Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,871 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am so glad that I found this forum. My husband and I have been talking for a while about moving to Tn but the thougth to him was not something that he was really interested in until about 6 months ago. ( I have lived in Middle Tennessee before moving back to Wa. Loved it and have dearly missed it.) Since he is now in favor of moving there we are actively looking to move there including my husband transfering to one of his company branches in the Tri-Cities area. We will be visiting the end of March to meet with a realitor (already pre-approved for a home loan), and for my husband to interview with the branch there. We have looked to purchasing homes here in Washington but in the area in which we would have to live for him to keep driving his company vehicle home and have a reasonable commute are out. My husband has been with his company for 10 years and has enjoyed his job. He knows after talking with the branch there that he would be taking a substantial pay cut when transferred but to own a home, be in the country, get away from the Washington politics and costs we are willing to do it being that we have saved money and know that we will have extra money to help sustain us until I find work. We have a lot of concerns obviously but also look forward to owning a home and getting our children more of what we have wanted to give them for years.

We are looking to move this summer in any of the following areas:
Blountville, Piney Flats, Bluff City, Elizabethton, Fall Branch, Mount Caramel, Church Hill, Jonesborough, Unicoi, Erwin.

We are seeking any information that you can give good or bad. Our children's ages are 16,10, and 7.. Our youngest has special needs and will eventually need a kidney transplant so having pediatric care available is a must although we know that we will be making several trips to Vanderbuilt also.

We have all the concerns anyone would have with moving to an area and know that what you can find in research which we have several hours invested already is a start but actually talking with people from the area gives the best picture.

Thank you for your time,

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
There are some considerations. If you need to be near Vanderbilt for many repeat trips, there are areas equally affordable closer to Nashville. Whether your husband's company has branches there or not is unknown.

However, if you're sold on the Tri-Cities, know that there is a St. Jude's-affiliated hospital at the Johnson City Medical Center (Niswonger Children's Hospital). Also, the cost of living might not be that much lower than you are expecting. Depending on where you're coming from in Washington state, you might save substantially on housing, especially if you are willing to invest over time in a modest fixer-upper. I don't believe you will realize any savings on food or household supplies. Also, make sure you research energy costs for areas that you are considering. These charges can generally be found on utilities' websites or by making a phone call.

There are two things going for you, that your husband will transfer in with a job and that you have saved for this move. The economic outlook for the Tri-Cities is not that strong; it seems to be on the cusp of an extended period of malaise that may characterize many non-metropolitan regions of our country for some time to come. If your husband were to lose his job, there is little guarantee that he will find a replacement in this area. (Depending... obviously there are exceptions.)

What type of work will you be looking for? Also, the geographical distance between Mount Caramel and Erwin is quite large. If you can tell us where your husband will be working (a general area), that would be helpful.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,871 times
Thank you Jabogitlu for your reply. The area in which my husband would be getting transferred to is in Blountville and unfortunately there is not any other corporate branches in Tn that he could transfer too plus he is a little concerned about the middle Tennessee area with the tornado activity which is higher than eastern TN. I have told him time after time there are people that have lived in tornado alley for their lives and have never seen a tornado.

Cost for homes are far less expensive there than here. Other costs we are looking into. Our electricity and gas runs us approx. $240 per month in the winter months September - May and about $150 in the Summer months. Our water bill runs us about $90-110 per month and garbage runs $64 a month. Other costs such as groceries ect I know are pretty comparible.

I have worked in management for the last 3 years but have a work history than includes work in the retail sector to working as a legal assistant at our local court house. I also have a medical office assistant certificate and hope to go back to school for a nursing degree. Another idea that I have been persuing is opening my own business.

Again we are open for any information good and bad.

Thank you for your time.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I wouldn't do it.

One reason people come to east TN is for the tax savings, especially no income tax. You already live in a state with no income tax. TN's sales tax is very high, so you won't save anything there, and that leaves property taxes, taxes on real property, and fees. While you will likely save some in taxes, the differences are not going to be as pronounced as someone coming from NY, NJ, etc. Food is more expensive in east TN than you may expect. I am from Kingsport, but am in suburban Boston right now, and was shocked to find more organic items at Whole Foods cheaper than the conventional item at Food City, rather than the other way around.

Second reason is that you're taking an income cut. While you may be able to reduce your expenses, as long as you're doing okay now, why not funnel the extra money you're making into retirement? After the changes in expenses, would your net disposable income be the same, less, or more? When people consider east TN, they just get "cheap" on the brain without taking into account the very low wages for most positions. When the math is done, many people are better off staying in a normal area.

As jabogitlu said very diplomatically, the economy in east TN is very poor. There is no jobs recovery and no reason to believe that things will improve in the near term. I wouldn't recommend this part of the state for anyone who needs to work. Period.

If you want to come to TN for low taxes and conservative politics, virtually any part of the state will fit the bill AND be better economically than the Tri-Cities. The Tri-Cities is a depressed area that is going nowhere.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Having made a similar move from WA state to East TN, I'd say this, make the move based on whats really important. I moved here, as my mom lives in Jonesborough, it's vastly easier to get into Nursing school here than in WA state (I have graduated from TTC as an LPN and recently from ETSU as an RN). And I like the conservative politics and generally common sense of the people/government compared to other parts of the country.

What you won't find is an economic reason to move here, wages are low, decent newer home prices are comparable to most parts of the country and the taxes as compared to WA state are no better (I have a very detailed post about the property tax comparison posted on these forums back from 2006).

Good luck with your move, just be forewarned, if you base your budget and lifestyle on a company with a single branch in East TN, you run the very real risk of being economically vulnerable if something should happen to that job as they are hard to replace.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I wouldn't recommend this part of the state for anyone who needs to work. Period.

If you want to come to TN for low taxes and conservative politics, virtually any part of the state will fit the bill AND be better economically than the Tri-Cities. The Tri-Cities is a depressed area that is going nowhere.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM

15 posts, read 29,583 times
This......

Quote:
As jabogitlu said very diplomatically, the economy in east TN is very poor. There is no jobs recovery and no reason to believe that things will improve in the near term. I wouldn't recommend this part of the state for anyone who needs to work. Period.

and this...

Quote:
Good luck with your move, just be forewarned, if you base your budget and lifestyle on a company with a single branch in East TN, you run the very real risk of being economically vulnerable if something should happen to that job as they are hard to replace.
Be very thorough in your research; the posters who have replied have a history of informative and accurate discussions on the tri-cities region. Look them up.

Quote:
.....it's vastly easier to get into Nursing school here than in WA state (I have graduated from TTC as an LPN and recently from ETSU as an RN)
Yes, lots of nursing schools; yes; easier to get admitted. That has lead to a glut in graduates for the area. High supply; lower wages. However, many people come to the area from out of state for nursing school for the same reasons, but they return home for jobs. Do a search for Mountain States Heath Alliance and Wellmont Health System to get an idea of the financial health of the two major health systems in the area and the employment/layoff history.

Now, what I like about this area: Great access to water; availability of clean water. Wonderful farmer's markets and the availability of locally grown organic produce, local dairy, and grass-fed, non-factory raised beef.

Good luck in your searching!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't agree with this. Many parts of the state are economically underperforming with little relief in site. The exceptions to this rule are Clarksville-Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and to some degree Memphis. The Tri-Cities does have structural economic issues, but it is still a better shot (IMHO) than Jackson/most of West TN, southern middle TN, rural northern TN, rural East TN, etc.

As goes Tennessee goes the nation; you're going to find the same economic problems in non-metropolitan areas in practically any part of the US. (Although the Tri-Cities is technically two metro areas by Census definition, this area doesn't function like an MSA/CSA.)

To the OP - your energy bill sounds about like what I was used to in Johnson City. $100-$200 during the summer, $175-$300 during the winter. I lived in a variety of housing including apartments, new houses and very old houses. The water bill should be significant lower; I think I paid around $60/month in Johnson City for water/sewer/solid waste/recycling.

If you can get an "in" with someone in the Tri-Cities, administrative legal work will provide some jobs up there. Know that the Tri-Cities operates on the "who do ya know" system just like many other areas. Retail is a strong suit; there are constantly expanding retail facilities. Bristol is building two rather large suburban strip mall type developments right now. I believe this development pattern has nearly played out in Johnson City, and Kingsport's last attempt was pretty disastrous. That having been said, retail will always be hiring. I worked retail for years in JC for $8-$9/hour.

I had some friends that were bartenders. They easily made $400-$500 per night Thursday-Saturday, then had other jobs Monday-Friday. Picking up two service-type jobs here would be relatively easy and could boost your income.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Unfortunately I can't agree with this. Many parts of the state are economically underperforming with little relief in site. The exceptions to this rule are Clarksville-Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and to some degree Memphis. The Tri-Cities does have structural economic issues, but it is still a better shot (IMHO) than Jackson/most of West TN, southern middle TN, rural northern TN, rural East TN, etc.

As goes Tennessee goes the nation; you're going to find the same economic problems in non-metropolitan areas in practically any part of the US. (Although the Tri-Cities is technically two metro areas by Census definition, this area doesn't function like an MSA/CSA.)
Very true. There are very few small cities anywhere in the US that have dynamic economies with a wealth of high-paying jobs. And the overall economy in the Tri-Cities, while certainly not robust, is not even remotely as bad as wide swathes of the Southeast.

Half of U.S. Counties Haven’t Recovered From Recession

Old 03-04-2014, 09:17 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

If you can get an "in" with someone in the Tri-Cities, administrative legal work will provide some jobs up there. Know that the Tri-Cities operates on the "who do ya know" system just like many other areas. Retail is a strong suit; there are constantly expanding retail facilities. Bristol is building two rather large suburban strip mall type developments right now. I believe this development pattern has nearly played out in Johnson City, and Kingsport's last attempt was pretty disastrous. That having been said, retail will always be hiring. I worked retail for years in JC for $8-$9/hour.

I had some friends that were bartenders. They easily made $400-$500 per night Thursday-Saturday, then had other jobs Monday-Friday. Picking up two service-type jobs here would be relatively easy and could boost your income.
I'll grant you that you're right that most of the state is economically underperforming. I am always suspicious when I hear someone coming from an economically strong, healthy, blue state to somewhere like the Tri-Cities. They're used to a certain standard of living at least subconsciously that will not be available here.

A blue state Republican is usually a far cry from a Republican in a hardcore red area like east TN. I'm pretty conservative in MA terms, but the average Tri-Cities resident sees me as an Elizabeth Warren liberal, even though I've probably voted 75% Republican since 2008. Unless these people are like Ted Cruz or Glenn Beck, they probably won't even fit in here.

You're comparing the Tri-Cities to towns and rural areas where comparatively no one lives. The Tri-Cities metro is much larger than the Jackson metro. The rest of the places you are describing are rural and are economically inconsequential. When you say the area doesn't behave as a metro, you are pinpointing the dysfunction and proving my point.

One shouldn't need an "in" or having to rely on a small town, good ole boy system in an MSA around 300k, with a CSA pushing a half million or more. You'd expect this kind of system to exist in a town of 5k, not 50-60k.

If you find working retail for $8-$9/hr and bartending on the weekends an acceptable way to earn a living as a working, non-college adult, more power to you, but most reasonable people don't and want a little more than that. That's why the reasonable people will be leaving or have left long ago.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
You're comparing the Tri-Cities to towns and rural areas where comparatively no one lives. The Tri-Cities metro is much larger than the Jackson metro. The rest of the places you are describing are rural and are economically inconsequential. When you say the area doesn't behave as a metro, you are pinpointing the dysfunction and proving my point.
Yes, I compared these areas because you did so in your original comparison of the Tri-Cities as worse than the rest of the state. This includes those rural areas and smaller cities such as Jackson.

Quote:
One shouldn't need an "in" or having to rely on a small town, good ole boy system in an MSA around 300k, with a CSA pushing a half million or more. You'd expect this kind of system to exist in a town of 5k, not 50-60k.
This is one of the major issues holding back progress and innovation in a place like the Tri-Cities. Unfortunately, the same system is in place in much larger cities like Memphis, which perpetually holds this city back in second-tier status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol