Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 PM

195 posts, read 275,564 times

Advertisements

A big issue in the Kingsport jobs market is underemployment and qualifications. Employers are looking outside the area for workers because they say they can't find enough people with the needed skills locally. There are currently 456 job openings listed for the Tri-Cities area at JobsforTN online.

The jobs contraction is region wide and has driven job totals in Bristol and Johnson City below pre-recession levels. Kingsport has fared better in that comparison. It has 1,015 more jobs than it did in June 2008 – the year before the recession hit here.

Kingsport jobless rate at 26-month high; Johnson City hit hardest in jobs downturn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
It's sad but not unexpected. I'd like to know what "skill disparities" there are, as most jobs I see for this area are low-end health care, call centers, retail, and food services - there aren't many skilled jobs in this area.

I will post something longer when I get home tonight, but these bad reports back up what I've been saying on these boards for months.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:15 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
Call centers arent terrible. They arent the best, but they usually pay better than retail and food service.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's sad but not unexpected. I'd like to know what "skill disparities" there are, as most jobs I see for this area are low-end health care, call centers, retail, and food services - there aren't many skilled jobs in this area.

I will post something longer when I get home tonight, but these bad reports back up what I've been saying on these boards for months.
I think some of "skills disparity" is code speak for too many body piercings, unwillingness to take a drug test or show up at designated times. That's an issue every where with some subsets of workers. The skills disparity I see when I look at the advertised jobs is nurse practitioners, RNs, chemical scientists and engineers, statisticians, etc. But I also no some folks who are having a tough time finding skilled people in the construction trades. I think the core issue is as much a symptom of the "new normal" for employment as our area. The Tri-Cities has done very well for a long time with a relocation and business model that relied on cheap labor because the large mfg. firms provided a vibrant core middle class. Technology and the recession has rendered many of those in that middle-class in the position of being jobless, taking a new job a big pay cut, going back to school or going off the grid into the gray economy. In all fairness to some of those folks many employers are setting degree-benchmark for jobs that don't require that type education. I think they're doing it because they think that getting a degree demonstrates a higher degree of commitment or responsibility. There is also no clearinghouse or efforts to set up a temporary or contract employment clearing house for semi-retired or retired people who have to or want to continue to work. It's a big labor resource going to waste.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Page2 View Post
I think some of "skills disparity" is code speak for too many body piercings, unwillingness to take a drug test or show up at designated times.
This statement simply cannot be overstressed. Its a huge problem. Especially the body piercings- these kids will get all kinds of visible piercings and wonder why they cant get a high paying job.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
This statement simply cannot be overstressed. Its a huge problem. Especially the body piercings- these kids will get all kinds of visible piercings and wonder why they cant get a high paying job.
There have always been people like this everywhere - it really has no more merit in the Tri-Cities than anywhere else. Also, it's difficult to even get an interview where appearance counts. Before an interview, appearance means nothing.

Quote:
The skills disparity I see when I look at the advertised jobs is nurse practitioners, RNs, chemical scientists and engineers, statisticians, etc. But I also no some folks who are having a tough time finding skilled people in the construction trades. I think the core issue is as much a symptom of the "new normal" for employment as our area.
With the exception of the nurses, the Tri-Cities isn't a hotbed of knowledge occupations. The chemical jobs and statistician jobs are usually at Eastman, and since there is nowhere locally to get advanced training in these disciplines, of course these companies will have to bring in workers from elsewhere. These are also niche occupations - there isn't going to be much demand for statisticians in the low-knowledge economy of the Tri-Cities.

Corporations frequently lament these skills gaps, but seldom offer solutions to fix the problem.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,025 times
Quote:
But I also no some folks who are having a tough time finding skilled people in the construction trades.
What skills are they looking for in construction?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 AM

I have one associated who is a home builder. Even with the slight uptick in new home construction here, he is having a hard time scheduling what he call prime subcontractors (electrical, plumbing and heating and air conditioning. There are apparently lots of guys with pickups, but most of them don't deliver quality work. In build that means it has to be redone - an unacceptable addition to the bottom line. That's probably one of the reasons for such a big focus on trades at the high school and community college level. At the same time there's a good number of ads for lab techs.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,841 times
Quote:
That's probably one of the reasons for such a big focus on trades at the high school and community college level. At the same time there's a good number of ads for lab techs.
Good luck getting a job with those degrees. The people I went to school with are not getting any job offers and nor am I.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,025 times
I think a problem with trades is money and amount of jobs. Low amount and then low money offers. I know with Welding, most are Production MIG jobs around $10 / hr. Other welding processes are very few and far between. You have to go on the road to earn the money, meaning out of the area.

I am trying to get into the Pipefitters Local and the one contact says things are pretty slow there too right now.

HVAC, I know Northeast has their program but I don't know anyone in it or graduated from it to know how things look for them.

I get school emails from Career Services at Northeast State and it is rare to see anything for any trades from it. Charter shows up regularly it seems but I would not consider that trades. One from AEP for a line mechanic (electric lines) to be trained.

This area is pretty dead for trades which means people leave the area for the jobs. 2 of my classmates have left. I am more than likely going to do the same thing as soon as I can afford to. Just waiting to hear from 2 different positions locally and or have the money to do so to decide.

Last edited by BP72; 07-27-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol