Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,986 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would share. I had never heard of geocaching until I read about it in a local "free" paper--one of those you often find at restaurants in the area.

Anyway, this area has TONS of geocaches hidden all over the place ! I mean EVERYWHERE.

I don't want to promote a website or anything like that, but Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site is the main website and it's free to join. (I am in no way affiliated with the website). Click on "play" then "hide/seek a cache". Enter your zip code. Then once it shows the results click on "map this area" at the top of the screen. It's amazing how many there are.

What is Geocaching ?

Geocaching is like a treasure hunt where you download GPS coordinates to your device, and then go find the "cache" that is hidden. Some are very small with only a log book to sign your name, others are big with "swag" inside. (Usually happy meal toys, stickers, trinkets for kids, nothing expensive). You can trade swag items as long as it's an even trade or you leave something better than you found. The main rules are to be stealthy and always hide the cache back exactly as you found it. Then you can log your finds on the website. Car GPS does not really work for this activity.

Geocaching will take you to some unique places that you have never seen , even though you may have lived in this area all your life. As other geocachers will tell you, it's all about the journey...not necessarily about what you find.

We have had a blast so far doing this with our 2 kids. All you need is a GPS like hikers use OR a smart phone that will do the GPS. My kids really love finding the bigger caches with trinkets inside.

Just a suggestion for all those who are looking for something cheap to do with the family/kids. It seems to be a year round activity. We have found 15 so far and it is addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,154 times
I will stick with Gold Prospecting. It get me enough exercise trying to find it. Tomorrow is going to be a good little solo hike of about 4 miles one way with a day pack and equipment... then the work begins. Its the hunt that drives me.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 79,921 times
Geocaching is great. I've been doing it about 10 years now. Now that my daughter is old enough to look on her own, she is a fan too.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,469 times
I went geocaching once, and it was so hard!!! I don't know if all geocaching is as hard, but seriously, one of the geocaches was inside a fake, plastic poop. Who's going to check that??? Anyway, it was still really fun.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rita_the_prospector View Post
I went geocaching once, and it was so hard!!! I don't know if all geocaching is as hard, but seriously, one of the geocaches was inside a fake, plastic poop. Who's going to check that??? Anyway, it was still really fun.

I did find one of those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol