Our power bill runs between $170 and $225 per month, but we are a power hog family. My hubby gets bad migraines and needs to keep the house colder than most folks like it plus the water heater hotter than most so when you have those things thrown in plus heat pumps are aweful power hogs..yea our power bill is higher than average. We are also over board with technology, so lots of energy there too, so that is why ours is a bit higher than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I have lived in Gray for about 7 years now. Within city limits due to annexing, but pay only county taxes (cheap!!! $620 a year!) We are a family of 5, for years we paid $113 a month for water/city sewer/trash pick up. Over the past 5 or so months it has gone up to $130ish. It fluxuates a dollar or so per month depending on actual usage. Our power bill runs between $170 and $225 per month, but we are a power hog family. My hubby gets bad migraines and needs to keep the house colder than most folks like it plus the water heater hotter than most so when you have those things thrown in plus heat pumps are aweful power hogs..yea our power bill is higher than average. We are also over board with technology, so lots of energy there too, so that is why ours is a bit higher than most.
Thanks NB, this is a really good breakdown. I agree about heat pumps and was wondering why it seems like most every house is heated this way in the area. Is it because the TVA has made electricity so cheap? Up here in Maryland heat pumps are kind of laughed at. Most opt for a more efficient form of heat.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,674 times
Heat pumps in Maryland wouldnt work, its too cold. Here we are warm enough that for the most part they are ok. They are very efficient in the hot months, and even though they cost more in the winter, our cold months dont get nearly as cold as yours.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Heat pumps in Maryland wouldnt work, its too cold. Here we are warm enough that for the most part they are ok. They are very efficient in the hot months, and even though they cost more in the winter, our cold months dont get nearly as cold as yours.
I know, that's one of the reasons we are considering the area. Man I really hope we like it down there because I've always wanted to move south to avoid these winters. But North Carolina etc are waaaay too hot in the summer, my wife would be miserable. And Dave loves snow and probably couldn't do without it. Nothing like walking the dogs through the woods right after 5 inches, it's perfectly silent and beautiful. Your area sounds like it has perfect weather for us.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
There is the option for natural gas for heat. My folks use it in Rogersville, have gas insets in the fireplaces. So there are other options. I had a oil furnace in my house in Greeneville, LOVED it! Now that is warm heat! But it does leave a light residue. The big difference, is the two houses above (both 100 year old homes) have no A/C, the heat pump does both. So it is a toss up.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Yeah our house up here is over100 years old too and we put in an oil boiler. Besides marrying my wife this may have been one of my best decisions in life. Our house feels very comfortable even set at 66.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM

239 posts, read 699,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
I am not doubting the poster's bill, im sure it was true- im just not sure why it is true. Those numbers I had were the utilities disclosures from some of the homes currently on the market in the Gray area outside of the JC limits. Granted, I only pulled the first 5 I came to on the MLS and they might have been lying, but I have doubts that each of these sellers are systematically lying either.

Regardless, if the bill is indeed $200/month for water it would be better off to live in the city limits. The increase in taxes would be offset by the decrease in water bill alone.
I do believe our sellers lied on our disclosure...they said the average electric bill was $80. Ours is usually 3x that so I called the power company. They had ONE bill that was that low. Our lowest bill was about $190 (but we use the AC) and we have extra insulation blown in the attic a couple years ago. I'll have to go back and look at the water bill. Our water / sewer / trash used to be around $100-$120 several years ago, but now it is nearly always over $140 (family of 4).

Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 13,185 times
We live in the county, outside of Gray, even...and our water and garbage runs us $70-80/month. We recently moved here from Germany where we paid more than twice that, so I find it hard to complain.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:09 AM

Do people forgo the trach pick up by simply going to the dump? Hey I'll be retired and will have nothing but time on my hands!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Do people forgo the trach pick up by simply going to the dump? Hey I'll be retired and will have nothing but time on my hands!
Yes, some take their trash to the dump. This happens all over, not just in Gray.

Now, back to H2O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol