U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 19,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Fl PharmD,
Yes, you can find what you are looking for in the Tri-Cities. As for close to smaller towns for day to day shopping, look at Gray, (where I live), Jonesborough, Colonial Heights, Piney Flats, Blountville. And maybe a few more I have forgotten. But the way the Tri-Cities are laid out, no matter where or which direction you drive, you will have beautiful mountain views but not the windy mountain Rd's. There are grocery stores and a few others in areas outside Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol and you will see lots of trees and cow fields along the ways to these towns. And you can drive the 20 minutes or so to the cities for work.
There are lots of festivals in the Tri-cities all year long, you won't have a problem finding something to do in that respect just about every weekend,throughout spring, summer and fall.
The schools here are great too!
I hope that helps

I figured most of the area would be nice (and could also see that in the pictures you posted in some other threads), I just really needed some direction as to where to start looking. Thanks for giving me what I needed! I will make sure we check out those areas (Gray, Jonesborough, Colonial Heights, Piney Flats, Blountville) while we're in town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 04:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 20,028,735 times
Happy to help! If you need any other information before you get here, please feel free to ask, I will try to get you what you need.
When will you be here? I'll see if there any festivals going on in your time frame.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM

We will be there at the end of December through January 2nd, so we will be there over new years. We would have preferred to come see the fall colors, but due to school we were unable to get a week off until winter.

Thanks again!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:41 AM

359 posts, read 1,549,035 times
A lot of retired military attend college at ETSU in Johnson City or the local community college near Blountville. Many of the high schools have ROTC programs, if you would like to help teach that. You have to be within 5 years of military retirement (no longer than 5 years ago to land that kind of job). Sometimes veterans get jobs at the VA home in Johnson City.

I don't know about the $400 rent, but I'll bet you could find something about $500 - but like mbmouse said, keep watching the online papers. Or subscribe to one of the local papers - depending on what your plans are when you come.

Last edited by GrannyLois; 10-11-2006 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-11-2006, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 8,746 times
So far this year I have been to Tn 5 times. I'm from Port Orange Florida.(born R.I.) I wanted to find the best place to buy a home and to retire. I thought it would be Florida. "Big mistake" I have just been as far west as Cleveland, and traveled east. Spent about a month looking... All of the state that I have seen is quite beautiful, but I find the Tri-City area is the place I want to hang my hat.. I just love Jonesborough,Gray,Limestone,Rone Mountain and Bluff City. Just breath taking views of the mountains.. Seems what ever town you choose, your really not far from the city.Now I have to choose. Fell in love with Tennessee. I wish I had visited the state in my younger years,(I'm 61) if I did, I would be there now.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:30 AM

7,280 posts, read 20,028,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLPharmD View Post
...... Our neighborhood was about 10 minutes to town, the drive was decorated with trees and cow fields, and my parents knew EVERY one of my neighbors by first name. ......
Just for you!!!!
This is a very typical sight in east TN.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:13 PM

Woo Hoo! I'll take it!

Old 10-13-2006, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,039 times
Default B'ville to G'ville to ??

FLPD, fellow Brooksvillian here. Moved to TN for grad school and lived there for 10 years. My family and I are moving from Clearwater to the Tri-Cities in January. (My wife's family has had a place in Kingsport for a number of years).

Anyway, the area is much like B'ville in culture *except* they are not as keen on FL Gator football. Might wanna check out the TN Vols to get acclimated. Only drawback will be that (initially) if you are not in a subdivision in a bigger town (eg, Johnson City), then it may take you a bit more work to become involved with your neighbors and community. Much like Brooksville, many folks have known each other for years, and though they may be courteous to everyone, it might take some effort to get to know them.

Nothing different than any other southern town, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol