Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

Retail sales tax collections were very poor last quarter, especially in Bristol, and have been in a slump for most of the past two years. This provides further proof of the regional slump.

ETSU report: Retail, employment data show regional economy in a slump | Kingsport Times-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

185 posts, read 289,421 times
Guess I need to spend more to help the local economy. Hubby won't be pleased.

Anyway, I am quick to blame some of it on the Internet and Online Shopping. Didn't TN just now start collecting tax (beginning of 2014) on online purchases? I'm sure a lot of people were doing that to avoid the high sales tax here, but maybe some of that will change now?

I know that wasn't all of it, but I'm sure it contributes a significant amount.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Retail sales tax collections were very poor last quarter, especially in Bristol, and have been in a slump for most of the past two years. This provides further proof of the regional slump.

ETSU report: Retail, employment data show regional economy in a slump | Kingsport Times-News
Well im glad you are now in Indy now, maybe you will like it better there.

Personally ive always thought that was an indicator of consumer stupidity. I save my money instead of spend it, last time i knew thats thr only way to build wealth so i can donate to worthy causes in the tri cities.

Having said that, i agree that the economy is slumping though im not particularly worried about that

Old 03-13-2014, 03:41 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Pretty consistent with the national picture.

A few of the high end retailers did "okay" (think Tiffany and William Sonoma, for example), but the broad based retailers--everybody from Wal-Mart to JC Penny had a pretty lousy holiday season. Ask the auto dealers as well. They too have inventory up to their eyeballs, and nobody to buy the stuff--even with interest rates at zero and a myriad of incentives still in place.

People just do not want, or have the money, to spend on incidental crap. People are signaling that we are headed into a period of severe deflation and that is going to be VERY painful for anyone who is leveraged (in debt), especially the US Government. Folks are already in debt up to their eyeballs and have no desire/ability to spend any more--regardless of the "attractiveness" of the "deals".

So they don't buy things unless they absolutely need them. Hence, the decline in sales, and sales tax.

And don't forget, we got here by kicking the can down the road to the tune of more than $100 BILLION a month in stimulative "Quantitative Easing". That's several TRLLION dollars over the past few years. As this 'incentive' is withdrawn, out of necessity, spending is likely to retreat as well.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:50 PM

195 posts, read 275,490 times
Johnson City MSA leads Tri-Cities to a small sales tax collection increase in Jan.

This isn't an apples to apples comparison because sales tax collects are retails sales are not the same thing. But it does offer a more current look at spending patterns.
But if you're looking for an economic red flag look at foreclosure filing for the first two months of this year:
http://donfenley.com/2014/03/13/john...traight-month/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol