Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM

125 posts, read 166,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
C
We have friends that moved here shortly after we did from Middle TN. They are up in Kingsport, while we are in JC. She seems more isolated and doesn't hear about as much as I do. She was lamenting the lack of things to do when they first arrived, but after visiting our house and talking to us about what all we are doing, she wishes they had picked a home in JC. If she was here, it would be closer for many of the things her and her kids would enjoy more. I don't know if Kingsport is just that different or what. So apparently, your choice of the three Tri-Cities can be a significant difference in perception. Just throwing that out there.
That's useful to know. Many people suggested that JC may be a little more diverse, a little less conservative, perhaps a bit faster-paced than Kingsport. Many have recommended JC as a better fit for us, so it's good to hear more opinions supporting that. JC does seem more expensive in terms of housing, but I guess that's the trade-off.

Really, I just want it ALL. Is that so wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
If you want it "ALL" JC is scarcely what you are looking for.

I cannot imagine Eastman drawing in upper m'gmnt employees form Northern Virginia, bcs of the "amenities" of Bristol or perhaps SW Va. Gate City.

The area is what it is. Talking it up doesn't make the economic reality different.

MSHA nurses and staff also are having issues with the area, I only happen to know bcs a relative deals with the Cancer Center at MSHA.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombattver View Post
That's useful to know. Many people suggested that JC may be a little more diverse, a little less conservative, perhaps a bit faster-paced than Kingsport. Many have recommended JC as a better fit for us, so it's good to hear more opinions supporting that. JC does seem more expensive in terms of housing, but I guess that's the trade-off.

Really, I just want it ALL. Is that so wrong?
JC does have a little more culture and variety, largely due to the university bringing in a more educated crowd and the students passing through breathe a little vitality into an otherwise stagnant area.

If you don't want to pay for the housing, I think the VA side of Bristol is a big improvement over Kingsport or Bristol, TN. Housing is much cheaper there.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:26 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
A little bit off topic, but I wonder if there are 'economic' issues at work:

Bristol Spring Race.

It looks like an Indy Car event with the place virtually empty.

Okay...it has been a colder week, and today it did rain earlier. There was also an 'interesting' local/regional basketball game with Virginia taking on Duke. Both teams draw eyeballs from stock car racing country.

But the place is empty. I am not talking half full, or anything like that. Maybe...maybe, 25% of the seats are occupied.

I know seats were available...all you wanted for $20 in the 'aftermarket, but wow! Just wow. Are people that broke that they just don't have the money, or is it directly related to a lack of interest in Stock Car Racing? The season's previous events were well attended, and Bristol has always been a well attended event...okay, the August race draws better than the spring event, but still....there is something seriously wrong with the size of the crowd today.

And wonder if a LOT of it isn't economic.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Methadone clinic may open in Johnson City | Johnson City Press

A certificate of need should be filed this week for a methadone clinic to locate in Johnson City, nearly 10 years after a certificate was granted but later revoked, according to a representative of the company backing this latest effort.
Steve Kester, co-owner of Tri-Cities Holding LLC, a company started to locate a methadone clinic at 4 Wesley Court, said a clinic could be in place by the end of the year, maybe a little longer, should the Tennessee Health and Development Agency grant the certificate of need.

According to a legal notice, the certificate of need should be filed by Thursday.
Kester said he is part owner in nine other methadone clinics in four states. He has been researching establishing a Johnson City location for a few years and sees a need for such a facility.
“We know there are around 1,000 people from the Tri-Cities area... who are going either to Asheville (N.C.) or Knoxville to receive treatment today,” Kester said.

This is apparently how they plan to bring on "amenities" in a depressed economy which brings money to city officials
Effective week of March 17th, its already in the works apparently.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
A little bit off topic, but I wonder if there are 'economic' issues at work:

Bristol Spring Race.

It looks like an Indy Car event with the place virtually empty.

Okay...it has been a colder week, and today it did rain earlier. There was also an 'interesting' local/regional basketball game with Virginia taking on Duke. Both teams draw eyeballs from stock car racing country.

But the place is empty. I am not talking half full, or anything like that. Maybe...maybe, 25% of the seats are occupied.

I know seats were available...all you wanted for $20 in the 'aftermarket, but wow! Just wow. Are people that broke that they just don't have the money, or is it directly related to a lack of interest in Stock Car Racing? The season's previous events were well attended, and Bristol has always been a well attended event...okay, the August race draws better than the spring event, but still....there is something seriously wrong with the size of the crowd today.

And wonder if a LOT of it isn't economic.
I think NASCAR's decline in popularity has something to do with turnout. However, it hasn't been too long since people from out of the area poured in, jamming everything, and each race was sold out or nearly so every time. If you had traveled from outside the area and bought a ticket, you would have gone anyway. Someone local who paid $20 for a ticket may have just eaten it and stayed home.

The fact that these people AREN'T showing up here any longer in droves is disconcerting. Without a heavy race turnout, the area is going to struggle more than it already is. Without stereotyping too heavily, east TN is the perfect NASCAR demographic and Bristol really tries hard to make "race week" an experience, not just about the week itself. Either nonlocals didn't like the experience here, have lost interest in the race, or just can't afford. Same goes for locals.

I do think the weakening local economy has a lot to do with the lack of turnout. I think the locals have gone as far as they can do on limited wages and very few jobs.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 AM

185 posts, read 289,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I think NASCAR's decline in popularity has something to do with turnout. However, it hasn't been too long since people from out of the area poured in, jamming everything, and each race was sold out or nearly so every time. If you had traveled from outside the area and bought a ticket, you would have gone anyway. Someone local who paid $20 for a ticket may have just eaten it and stayed home.

The fact that these people AREN'T showing up here any longer in droves is disconcerting. Without a heavy race turnout, the area is going to struggle more than it already is. Without stereotyping too heavily, east TN is the perfect NASCAR demographic and Bristol really tries hard to make "race week" an experience, not just about the week itself. Either nonlocals didn't like the experience here, have lost interest in the race, or just can't afford. Same goes for locals.

I do think the weakening local economy has a lot to do with the lack of turnout. I think the locals have gone as far as they can do on limited wages and very few jobs.
I think with the race, there were a lot of folks that had to be back at work on Monday and since the forecast was highly uncertain as to if the race was even going to happen on Sunday, a lot of people just headed home instead. It's one thing to wait it out on a Saturday, but if you have a drive home that night and have to make it to work early the next morning, that's not appealing for many people. Out and about Sunday morning, I saw quite a few fans roaming around JC shopping, waiting out the rain. My husband was up at the track and heard a lot of people leaving due to rain expectations and stuff.

I might be wrong too. Maybe there is a bigger issue at work. I guess the fall race may shed a bit more light.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
I think with the race, there were a lot of folks that had to be back at work on Monday and since the forecast was highly uncertain as to if the race was even going to happen on Sunday, a lot of people just headed home instead. It's one thing to wait it out on a Saturday, but if you have a drive home that night and have to make it to work early the next morning, that's not appealing for many people. Out and about Sunday morning, I saw quite a few fans roaming around JC shopping, waiting out the rain. My husband was up at the track and heard a lot of people leaving due to rain expectations and stuff.

I might be wrong too. Maybe there is a bigger issue at work. I guess the fall race may shed a bit more light.
This may be the case, but I'm sure there have been Sunday races with icky weather before. I can see the locals staying home if they are only out a $20 ticket, but if you've spent $1000 on campground, food, gas, etc, and not from here, you've already sunk all this money in and might as well go.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 AM

185 posts, read 289,481 times
Is there anything published from the Speedway about how many tickets were bought overall? I'd be curious to see if sales were down or just attendance.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM

125 posts, read 166,633 times
I think I read/heard something a while back about changes to the track… something about making it less of a "crash and bump" kind of track and more of a smooth, speed track of just "going around and around."

Does anyone know more about that and could it be that the nature of the race has changed due to the different track? Maybe fans or racers aren't as interested?

Or maybe this just a vague rumor I heard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol