U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,380 times

Advertisements

There are a huge number of people living in East Tn who were not raised here, myself included. I think it is easier to retire here than it is to work here... less friction with the locals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 AM

12,628 posts, read 7,045,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis2900 View Post
There are a huge number of people living in East Tn who were not raised here, myself included. I think it is easier to retire here than it is to work here... less friction with the locals.
Sorry to keep bring up the same questions but this is a big decision. My plan is to find part time work, in fact it needs to happen to get out of the house and for additional spending money. I know the job market is down in TN now, it's down pretty much everywhere. But in 10 years that will probably be better. But I still go back to JC being a college town and because of that are the part time jobs for seniors difficult to obtain? i really don't care what I do, I have sales as a career so that may help.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM

28,274 posts, read 21,185,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Sorry to keep bring up the same questions but this is a big decision. My plan is to find part time work, in fact it needs to happen to get out of the house and for additional spending money. I know the job market is down in TN now, it's down pretty much everywhere. But in 10 years that will probably be better. But I still go back to JC being a college town and because of that are the part time jobs for seniors difficult to obtain? i really don't care what I do, I have sales as a career so that may help.
There are some jobs with the call centers and Citi, as well as your standard retail and restaurant work, but I know several older people who were laid off from manufacturing facilities that left and are struggling to even work at Lowe's. It seems exceptionally hard to get hired into any job in the Tri-Cities, and that is likely even more true if you are older. I would highly caution against moving to the Tri-Cities if you need to work for any income at all. TN's job market is weak overall, and the Tri-Cities is weak even in a state that is generally underperforming.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There are some jobs with the call centers and Citi, as well as your standard retail and restaurant work, but I know several older people who were laid off from manufacturing facilities that left and are struggling to even work at Lowe's. It seems exceptionally hard to get hired into any job in the Tri-Cities, and that is likely even more true if you are older. I would highly caution against moving to the Tri-Cities if you need to work for any income at all. TN's job market is weak overall, and the Tri-Cities is weak even in a state that is generally underperforming.
Yeah but that's now at the tail end of the worst recession we've seen in our lifetime. I guess the question is better asked has this always been the case?

I guess I could sell cars in Bristol. (inside joke, hope she reads it)

Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 PM

28,274 posts, read 21,185,751 times
Quote:
Yeah but that's now at the tail end of the worst recession we've seen in our lifetime. I guess the question is better asked has this always been the case?

I guess I could sell cars in Bristol. (inside joke, hope she reads it)
The economy here wasn't great even when the national economy was sizzling. Granted, it wasn't like it is now, but there has never been a real abundance of quality, professional jobs in this area. Even at its peak, this area was a manufacturing hub and never had much of a professional class. We see what's happened now that most of the manufacturing has left.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:19 AM

185 posts, read 236,269 times
I think that with your reasons a job will be needed (to get out of the house/spending cash), in addition to your willingness to do pretty much any service job, you'll be a lot better off than someone that needs to job to feed their family and/or keep their head above water. It doesn't sound like you are going to require some of the benefits others may need, your work hours will likely be flexible and you likely won't need too much more than minimum wage to meet those goals. Your options based on that, will be a lot more broad IMO.

You jest about the car sales thing. If you are willing to put up with the hours, honestly for a retired person looking for spending money, it's not a bad gig. It's usually commission based, so can be tough for someone needing a regular income. Heck, some other options might even be to come up with a hobby making things that could be sold at the farmer's market/local festivals or growing plants to sell. There will be retail, food service and similar jobs available, because they always are. One might not make a lot of money doing them, but your needs are different. Out of the box options - pet sitting, honey-do business, mowing lawns, local travel guide, food truck/cart at festivals in the area. None of these things would make a full time income likely, but would both get you out of the house and earn some pocket money.

One retired guy I knew living in Arizona (sadly he passed away last week at 84 years old), spent his retirement working part time in a winery and selling handmade wooden items. He worked 20-25 hours a week at the winery and was able to schedule things so he could still travel some. He was one of the happiest retired people I knew. I have an awesome plaque he made with wine labels on it. (I also worked at the winery part time.)

The job market is honestly likely to improve in 10 years, but nothing is certain. Have some options and I think you'll be ok. Disclaimer here - if you were looking for full time work to support your family, I might advise differently, but your situation is much different.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
I think that with your reasons a job will be needed (to get out of the house/spending cash), in addition to your willingness to do pretty much any service job, you'll be a lot better off than someone that needs to job to feed their family and/or keep their head above water. It doesn't sound like you are going to require some of the benefits others may need, your work hours will likely be flexible and you likely won't need too much more than minimum wage to meet those goals. Your options based on that, will be a lot more broad IMO.

You jest about the car sales thing. If you are willing to put up with the hours, honestly for a retired person looking for spending money, it's not a bad gig. It's usually commission based, so can be tough for someone needing a regular income. Heck, some other options might even be to come up with a hobby making things that could be sold at the farmer's market/local festivals or growing plants to sell. There will be retail, food service and similar jobs available, because they always are. One might not make a lot of money doing them, but your needs are different. Out of the box options - pet sitting, honey-do business, mowing lawns, local travel guide, food truck/cart at festivals in the area. None of these things would make a full time income likely, but would both get you out of the house and earn some pocket money.

One retired guy I knew living in Arizona (sadly he passed away last week at 84 years old), spent his retirement working part time in a winery and selling handmade wooden items. He worked 20-25 hours a week at the winery and was able to schedule things so he could still travel some. He was one of the happiest retired people I knew. I have an awesome plaque he made with wine labels on it. (I also worked at the winery part time.)

The job market is honestly likely to improve in 10 years, but nothing is certain. Have some options and I think you'll be ok. Disclaimer here - if you were looking for full time work to support your family, I might advise differently, but your situation is much different.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was thinking. I was only half kidding about the car sales although if I'm retired I'm not sure I'm ready to "put in the hours". Your friend's retirement was EXACTLY what I had in mind, especially since it's a good way to meet people on top of everything else.

But I read recently on the CD retirement board just how difficult it was for someone over 60 to find work, even part time. Then Tennessee was mentioned due to the job market in the state as well as college towns as offering more competition for those jobs. So I'm looking to possibly move to a college town in Tennessee when I'm 65-67.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,143,243 times
Quote:
No, it has not. In the four years prior to the recession (2004-07), the annual unemployment rates in JC were 5.5%, 5.3%, 4.8%, and 4.5% respectively with employment peaking in Oct. '07.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,754,259 times
Dave, I never had a problem finding a job (even with just a couple weeks notice at one point) in the Tri-Cities to make $8-$10k annually. If you're fine with that, you will be in business. A full time retail job might be harder. You could make more waiting tables or something like that, but that's tiring work.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:00 PM

116 posts, read 136,819 times
Hi Everyone,

Well I am back from my visit. I really enjoyed the area, the weather, the beauty, but I'm seriously struggling with the home prices in the area. For someone with a farm now who makes a decent living in my profession, I was shocked that the homes I'd be most interested in are in the 300-400 range!!! IS this new for eastern TN? I am hoping to relocate to pay off some debt, get some cheaper land, etc - perhaps middle TN would be a better bet for me? I'm just surprised that for the same money I make up here in the NE I get essentially the same product at a slightly but not much lower price. Aside of weather, Im not sure I see a big reason for the move. Is this primarily in the Bristol/JC tri cities area or is this pretty much going on across TN? People were great, I'm in a non-tax state so I was a bit sticker shocked by sales tax - 9% is a bit high. What have been others thoughts after visiting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol