Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:54 PM

9 posts, read 21,426 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

After considering several places, my fiance and I are leaning toward northeastern Tennessee as a place to start our life together. We will be making a trip to the Tri Cities area in the end of December.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to places we might want to check out while there. Ideally, we are looking for someplace that is away from "the big city," but still within 20-30 minutes of civilization (ie groceries, gas, etc...). towns or areas with mountain views would be great, and we love the outdoors.

Also, we will be in the area over new years, so if there are any events/festivities for the evening please share.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 10:16 AM

74 posts, read 234,045 times
I think Kingsport has a public New Year party/festival thing going on in town. We read about it at the towns web sight. Warriors Path state park was nice just south of Kingsport.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,233,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLPharmD View Post
Hello All!

After considering several places, my fiance and I are leaning toward northeastern Tennessee as a place to start our life together. We will be making a trip to the Tri Cities area in the end of December.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to places we might want to check out while there. Ideally, we are looking for someplace that is away from "the big city," but still within 20-30 minutes of civilization (ie groceries, gas, etc...). towns or areas with mountain views would be great, and we love the outdoors.

Also, we will be in the area over new years, so if there are any events/festivities for the evening please share.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Hi,
Welcome to the forums! I live in the Tri-Cities and will be happy to answer any questions you may have if I can. If you are willing to drive 20-30 minutes to stores, you will find a lot of options in North East TN. There are a lot on nice communities and rural setting areas within 15 minutes drive to grocery stores, gas stations and a few other type stores. The two larges shopping areas of course are Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol.
We live in Gray, we don't feel like we are "in town", but we can get to J.C. in 10 minutes and Kingsport in 20.
What else are you looking for in a "home town"? Maybe with some more insight, we can give you some better options?

Old 10-08-2006, 11:22 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

As to the specifics, We ultimately want to buy a decent amount of property (~15-20 acres) to build a home on, but right now we are just looking for a "starter" home, in a smaller neighborhood with larger lots, say 1-2 acres at least, for around 200k or less. Also something with less restrictions/equine friendly would be great.

For the community, we like small towns. I'll try to give you some perspective:

I grew up in Brooksville, Florida, which until recent years consisted of only one major intersection with a couple shopping centers, a nice historic downtown, and many small "mom and pop" businesses. Our neighborhood was about 10 minutes to town, the drive was decorated with trees and cow fields, and my parents knew EVERY one of my neighbors by first name. Saturday nights consisted of a BBQ & bonfire with 3 of the other families on our street. When you went to the grocery store, you recognized the people there, and they recognised you. We had our fare share of "rednecks" but also a good mix of cultures. Nearby (about 20-30 min) was a large unincorporated area called "Spring Hill" where there were more conveniences and modern stores. The nearest large city (Tampa) was about an hour away.

Now the roads have been expanded to 6 lanes, the trees and cowfields are quickly turning into golf courses and "estate" homesites (which consist of 1/4th acre oooooh), and in the past 3-4 years have had 3 (yes 3) walmart supercenters built in a 7 mile radius. I'm sick of the idology that if you cut down a 100+ year old live oak and replace it with a palm tree you are making improvements to the landscape.

Anyways, enough of my rantings...

So to sum it up... Small town, open spaces, natural landscape, and a reasonable commute to at least a couple pharmacy chains / major grocers with a pharmacy (work)

And mountains... almost forgot. If not in the mountains, at least convenient to parks etc... would be great!!!

Sorry it's so long, thanks for the help!

P.S. when I say we are looking for a home, i really mean neighborhoods. It's a little early to buy a home as we're not planning on moving for over a year.

Last edited by FLPharmD; 10-08-2006 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: forgot something :)

Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,023,037 times
FLPharmD,are you Fishpharm on another forum ¿

Bones

Old 10-09-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
FLPharmD,are you Fishpharm on another forum ¿

Bones
Nope, not me. I just found this forum the other day

Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLPharmD View Post
Nope, not me. I just found this forum the other day
It was a different forum and he's from Florida and also works in a pharmacy.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:31 PM

9 posts, read 24,097 times
Default Tell me about the triciti area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hi,
Welcome to the forums! I live in the Tri-Cities and will be happy to answer any questions you may have if I can. If you are willing to drive 20-30 minutes to stores, you will find a lot of options in North East TN. There are a lot on nice communities and rural setting areas within 15 minutes drive to grocery stores, gas stations and a few other type stores. The two larges shopping areas of course are Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol.
We live in Gray, we don't feel like we are "in town", but we can get to J.C. in 10 minutes and Kingsport in 20.
What else are you looking for in a "home town"? Maybe with some more insight, we can give you some better options?
I live in Clinton SC. About 150 miles south of your area. I want to relocate to Tenn . There in Gray or Jonesboro could I find a small efficiency for around 400 per month. I am single retired Air Force and do not need much. Will probably l9ook for a full or P/T job. And i am drugfree. Anything you cuuld tell me about the area would be great. andy4911@aol.com

Old 10-10-2006, 08:12 AM

Fl PharmD,
Yes, you can find what you are looking for in the Tri-Cities. As for close to smaller towns for day to day shopping, look at Gray, (where I live), Jonesborough, Colonial Heights, Piney Flats, Blountville. And maybe a few more I have forgotten. But the way the Tri-Cities are laid out, no matter where or which direction you drive, you will have beautiful mountain views but not the windy mountain Rd's. There are grocery stores and a few others in areas outside Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol and you will see lots of trees and cow fields along the ways to these towns. And you can drive the 20 minutes or so to the cities for work.
There are lots of festivals in the Tri-cities all year long, you won't have a problem finding something to do in that respect just about every weekend,throughout spring, summer and fall.
The schools here are great too!
I hope that helps

Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker481 View Post
I live in Clinton SC. About 150 miles south of your area. I want to relocate to Tenn . There in Gray or Jonesboro could I find a small efficiency for around 400 per month. I am single retired Air Force and do not need much. Will probably l9ook for a full or P/T job. And i am drugfree. Anything you cuuld tell me about the area would be great. andy4911@aol.com
Hi,
Yes you should be able to find something in that rent range in a decent area. There isn't much available rent wise in Jonesborough and Gray, as much as Johnson City but if you keep an eye on the paper, things will pop up.
Here is the link. http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol