Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 08:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,792,507 times

Advertisements

Series of articles running this week in the Kingsport Times-News:

Job layoffs. Factory closings. Mass exodus. Vacant houses. Depressed market.

Words that could describe Kingsport not so long ago.

But not anymore.

During the next few days, the Kingsport Times-News will look back on life in the city just a few years ago, and what happened to turn the tide.

Tri-Cities, Tennessee Personal News and Media Center
---------------------------------------

Model City undergoing commercial, cultural change

A commercial and cultural renaissance is taking place in downtown Kingsport, where vacant buildings and ordinary streets have been transformed into new businesses, musical forums and a scene of art.

Model City, former retail powerhouse, comes full circle

The city, once known as the retailing center of the region, had lost its competitive edge.

"The bottom line — there is a great deal of wealth in Kingsport, but a lot of that wealth was being spent outside of Kingsport, and we had to figure out a way to keep it here," said Miles Burdine, chief executive officer of the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce.

At the economic summit in November 1999, city leaders decided to make retail development one of the city’s top priorities.

Kingsport putting higher education within reach of its residents

When people in the Tri-Cities think about higher education, places such as East Tennessee State University and the University of Tennessee probably come to mind. Now, through some behind-the-scenes work of local leaders and educators, higher education has become a reality for the Model City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM

115 posts, read 595,185 times
Quite interesting, thanks!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:25 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,282,018 times
Thanks for sharing this! I work in Kingsport and I am very interested in the downtown revitalization and have just been blow away with all the changes! I think it is just wonderful and now I really enjoy spending time in the downtown area, especially Main and Broad area, that is really the catalyst of the "new" area. And the great part is it isn't new, it is just updated. There are great shops and restaurants. Everyone involved has been doing great things in a short time. I had never really payed much attention as I drove by before, now I stop LOL!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol