Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:03 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
DaveinMtAiry, I'm going to map out three scenic drives for y'all to take from JC sometime in the next couple of days. Trust me: while Roan Mountain is one of my all-time spots for hiking & scenic vistas, you don't have to drive to the mountains for a wonderful view of the mountains & valleys in our neck of the woods.
This would be fantastic, thank you. It is obvious that there is way more to see in the area than our short trip will allow. But this trip is not a vacation to see the sites, it's a research project to see if we like JC. So most of our time will be spent there.

As I told my wife the reason I love our current area is not the places we go to on Saturday afternoons 6-7 times a year, it's the are we live in where we spend 95% of our time. We have to be careful not to fall in love with JC because we like the view from Roan Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,721 times
As I recall, one can view back into Tennessee looking northwest rather well from the Cloudland Hotel parking lot inside the NFS fee area (side road at Carvers Gap) on Roan Mountain. When I was younger there was very open view from the parking lot but they may have allowed tree regrowth more recently. No long hikes required. The biggest viewing issue on Roan is that if you can't pick your day and weather, the most you may see is the inside of a cloud. They named the old Cloudland Hotel very appropriately back in the 19th century. I can see the Cloudland area of Roan from my yard and it will frequently be in cloud while Unaka Mountain (Beauty Spot) to the south is clear.

As someone pointed out, the drive from the village of Roan Mountain up to Carvers Gap is slow and takes longer than Google Maps thinks (it says about an hour from University Parkway/Roan St. to Cavers Gap). In an hours time from the same starting point you can drive on through the village of Roan Mountain and through Elk Park, Newland, and Linville to the Lynn Cove Viaduct area on the Blue Ridge Parkway for some gorgeous views in all directions. The sight of Grandfather Mountain when you top the gap between Newland and Linville is truly grand.

This from Google Maps (46.6 miles, 1hr 3 min):

Driving directions to Blue Ridge Pkwy/Linn Cove Viaduct

University Pkwy

1. Head northeast on University Pkwy

479 ft

2. Take the Milligan Hwy exit

0.2 mi

3. Turn right onto Milligan Hwy

2.1 mi

4. Turn right onto TN-359 S/Okolona Rd

0.8 mi

5. Turn left onto TN-361 E

6.4 mi

6. Turn right to stay on TN-361 E

2.5 mi

7. Turn right onto TN-37 S/US-19E S
Continue to follow US-19E S
Entering North Carolina

17.4 mi

8. Continue onto NC-194 S

5.6 mi

9. Turn left onto NC-181 S/Linville St
Continue to follow NC-181 S

4.1 mi

10. Continue onto US-221 N

3.1 mi

11. Take the exit on the left toward Blue Ridge Pkwy

0.1 mi

12. Turn left onto Blue Ridge Pkwy
Destination will be on the right

1.1 mi

Blue Ridge Pkwy/Linn Cove Viaduct

Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This would be fantastic, thank you. It is obvious that there is way more to see in the area than our short trip will allow. But this trip is not a vacation to see the sites, it's a research project to see if we like JC. So most of our time will be spent there.

As I told my wife the reason I love our current area is not the places we go to on Saturday afternoons 6-7 times a year, it's the are we live in where we spend 95% of our time. We have to be careful not to fall in love with JC because we like the view from Roan Mountain.
That's a very good point. With that in mind, here's a relatively short scenic driving tour (42 miles) that starts & ends at the Hands On Museum in JC. Highlights include the scenery (especially along Conklin Road), Jonesborough & Willow Springs Park.

If y'all want to do a much longer drive just for fun, here's a suggested route (about 107 total miles) that hits Blountville, BMS in Bristol, South Holston Lake, Bluff City, Watauga Lake and Elizabethton.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That's a very good point. With that in mind, here's a relatively short scenic driving tour (42 miles) that starts & ends at the Hands On Museum in JC. Highlights include the scenery (especially along Conklin Road), Jonesborough & Willow Springs Park.

If y'all want to do a much longer drive just for fun, here's a suggested route (about 107 total miles) that hits Blountville, BMS in Bristol, South Holston Lake, Bluff City, Watauga Lake and Elizabethton.

Thank you! I liked the first route for the time as well as the fact that I only went so far as Jonesborough (watching my speed right?) so I didn't see that much of that area. But a quick look shows that route looks to go along, not into, the mountains. Am I wrong there?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
But a quick look shows that route looks to go along, not into, the mountains. Am I wrong there?
That's correct. If you really want to head into the mountains but not go too far from JC, take Hwy. 107 east of Unicoi, Hwy. 395 east of Erwin, or head toward Flag Pond and on to Sams Gap.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
That's correct. If you really want to head into the mountains but not go too far from JC, take Hwy. 107 east of Unicoi, Hwy. 395 east of Erwin, or head toward Flag Pond and on to Sams Gap.
Yeah that sounds like a better route? Views? How much time should we allow?

Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 AM

OK we are leaving tomorrow, pretty excited to researching possibly our new home. NOT excited to be driving through the mountains in a huge storm. I took a lot of time planning this trip with weather in mind, now it's going to be in the 60's and cloudy. LOL at me.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah that sounds like a better route? Views? How much time should we allow?
From downtown JC, getting to the NC state line on any of those routes only takes about 30 minutes. The easiest route and probably the one w/ the best views overall is to Sams Gap via I-26.

Y'all have a safe trip in tomorrow and enjoy your visit!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
From downtown JC, getting to the NC state line on any of those routes only takes about 30 minutes. The easiest route and probably the one w/ the best views overall is to Sams Gap via I-26.

Y'all have a safe trip in tomorrow and enjoy your visit!
Thanks, is this the day trip you would recommend over Roan Mt and some of the others? What about Watauga Lake?

Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks, is this the day trip you would recommend over Roan Mt and some of the others? What about Watauga Lake?
That's really more of a quick jaunt than a day trip, but it is a beautiful drive. You could easily hit Roan Mountain (both the town & Carver's Gap), Watauga Lake (via Wilbur Dam Road), and Sams Gap in a half-day. The drive to the town of Roan Mountain is scenic in places but not as nice overall, IMO, as the one to Sams Gap. But if you do venture over to Roan, be sure to check out the state park's visitor center and the Dave Miller Farmstead. You could have lunch at The Waterwheel Cafe between Hampton and Roan Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol