U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM

125 posts, read 145,393 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to tri-cities TN from AZ. Husband works for Eastman, we have 2 kids, elementary and middle school, so school district is important. We've narrowed it down to Johnson City. However, while researching houses online, there are a few that come up as smack in the middle of JC boundaries but the address is Gray, TN as well as one in Butler and one in Piney Flats. The schools are listed as some JC schools and some Boones Creek schools.

1. How does that work - in TN are you able to choose which nearby school to attend, or are they assigned based on address? Why would both districts be listed? I'm not familiar with county vs. city schools, but the JC schools are certainly rated better.

2. How/why are some houses listed as Gray or Butler, while they seem to be well within Johnson city, according to the zillow map? Is it just an overlap of counties or school systems?

Thanks so much!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM

7,064 posts, read 8,281,212 times
Johnson City has annexed many portions of surrounding towns...mostly because of upper scale housing developments which have tax revenue, and whose residents are used to the higher level of services provided by the City as opposed to Washington County.

I don't mean that to sound arrogant.

For Eastman, you want to be in the Grey area, but in a portion of Johnson City. Take a look at Lake Harbor Estates, for example. You go in there off of Washington County roads...narrow, unkempt, but once you get there, the streets are wide, smooth, and well maintained. Many of the developments annexed by Johnson city are on Boone Lake which is a desirable asset to many.

From what I know, you want to be in the Johnson City School System. Science Hill is the High School, I believe.

Yes, it is all a bit odd. Living in Johnson City, but having an address for another town. The best thing is to come and spend some time with a good realtor who will take you around, show you the area, point out and explain the nuances, and help get you into a house with the features which you desire.

BTW, housing seems to have taken a turn north recently. Lots of sales of better homes. I am guessing we will start to see some price pressure to the upside soon enough, but for now, there are plenty of decent homes still available.

Good luck. Come visit. Rub elbows with the locals and transplants and you will sort it all out soon enough.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Thank you! It was very confusing to see houses in JC but with a different address. I've seen some listings for Lake Harbor Estates and I've been told that Science Hill high school is definitely the district we want. My husband has been with Eastman for a while now, so he has been there quite a few times. Apparently, a number of his colleagues with school-aged children live in/recommend Johnson City. We are planning to go for a visit and look around in the next 2 months. We're debating if we want to make the move soon or wait until the school year finishes. He works a lot from home and travels, so we have some time to decide.

We'd LOVE a house on the lake and the prices we've seen look reasonable. However, we do not want to be too rural. We are used to being in a neighborhood with other families, friends for the kids, good schools, etc. - a community that's not too isolated.

Thank you for your help.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,323,084 times
Johnson City Schools - School Zoning Maps

Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Thank you! Hard to read, but useful!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,040,075 times
Question for the OP:

If hubby is working for Eastman, why not live in Kingsport?

I only ask because:
  1. Smaller commute and save on gas.
  2. There isn't a hair's breadth of difference between KPT city schools and JC schools in terms of reputation, achievement, etc.
  3. there are some wonderful neighborhoods in KPT as well (Preston Forest I & II/Woods, Ridgefields, A good portion of the Watauga region, Some areas in Colonial Heights, etc.
  4. there is a slightly better traffic situation in KPT compared to JC.
  5. Shopping is slowly pulling even with JC (and most of us don't find it too tedious/hard to drive from one to the other when needing something specific.)

Last edited by Starman71; 09-07-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 PM

Honestly, I don't quite know for sure!! I've not visited there, but I know that my husband's colleagues have advised that JC schools are the best, but now that I look at them, they are really not rated very differently. There seems to be a bigger disparity in elementary schools, though. My concerns about Kingsport vs. JC were:

1. Schools - but that may not be an accurate perception on my part. My daughter is very advanced, has already skipped a grade and is in all gifted classes and is still bored. I worry about her. But my son is absolutely average in terms of academics and I want the best school for both of them - but I want them at the same school/district!

2. Quality of the houses and neighborhoods. We are very used to planned communities/neighborhoods/HOAs... not that I think these places are necessarily the greatest... but my kids are used to a neighborhood with lots of friends in walkable/bike-able distance. Don't want to be too rural. But again, my perception from preliminary research may not be very accurate!! From some basic Zillow searches, my feeling was that the JC neighborhoods were more like what we have here.

3. Um - the smell?? I've heard that it is noticeable. Is that true?

I hope to visit in the next month or two to get a better sense of things. We have plenty of time, so we are considering building, if that's a viable option.

Any opinions on either place are most welcome and appreciated!! Another concern I have is that TN is heavily Christian - being the Bible Belt, I expected that, but some of the things I'm seeing have me worried - as if it's not just "christian" but perhaps not accepting of others of other faiths. Please forgive if that sounds rude. We have lived in 3 different countries, my husband is not American (though is now a citizen) and has been quite taken aback by the lack of diversity, acceptance, and/or prevalence of religion in areas (such as schools) we would not expect. I know that TN may not be the perfect fit religiously, but we like it and like his job at Eastman and want to make this work for our family.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,040,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombattver View Post
Honestly, I don't quite know for sure!! I've not visited there, but I know that my husband's colleagues have advised that JC schools are the best, but now that I look at them, they are really not rated very differently. There seems to be a bigger disparity in elementary schools, though. My concerns about Kingsport vs. JC were:

1. Schools - but that may not be an accurate perception on my part. My daughter is very advanced, has already skipped a grade and is in all gifted classes and is still bored. I worry about her. But my son is absolutely average in terms of academics and I want the best school for both of them - but I want them at the same school/district!

I can't speak for the specific schools in each district, but your children would be well covered in either one. In terms of public schools in the state, both have excellent rankings.

2. Quality of the houses and neighborhoods. We are very used to planned communities/neighborhoods/HOAs... not that I think these places are necessarily the greatest... but my kids are used to a neighborhood with lots of friends in walkable/bike-able distance. Don't want to be too rural. But again, my perception from preliminary research may not be very accurate!! From some basic Zillow searches, my feeling was that the JC neighborhoods were more like what we have here.

We went house shopping about 3 months ago, and we looked in both KPT and JC, even though it would take my children out of the school district I teach in. Frankly, we preferred the neighborhoods in KPT, if only because of traffic. But - and of course this is just our personal opinions - there's not much difference in selection.

3. Um - the smell?? I've heard that it is noticeable. Is that true?

True, KPT does have that. I grew up there and would hardly notice it, but if the wind was right...
We go back frequently - as we live in Jonesborough - to see my parents and still don't notice anymore. But the first time you go, it might be much more noticeable. It is something you get used to but that's a personal preference.

I hope to visit in the next month or two to get a better sense of things. We have plenty of time, so we are considering building, if that's a viable option.

Any opinions on either place are most welcome and appreciated!! Another concern I have is that TN is heavily Christian - being the Bible Belt, I expected that, but some of the things I'm seeing have me worried - as if it's not just "christian" but perhaps not accepting of others of other faiths. Please forgive if that sounds rude. We have lived in 3 different countries, my husband is not American (though is now a citizen) and has been quite taken aback by the lack of diversity, acceptance, and/or prevalence of religion in areas (such as schools) we would not expect. I know that TN may not be the perfect fit religiously, but we like it and like his job at Eastman and want to make this work for our family.
JC would probably have the edge in terms of diversity - but not much of one. It is home to a mid-size University, and has a slightly larger population than KPT, so it probably has a larger diversity, as well. Saying that though, I must add that the difference might not that large, as this region is still predominately Protestant.

Honestly, you couldn't go wrong with either choice, as both will give you most of what your family needs and wants. Good Luck.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 AM

704 posts, read 1,335,661 times
Its just funny to see traffic being posed as a reason for Kingsport over JC. I picked JC over Kingsport for the very reason that its easier to get around JC than Kingsport. I guess everyone should just drive around both and get a feel for themselves. I like the layout of Johnson City so much more than Kingsport or Bristol.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions and insight! Another reason my husband said JC is recommended is that when you work at Eastman and live in KP, everywhere you go, you run into people who know you and work with/for you. A few of his colleagues have expressed that they feel this happens less in JC. Not that it's totally a bad thing, but I understand their point. I think we'll start our search in JC and spread out from there if need be. Still hoping for a house on the lake, or in a community with a marina, but I don't know how possible that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol