U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM

7,967 posts, read 11,456,708 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I'm strongly considering a move back to Kingsport or Johnson City. I have not lived in the area since I was 18--but have been wanting to move back in the past few years or so. My family lives in Kingsport/Rogersville areas, so transitioning there will be mostly easy.

How is the job market in the tri-cities? That's my biggest concern for now.

I'll probably live in Kingsport, but also like Johnson City.

My target move date, if I decide to do it, would be Aug 1 arrival.

Thanks for the information!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM

31,163 posts, read 24,948,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Hey guys!

I'm strongly considering a move back to Kingsport or Johnson City. I have not lived in the area since I was 18--but have been wanting to move back in the past few years or so. My family lives in Kingsport/Rogersville areas, so transitioning there will be mostly easy.

How is the job market in the tri-cities? That's my biggest concern for now.

I'll probably live in Kingsport, but also like Johnson City.

My target move date, if I decide to do it, would be Aug 1 arrival.

Thanks for the information!
The job market, unless you're in medical or education, is terrible. This has been discussed at length in numerous other threads. If you have a solid professional job in CT, it is unlikely you will be able to find anything similar here, and if you can, it will probably pay less in real terms than CT, even after factoring in cost of living and tax changes.

Kingsport has had a tough time recently. The Fort Henry Mall is struggling and there is no movie theater in Kingsport (at least for now). Some new chain restaurants have opened and there is now a Target/Best Buy/Kohls and a few more stores on Highway 11E going toward Bristol on the outskirts. Bristol has had a lot of retail development on the VA side and the downtown is coming on well. Johnson City is the region's main employment center, such as it is, but is largely a two industry town - health care and education. Johnson City is also home to the better retail and dining experiences.

You need to secure a job before you move and do not move back without one.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM

7,967 posts, read 11,456,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The job market, unless you're in medical or education, is terrible. This has been discussed at length in numerous other threads. If you have a solid professional job in CT, it is unlikely you will be able to find anything similar here, and if you can, it will probably pay less in real terms than CT, even after factoring in cost of living and tax changes.

Kingsport has had a tough time recently. The Fort Henry Mall is struggling and there is no movie theater in Kingsport (at least for now). Some new chain restaurants have opened and there is now a Target/Best Buy/Kohls and a few more stores on Highway 11E going toward Bristol on the outskirts. Bristol has had a lot of retail development on the VA side and the downtown is coming on well. Johnson City is the region's main employment center, such as it is, but is largely a two industry town - health care and education. Johnson City is also home to the better retail and dining experiences.

You need to secure a job before you move and do not move back without one.
I've heard it's not so strong the past couple of years--at all. However, I work in the staffing industry here in New York City, and have several years of staffing and recruiting experience. I may target the staffing firms in Johnson City--which looks like there are at least 5 or 6--in order to secure a recruiter/account management role there. Or, another option would be to look at area hospitals and schools to see if they have recruitment roles available.
If I do move down, I'll start my job hunt in a couple of weeks. I've never had trouble finding a job anywhere really, but I do understand that the tri-cities has minimal job opportunities as compared to NYC.
A second option is Knoxville, since the job market there is super robust. As-a-matter-of-fact, Knoxville is only one of 3 cities (in addition to Dallas and Pittsburgh) to officially be "recovered and out of the recession"--as posted by the Brookings Institution late last year.
So we will see.

Thanks for the info!

On a sidenote, I really do think that the Ft Henry Mall will recover, but they have to focus on getting higher end stores like Gap, Abercrombie, etc., to survive. It was bleak when I was there a year ago though.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM

503 posts, read 860,620 times
I've been told by someone who works at Eastman that they are going to lose 50% of their workforce in the next 3-5 years due to retirements. I was incredulous; but he was very serious, and is fairly high up the ladder being a production manager. Hope he's right as that would create a lot of opportunity.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 PM

16,038 posts, read 30,135,624 times
Kingsport has done a great job with the downtown area but it still cannot equal what Johnson City has to offer. Eastman is doing well right now so that is great. Bristol is making positive efforts but is still a distant third. If I were coming back here from NY I would go to Knoxville. If I did move back to the Tri Cities I would go to Johnson City.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol