Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but it's hard to imagine that someone who lived in SW Florida would find Greene County's heat & humidity so oppressive. Not saying it's not true, it's just hard to believe.

During about a 10-day stretch in late June-early July of 2012, much of the nation -- including Chuckey & the rest of NE Tenn. -- experienced record-breaking heat. It was miserable in many, many places. But I know for a fact that the average summer afternoon dew point pretty much anywhere in NE Tenn. is lower almost every day than any part of SW Florida. After examining the data for several different places, it looks like it's generally a 5-7 degree difference.

After living for many years in Atlanta, I can say that truly sticky, muggy summer days are much more frequent there than they are here. I do not like hot, humid weather one iota but am very rarely "incapacitated" by insufferable, blanketing days here, unlike Atlanta. Still, when making comparisons, facts matter to me more than anecdotes.

In the heat index rankings of the nation's largest metro areas that was published last year, Cape Coral-Fort Myers was ranked 15th with a heat index of 92.2, while Johnson City was 189th with a heat index of 82.5.

And for the 3 summers that PABlondie lived in Chuckey, here's how the temperatures and dew points compared between Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI) in Blountville and Southwest Florida International Airport (SWF) in Fort Myers. FWIW, Blountville is typically 1-2 degrees cooler than Greeneville/Chuckey.

June-August, 2010-12
Average high temp: TRI 88, SWF 91
Average low temp: TRI 64, SWF 74
Mean temp: TRI 76, SWF 82
Average dew point: TRI 64, SWF 73

This year we're enjoying a slightly cooler-than-normal summer in the Tri-Cities, with a max temp of 87 degrees over the past 4 weeks. That's unusual but I'm not complaining!

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Dew Points

Unisys Weather - Dewpoint Contour - Current

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/tennessee/dew-points/

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/florida/dew-points/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
While I really appreciate PABlondie's input some of her evaluations were puzzling. For instance we live in Central MD and know Hagerstown well. We've also been to and through Harrisonburg PA many times on the way to the Poconos (through Scranton). I was really surprised to hear her say the humidity is noticably different between Hagerstown and Harrisonburg. I looked it up on the CD profile page and Frederick, MD (30 miles from Hagerstown and if anything a bit warmer as it's at the start of the mountains) and Frederick and Harrisoinburg have virtually the same humidity levels. Living 90 miles from Harrisonburg I just can't believe the weather is that much different than here.

//www.city-data.com/city/Harris...nsylvania.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Frederick-Maryland.html

With that said JC's humidity is certainly higher. I need to explore the heat indexes of JC vs where we live.

I did find her suggestion of Abbington VA to be interesting. We sat down and had a pizza with a local in JC and after explaining our situation she also made this suggestion. Looking at a map it seems too small and too far from a big city for stuff you need but worth a look.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:57 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
I'm sorry, but it's hard to imagine that someone who lived in SW Florida would find Greene County's heat & humidity so oppressive. Not saying it's not true, it's just hard to believe.

During about a 10-day stretch in late June-early July of 2012, much of the nation -- including Chuckey & the rest of NE Tenn. -- experienced record-breaking heat. It was miserable in many, many places. But I know for a fact that the average summer afternoon dew point pretty much anywhere in NE Tenn. is lower almost every day than any part of SW Florida. After examining the data for several different places, it looks like it's generally a 5-7 degree difference.

After living for many years in Atlanta, I can say that truly sticky, muggy summer days are much more frequent there than they are here. I do not like hot, humid weather one iota but am very rarely "incapacitated" by insufferable, blanketing days here, unlike Atlanta. Still, when making comparisons, facts matter to me more than anecdotes.

In the heat index rankings of the nation's largest metro areas that was published last year, Cape Coral-Fort Myers was ranked 15th with a heat index of 92.2, while Johnson City was 189th with a heat index of 82.5.

And for the 3 summers that PABlondie lived in Chuckey, here's how the temperatures and dew points compared between Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI) in Blountville and Southwest Florida International Airport (SWF) in Fort Myers. FWIW, Blountville is typically 1-2 degrees cooler than Greeneville/Chuckey.

June-August, 2010-12
Average high temp: TRI 88, SWF 91
Average low temp: TRI 64, SWF 74
Mean temp: TRI 76, SWF 82
Average dew point: TRI 64, SWF 73

This year we're enjoying a slightly cooler-than-normal summer in the Tri-Cities, with a max temp of 87 degrees over the past 4 weeks. That's unusual but I'm not complaining!

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Dew Points

Unisys Weather - Dewpoint Contour - Current

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/tennessee/dew-points/

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/florida/dew-points/
Can you possibly post or send me the link that shows heat index by city? I'd like to compare JC to Frederick, MD or maybe Baltimore.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol