Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 19,135 times

Advertisements

My family is planning to move to JohnsonCity next summer. My husband,me and our 3 daughters,ages 17,6,3 when we move. We are an interracial family,I am black my husband is white. I have lived in Mississippi and Texas but my husband has never lived down south,but we think it is a better place to raise our children. We are currently in southern california and we can't wait to leave. Where are the "non-ghetto" areas of JC? We will more than likely rent first,so maybe looking at 900-1000a month. We will also be looking for churches,preferably non-denominational with a racially diverse congregation. So where are the better areas? Somewhere near any hospitals or nursing homes will be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
If you are renting for 900-1000 per month, its most likely that you will be in a "non-ghetto" area. My opinion is that you will not see a "ghetto" type area here. Certainly nowhere where I would feel unsafe. Others will probably differ in that opinion, some get scared just by looking at an old house.

Seems like there was a thread on here about the types of churches that you mentioned not long ago. Might want to check that out.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:29 PM

343 posts, read 1,046,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
My opinion is that you will not see a "ghetto" type area here. Certainly nowhere where I would feel unsafe. Others will probably differ in that opinion, some get scared just by looking at an old house.

Agreed.The nice thing about Johnson City is that while there are certainly areas that are lower-income, they still tend to be tidy. I haven't seen anywhere in this area that I would feel unsafe, at any hour of the day.

As for the church issue, that was covered in another thread. I don't attend services, but as this area is very homogenous (Johnson City is over 90% White) the likelihood of finding a super-racially-diverse church is small.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
Default JC Resident All My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmshaw70 View Post
My family is planning to move to JohnsonCity next summer. My husband,me and our 3 daughters,ages 17,6,3 when we move. We are an interracial family,I am black my husband is white. I have lived in Mississippi and Texas but my husband has never lived down south,but we think it is a better place to raise our children. We are currently in southern california and we can't wait to leave. Where are the "non-ghetto" areas of JC? We will more than likely rent first,so maybe looking at 900-1000a month. We will also be looking for churches,preferably non-denominational with a racially diverse congregation. So where are the better areas? Somewhere near any hospitals or nursing homes will be good.

I believe you would love North JC. Much more upperclass and still in your range for rent. Better elementary schools for your younger children. Your 17 year old will enjoy the shopping centers in North JC.

I will tell you a great church for you...First Christian Church on Mount Castle right down from the mall. It is a larger church with much diversity. Great people. African Americans, Whites, Hispanic, Indian..you name it. It is not non-denominational.

Good luck on your move!! If you have anymore questions, I'd be happy to help.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM

22 posts, read 56,585 times
I am also considering a move to JC and this thread caught my attention as a church is a major prioirity for me in where i go - i checked out First Christian Church's website and they state that they are non denominational (maybe mrsmshaw just missed that or a misprint?) I am just looking too so, i took note of it because that's what I'm looking for as well. I was under the beliefs tab i believe. Five of my children (grown now) are from Liberia West Africa so that was an issue for me as well. Best to you, maybe we'll meet there one day

Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmshaw70 View Post
Hi there! I think everything will be just fine and you will love it here. I live in Bristol (one of the cities that makes up the Tri-Cities and about 20 miles NE of JC), but visit JC often. There are many nice areas. I am sure there are some "projects" areas, especially on the south side of town if I recall. We ended up in a little area on the south side of town when we were looking for a house for a yard sale item that was for sale on the internet... I personally felt a little uncomfortable in that area, as did my mom, but maybe that was just us? lol.

In Bristol, we have a "ghetto" area that it fairly scary at night, so I am sure JC has one of these somewhere on that south side, but like someone mentioned, your price range will get you a nice place!

Hope your move is smooth! See you in June!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,941 times
Default How Was your move?

How was your move? Did you find a place? Did you find a church? I am sooo happy to see this post because my husband and I are packing NOW to move to Johnson City this weekend (I start a job there on Monday) and we are also an intercultural couple (I'm black and he is white). Our children are all grown though. We are also interested in finding a church home and a place to live. We will be in an extended stay hotel as we don't know anyone there. Blessings to you!

Old 09-26-2020, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyFamily View Post
How was your move? Did you find a place? Did you find a church? I am sooo happy to see this post because my husband and I are packing NOW to move to Johnson City this weekend (I start a job there on Monday) and we are also an intercultural couple (I'm black and he is white). Our children are all grown though. We are also interested in finding a church home and a place to live. We will be in an extended stay hotel as we don't know anyone there. Blessings to you!

Thank you for replying to my direct message. It was very encouraging. Are people cliquish in church? Have you guys been able to find a good community and fellowship? Or people are more superficial like hi and bye and small talk and thats it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol