U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 13,428 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I'm completely new to this, first time I ever posted anything anywhere.I am relocating ASAP to the Johnson City area. We are originally from Asheville and moved 5 years ago to south Georgia. My husband is ready to move "home" and since the Asheville area is very expensive (one of the many reasons we moved to begin with) and his mom is now in Greeneville,TN we are looking at that area. We really like JC and especially Jonesborough. We have found an old house that we fell in love with but our real estate agent said that it might not have a septic system because of the age and that there was no way to be sure unless the seller had some info. Is this still common in that area? Any suggestions on how to find out? It is outside of the city limits but I understand that city water is common in the county (good luck finding that in NC) but how about sewer? Any help would be great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,696,826 times
Well, your Realtor should be able to ask the owners agent (it SHOULD be in the MLS listing) if it has city sewage or an underground septic tank. You could call the JC water dept 423-461-1640 and give them the address of the house, they can tell you if they have had it set up priorly or currently. They can also tell you if city sewage is available to that street/house and the fees to get hooked up if it needs to.
Hope that helps.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,589,720 times
I can't answer your sewer question, but I can tell you that my wife and I have now been in the Jonesborough area about one and ahalf months and just love it here. We will be moving into a new home in the Telford area which about four miles outside of Jonesborough going toward Greeneville toward the end of October. We wish you good luck on your move. We moved up from Florida and it has been a trying experience, but worth it.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 PM

227 posts, read 665,663 times
MB is right, it should be in the MLS listing for the house; however, you can't always trust what is in the listing. Your agent should verify with the owner of the house and also check with the county environmental services department and see if they have any kind of past permits on file for that address. I tried to find the number in the phone book but it wasn't listed. I think I have that number at work. I'll send it to you if I can find it. You could call Building Permits at 423-753-1753 and explain what you need. They should be able to direct you to the correct place.

What part of south Georgia are living in? I grew up in Tallahassee, FL which is more like south Georgia than Florida!

Good luck with your move!
Donna

Old 10-17-2007, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 13,428 times
Thanks for all of the info, it really helps. I called the JC water dept and they don't service the area. The realtor is trying to get info for me. Apparently the records don't go very far back on septic systems and alot of the older homes are not on record. We are currently in Brunswick, GA. I lived here for 10 years growing up and loved it then but after 16 years back in the mountains I can't seem to get used to the heat again. Of course when I was a kid I could stay at the beach or pool all of the time. No such luck now. Everyone around JC seems to be friendly so I hope that we will soon feel at home there, we are "almost" locals, lol. Actually my grandmother was from Erwin.I am a little concerned though about it becoming too much like Asheville, I REALLY hope that doesn't happen. Asheville was great 20 years ago but I wouldn't go back now even if I could afford it. Looking forward to being a neighbor soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol