U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 AM

14,048 posts, read 8,344,793 times

Advertisements

Hey all, not sure if I am remembered but I was here a few years ago researching possible retirement destinations. JC was the first place I looked into and after the winter we've had it has now re-surfaced as the leader in the clubhouse.

I looked over the weather patterns and found that it is about 5 degrees per day warmer this time of year than the weather we have here in Maryland. Although the temps are about the same in July, 1 degree cooler in JC, what jumped out at me was the humidity levels. It's pretty humid in Maryland but apparently even more so in TN, guess that is the trade off for moving south.

Anyway I was wonder if any posters here have relocated from the mid-Atlantic (PA, VA, WV, DE all have about the same weather) and can give me an idea on how it feels in comparison to what we are used to. I gotta tell you one trip to Charleston, SC in June scared the crap out of me. We went out in the morning to play golf, it was only 82, but 2 steps outside and it felt like the rice fields of Laos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM

7,343 posts, read 8,685,490 times
You should consider Johnson City, for instance, as a unique micro climate, not to be compared with Knoxville, Nashville, or Asheville.

Anything on the 'other' side of the Mountains--Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, etc, is VERY humid. Maybe a little less in Asheville due to the elevation, but still humid. In my opinion, the southeast side of the mountains is disgustingly so, and not worth consideration if you don't 'enjoy' humidity.

Ditto for west Tennessee. Memphis is 'deep south' sultry humidity.

Johnson City is humid during August--don't ask me why, but that is the time of year for humidity. On balance, look it up at the national weather service site, but you will find that JC's location in/at the foothills of the Mountains keeps it cooler and less humid than many 'northern' areas. Certainly a LOT less humid than Maryland, NJ, CT, and even NY. I came from Central NY and JC is less humid than even there, on average, but August is sticky--not disgustingly so, but still humid.

For the same reasons--elevation/mountains the severe storms/tornados don't make it into the JC hills. The storms get broken apart as they approach.

I HATE humidity and have found the area here to be very comfortable all but just a handful of days.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,428,485 times
I won't mention a competitor's website but if you Google the term "sizzling cities" and click on the first link that comes up, you'll see a list of 361 metropolitan areas ranked by heat index. That site's heat index formula "not only uses the average summer high temperature, but also includes the nighttime low temperature and dew point."

Some pertinent rankings along with their heat index:

55. Charleston, SC (90.6)
139. Baltimore, MD (85.6)
189. Johnson City, TN (82.5)

Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
I won't mention a competitor's website but if you Google the term "sizzling cities" and click on the first link that comes up, you'll see a list of 361 metropolitan areas ranked by heat index. That site's heat index formula "not only uses the average summer high temperature, but also includes the nighttime low temperature and dew point."

Some pertinent rankings along with their heat index:

55. Charleston, SC (90.6)
139. Baltimore, MD (85.6)
189. Johnson City, TN (82.5)
Well these are certainly interesting numbers. I found mine on another site and it listed JC humidity at around 90 in the summer, Frederick MD (closest city to us) at around 85%.

Thanks for the encouraging report and the feedback. I did see where east of the mountains is much more humid, thanks to you as well Ted Bear.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 AM

14,398 posts, read 18,184,898 times
Hi Dave!
Weather/humidity was one of my main concerns when looking to move from Memphis. I found that dew points were a good indication of comfort level.
"As a general rule of thumb, in the summertime, if you have a dew point of 60 to 65 that is considered a bit humid, and over 65 is considered very humid, 70 or above is considered tropical humid!"

Here are a couple of handy dandy links if you want to explore the subject yourself a little bit and make some comparisons between cities.
Heat Index Calculation
Dew point vs. Humidity
Weather History for Tri-Cities, TN vs Weather History for Frederick, MD
Hope these help a bit.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Hey Double T, good to see you again.

So if I understand your links I see the dew pt in JC in August is tropical, then I go to Frederick MD and it's even worse! Interesting and obviously good news.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 AM

982 posts, read 1,531,799 times
July is the rainiest month of the year for the Tri-Cities, so it can be quite humid.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 AM

So the wife and I are going to take a trip, is May the best weather? June?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM

7,343 posts, read 8,685,490 times
Any time from Mid March/April forward will be delightful. If you want to spend some time up on the Blue Ridge parkway on the way down you might wish to wait until May or so....by then the leaves will start to emerge up there, and the temps will be a little warmer.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM

14,398 posts, read 18,184,898 times
I tend to enjoy spring the best, but if you want to gauge what it is like during summer then probably June or July would give you a better indication of whether or not the humidity would be bearable for you.
If you want to plan around something fun to do here are some links to explore, gives you a chance to interact with locals and other visitors.
Roan Mountain, Tennessee - Rhododendron Festival
Blue Plum Festival
FunFest, Kingsport Tennessee
www.sycamoreshoalstn.org
19th Annual Iris Festival
Townsend Spring Festival and Old Timers Day
Border Bash
Full Moon Jam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>