Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 AM

14 posts, read 35,791 times

Advertisements

Hello, Does anyone have any experience with the Cottages at Feathers Chapel in Blountville, TN. We're still trying to move to the Tri-city area and came across information on this place while searching Active Adult communities. We are retired and getting past the age of being able to do lots of yard work, so this maintenance free concept sounds interesting. Any info about this development or the surrounding area helpful. I noticed that the motor speedway is fairly close. Anyone have any info about how far the noise travels from that? We are currently outside Charlotte and have a speedway as well. We don't live anywhere near but we see news reports about residents close to it having problems with lots of noise now that they have expanded the raceway. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 AM

15,940 posts, read 20,906,769 times
Concerning noise, you might find this helpful
//www.city-data.com/forum/kings...-speedway.html

Old 05-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks. This was very helpful.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,775,445 times
I like the area a lot: it's scenic and convenient to each of the Tri-Cities. I've driven through the development once and thought it was very attractive. While technically in Bristol, the development is much closer to downtown Blountville (3 mi.) than it is to downtown Bristol (9 mi.).

The speedway is about 2 miles away and I'm sure you can hear the drone of the race cars, but we're only talking about a few days/nights each year so it should not be a major concern, IMO. Traffic, OTOH, will be a bear near the track during race weeks (in March & August).

There's a Food Country grocery store right in front of the Cottages, while Food City and a few small restaurants are within 2 miles. There's a Walmart Supercenter 5 miles away. The drive to the airport is about 15 minutes, while Kingsport & Johnson City's downtowns are within 30 minutes. Steele Creek Park (Bristol) is 15 minutes away and Warriors' Path State Park (Kingsport/Colonial Heights) is 20-25 minutes.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Thank you. We're taking in a show at the Barter and plan to take a look at the development on the way home. Good to know the info you provided. Thanks so much.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,332,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiaanne View Post
Thank you. We're taking in a show at the Barter and plan to take a look at the development on the way home. Good to know the info you provided. Thanks so much.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip. We are on our way to the Barter right now (he is driving) and we thoroughly enjoy going. We rarely miss a production.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM

218 posts, read 414,499 times
The Cottages at Feathers Chapel are an Epoch development which went into bankruptacy. If you like the look and are not tied to the Bristol area, you may want to look at the Villas of Browns Mill, just off I-26 at exit 20 in Johnson City. Same Epoch development. These are wonderfully built and very convenient to shopping, medical and interstate. The Villas have a very active adult community. Good luck in your home search.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM

My understanding is that they came out of bankruptcy about a year ago and are actively building again. Didn't know about the other one but will check it out. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,867,528 times
I went with my parents looking at these a few years ago. At the time, prices were starting at around $165k (I think) and most units around $200k, which is more than most seniors from this area can afford. They are very well maintained and convenient to Bristol and just a few minutes from the Blountville Food City and those restaurants, but 394 in that area is the heart of race weekend. If I was going to spend this amount of money on a home, it would not be in the Tri-Cities, and it certainly wouldn't be this close to the speedway. In my opinion, it is poor value for your dollar, even though it is a reasonably nice place

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Thank you. We were concerned about Race weekend as well. But we wanted to be a short drive from the Barter Theater and we wanted new construction where we could actually see a floor plan with dimensions so we could figure out what furniture might fit where--a difficult thing to do with existing construction. Old folks sometimes have accumulated pieces of furniture they just don't want to part with. So having a floor layout is so helpful. Also we were looking for something where we didn't have to do the yard work or shovel snow but we didn't want to share a wall with another unit. The larger homes at this place seem to fit that bill since the larger ones are detached. However, we are not married to Bristol area...two hours drive to Abingdon would be only half of what we do now...So if anyone out there knows of other new construction communities that would fit at least the part of this bill that makes them within 2 hours or less drive of Abingdon, VA...please speak up. We don't want to have to go more than $300,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol