Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:13 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,095 times

Advertisements

Yes I did, funny really I was heading west towards Tennessee High and just because they hadn't painted the new lines on the road yet on Tuesday I got in the wrong lane and had to go to Volunteer Pkwy and come back, my goof. Anyway I see they have them repainted now. Yes the bridge looks like its progressing pretty quick, I wonder if they will do away with the fifth St. entrance all together, doesn't really serve a purpose with only King being on that section of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Yes I did, funny really I was heading west towards Tennessee High and just because they hadn't painted the new lines on the road yet on Tuesday I got in the wrong lane and had to go to Volunteer Pkwy and come back, my goof. Anyway I see they have them repainted now. Yes the bridge looks like its progressing pretty quick, I wonder if they will do away with the fifth St. entrance all together, doesn't really serve a purpose with only King being on that section of it.

Yeah, they sure did change the traffic pattern. It took me a few times to get used to it.

I noticed this AM that they were paving the bridge on the side where it connects to MLK JR. BLVD and 5th. I thought it was going to be concrete to give people better traction. I can see people now SLIDING down that bridge in inclement weather.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 PM

To update, the bridge looks to be nearing completion. I wonder what the latest date of "opening" will be. I imagine at least within 30-60 days. ?

I still have no idea what it will be named.... if they will name it 5th St. or Taylor St. or ?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM

Does anyone know anymore info about this bridge as to why it is so delayed?! It has been at a standstill for weeks it seems for no apparent reason! It looks like its ready to drive on. Countless, NICE days has passed with NO work going on. Looks like all that needs to be done is the new traffic signal lamps installed on some areas on the ends of the bridge.

I was livid the other day when on TWO of my trips out that I had to detour about 8 total miles out of my way when that darn train had the road blocked at TWO major crossings for at least 3 hours. I do not know what had happened, but alot of people were furious. I do not like to take my car eastbound on the current old bridge, because the surface where the road meets the bridge is too rough. It (old bridge on Ash St.) appears to be sinking in on its west side.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,208 times
Just another reason to avoid poor Bristol.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Just another reason to avoid poor Bristol.

Oh how funny!

Imagine how grand that downtown view will be though from that bridge when its complete!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Bridge OPEN! 4-lane underway from 421 to bridge???!

THE BRIDGE WAS FINALLY OPENED TODAY! YIPPEEEE!

Oh, I want to mention - that was my dad that had the write-up in the Bristol paper asking about the bridge delay.... it was only a couple of days later they were working like bees over there! Not sure if that article in the paper helped, but the timing was ironic if it was not.

RCM - where are ya? Have you driven over it yet? I was able to drive on it twice today - both times I was headed east bound... I cannot wait to head westbound on it.

They are now "tearing up" Pennsylvania Avenue. I thought they were going to simply repave it, because it was so rough. They also have signs up on Virginia Avenue near the city limits which suggests they are going to repave that road too, but its not all that bad... I have seen worse.

What puzzles me though is that tonight my dad was talking to his brother. His daughter lives on E. Cedar St., right off of VA Avenue. He said that the city bought her house and they told them they are going to put a 4-lane through there that supposed to run from 421, all the way to the bridge! If this is the case, its going to take SEVERAL houses (some historic) out along that 4 mile stretch. I am not sure about this... it seems like too much of a project for me at this time for the city to undergo.

Has anyone else heard?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
That's odd, the infrastructure around Bristol TN (except State St itself west of downtown) seems fine. I guess they need the four lane, though.

Bristol VA, with exit 7, is another story, however...

Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM

It is odd and thats what I was thinking. I just do not see them tearing down all of those houses. Especially the historic ones. It would be a shame. I thought I would have heard more about this before now. I am not sure if its true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That's odd, the infrastructure around Bristol TN (except State St itself west of downtown) seems fine. I guess they need the four lane, though.

Bristol VA, with exit 7, is another story, however...

Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
THE BRIDGE WAS FINALLY OPENED TODAY! YIPPEEEE!

Oh, I want to mention - that was my dad that had the write-up in the Bristol paper asking about the bridge delay.... it was only a couple of days later they were working like bees over there! Not sure if that article in the paper helped, but the timing was ironic if it was not.

RCM - where are ya? Have you driven over it yet? I was able to drive on it twice today - both times I was headed east bound... I cannot wait to head westbound on it.

They are now "tearing up" Pennsylvania Avenue. I thought they were going to simply repave it, because it was so rough. They also have signs up on Virginia Avenue near the city limits which suggests they are going to repave that road too, but its not all that bad... I have seen worse.

What puzzles me though is that tonight my dad was talking to his brother. His daughter lives on E. Cedar St., right off of VA Avenue. He said that the city bought her house and they told them they are going to put a 4-lane through there that supposed to run from 421, all the way to the bridge! If this is the case, its going to take SEVERAL houses (some historic) out along that 4 mile stretch. I am not sure about this... it seems like too much of a project for me at this time for the city to undergo.

Has anyone else heard?
I drove over the bridge east bound Friday on my way home, left then right onto State St, it was nice to see they finally opened it. Its sort of comical driving on a bridge with 2 east and west bound lanes in the middle of a city that doesn't command more thae one lane, felt like I was heading towards an interstate. Good to hear from you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol