Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Hubs and I have been debating for a few years now about relocating from the east coast of Florida to the Johnson City area. Has anyone moved to Tennessee from the coast of Florida and find that they miss it? We are native Floridians, having lived here for well over half a century.

We are just worried that we have so much sand in our shoes as they say, that it will be a hard adjustment.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,301 times
I moved from Bradenton back in 2005. I miss the flying cockroaches (palmetto bugs), sandspurs, fireants, hurricane evacuations, traffic, ever-rising property taxes, the intangibles tax, wheel taxes, escalating homeowner's insurance, separate flood insurance, and the rising gang-related crime. what else... the smell of burning orange peels, 98* days, with 98% humidity, and suburban sprawl... not too much else, though.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM

I hear you. I wouldn't miss those things either. But we have both lived within a couple of miles of the beach all of our lives, and not sure how much we would miss that open coastal feel. We both love the mountains, but sometimes they can seem a little claustrophobic.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,414 times
I went back to visit family 1 time in the last 7 years. Can't say I miss the city of Jackassville at all really. Just do miss some of my family though. I do kinda miss going to Mexico Beach (Gulf Coast) on weekends on a whim.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM

14 posts, read 53,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Hi all. Hubs and I have been debating for a few years now about relocating from the east coast of Florida to the Johnson City area. Has anyone moved to Tennessee from the coast of Florida and find that they miss it? We are native Floridians, having lived here for well over half a century.

We are just worried that we have so much sand in our shoes as they say, that it will be a hard adjustment.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.
I'm from Central Florida. I miss it more and more every day. Yes, there are problems there -- and everywhere else for that matter -- but after being in this area for six years I'd move back if I could.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Snooze, what do you miss the most about it?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 AM

14 posts, read 53,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Snooze, what do you miss the most about it?
I think my situation is less what I miss about Florida and more what I dislike about this area. We originally left Florida because we thought this would be a great place to raise a family. My children are young and one will be starting school shortly -- something that I now dread in this area. There are plenty of other reasons that I prefer not to post as to not turn your thread incendiary.

There are a few things about Florida I DO miss that I either never thought I would or took for granted my entire life...

The evenings, for example. I've taken several work-related trips back to Florida since I moved here six years ago. One thing that always strikes me is the sunset. There aren't any mountains in the way and as the sun sets the clouds turn into this beautiful display of red and purple for as far as you can see around you. Even though I don't live IN the mountains here I feel more like I'm in a fish bowl as there are still dips and hills that prevent the same view.

I liked the warm mornings and evenings. Maybe my blood hasn't thickened up or something but even in the summer I still get chilly here.

I also miss the atmosphere. I grew up on an island. Never lived more than an hour from the beach once I moved to Central Florida. Even when you live there and head out to the beach I always had this sense of "freedom." Kind of like being on vacation. It was a temporary reprieve from any stress I had and any time you go to a tourist area there's more of a "party vibe." I just haven't experienced that same atmosphere here.

All in all, I feel that it took my family moving here to appreciate what I took for granted back in Florida. I suppose that could be said for anyone making a move, however. Like I said, I've been here for six years now -- I'm past the point of missing Florida because I'm not acclimated -- I miss it because I feel like that's where I belong.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. There are other reasons why we are seeking to move, but among one is the corruption of the local politicians via their union with developers and the wealthy which is resulting in the devastating destruction of trees (many of them heritage live oaks) in our hometown of Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island. It is sad beyond belief that we are going down the tubes like the rest of FL in this respect.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 49,484 times
I lived in Fort Pierce for 39 years before moving to Hawkins County last April. I don't miss it & will never go back.....not even for a visit.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 AM

343 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I'm not from Florida originally but went to college in Gainesville. I miss friends from the area and the beautiful (albeit very short) winters, and that's about it.

I've been to Amelia Island a couple of times. It's nice, but I'm not into the heat or the beach culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol