Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM

63 posts, read 218,831 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are moving to Tennessee in about 6 months from Wisconsin. I have done some research on the Knoxville/Maryville area and thought I would check out the Tri-Cities area........We want to live on the East side of Tennessee, We do know we do not want to live down around Dollywood... To may people at times for us.

We are a self employed family and we homeschool. So we don't need to look at jobs and schoools. We want to buy a 3 or more bedroom house with no less then 5 acres of land, under $100,000., we are looking for a fixer upper, we want to add our own touch to the house and make it a more greener house. no farther then 10 miles outside of a town that atleast has a Walmart and stuff for homeschoolers.....

Is all of that posible to find in the Tri-Cities area? I know I am asking a lot of you all and of a town. but it never hurts to ask questions.

Thank you for your time and help,
Oneida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 AM

383 posts, read 914,252 times
The questions are not up my alley but I wanted to point out a local search function off a realtors site. Since I don't know if this is allowed I won't link to the site directly and I wouldn't recommend you use any agent for a purchase except a buyers agent. I am not an agent although I was licensed in another state many years ago.

Moderators please delete this if it is not within forum guidelines/rules.

Ok, that said, I need to buy a house/land in about a year when my youngest gets off to college. The site below is where I do all my searching. I find the map function to be a great way to get a list of available houses and land in any one specific region...we are all a little different so your mileage may vary...

Moderator cut: changed to a non Realtor specific site that is allowed....REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale you should be able to get the same info, features on this site

my gut feeling based on my searches is..in order to meet all your specs, you may have to look a little west of here. maybe north to northwest of knoxville but you never know what you'll find so good luck.

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-16-2007 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM

Thank you so much for your post. I checked it out and you are right about how it works.

Thanks again,
Oneida

Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 AM

227 posts, read 717,302 times
Hi Oneida,

What part of Wisconsin are you in? My family went up to Eagle River for a snowmobile vacation a few years ago - really enjoyed the area. I'm sure you'll love Tennessee.

Although finding anything with acreage under $100K is getting more difficult, there are still good buys out there. You should definitely give Tri-Cities a look.

Donna

Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,774,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneida View Post
We want to buy a 3 or more bedroom house with no less then 5 acres of land, under $100,000., we are looking for a fixer upper, we want to add our own touch to the house and make it a more greener house. no farther then 10 miles outside of a town that atleast has a Walmart and stuff for homeschoolers.....
With a little searching, I found a tiny 3-bedroom home in Kingsport w/ 9.4 acres & under $100K. It's a tidy-looking house & the property looks very nice w/ terrific views. I'll PM the listing to you.

You might also want to look around Rogersville in Hawkins Co., Greene Co. within 15-20 minutes of Greeneville, and Gate City, VA which is close to Kingsport...also try rural Washington Co. near Bristol, VA.

Map of area Wal-Mart locations:
Walmart.com - Store Finder Results

Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
I was also thinking about, Fall Branch and Surgionsville where you can get land and home cheaper than in town but still be close enough to town for a less than 20 minute drive to lots of shopping and such.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 AM

383 posts, read 914,252 times
oops. sorry about that link mb..won't make that mistake again :-)

Old 10-16-2007, 01:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
oops. sorry about that link mb..won't make that mistake again :-)
Not a problem, I am here to help.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 PM

46 posts, read 154,591 times
wow this is wierd.. im gunna be relocating to Tn too this summer but the murfreesboro area.. but im from wisconsin and im homeschooled too... i guess everyone just wants to live in Tennessee lol

Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM

Hi Mandy2007,

I guess you are right. I have seen so many people posting about moving to Tennessee. I am South Central, what about you?

Oneida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee