U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM

116 posts, read 137,022 times

Advertisements

I'm a true blue Northeasterner but would love to relocate to a slightly better climate for my horses so I can ride more and have more land with less tax burden. Is NE TN considered the "deep south"? I enjoyed FL but it was just too hot in the summer, lived in SC and really loved the ppl FROM sc BUT I couldn't stand most of the transplants (oh the irony!!) I don't mind ignorance as long as they leave me alone - true libertarian lol

Do you think NE TN would be a fit? I'm coming from NH if I decide to move and though I love it here, I find the gray days are getting to me and I need more sunshine and "outdoor" time without the severe overcast for 6 months/ year. That combined with ridiculous housing taxes and land prices I'm thinking of a move...

Thanks for any input!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:21 PM

231 posts, read 520,853 times
Default would a northeasterner fit in tn

Depends. An arrogant, superior attitude will not fit in. Southerners in general are a get along group and don't accept others who don't act accordingly. Note that I'm not accusing you of having an obnoxious attitudeI don,t know you. Indeed parts o f the South, Tn being no exception, could stand some improvement, but telling the locals that they are a bunch of backward, ignorant rednecks is a guaranteed prescription forruining one's day. In small rural locales you may never be accepted into the inner social circles having not been born and lived all of your life there. I don't think that they are trying to snub anyone, it's just that most of these people tend to associate with those who have lived there their entire lives. Parts of eastern Tn. Have seen a lot relocation from other areas of the Country over the last some Years so the situation may now be somewhat different at present. I grew up in a very rural area of Alabama, but left after High school and have seldom been back. I lived other places and did other things. When I do go back for visits, I am receivedwarmly enough, yet relationships are not the same due to my different background. It's a natural thing. How would someone from a rural Tn.background be accepted in the Northeast?

Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 AM

12,718 posts, read 7,087,802 times
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Obviously if you show up with an attitude you won't fit in, I don't see a problem there. But I was wondering just what it means to be a stranger who does not have faith and does not go to church.

I talked to my dad about when we lived in Knoxville when I was young and he said everyone went to church so my parents did too, it's what you did. Wondering if it's the same now and will I be a bit of an outcast when it's learned that we do not believe in God.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 AM

185 posts, read 236,797 times
Poety - If you only seemed to have trouble with transplants to SC, I think you might be ok with most of the folks around here. (I have only been to NH once, but it was very pretty! I used to work for a company that had a location in Berlin, NH, so I went there for work, but had some time to do a little driving around the mountains there. Gorgeous place!)

I think you'll encounter a more diverse mix of folks in Johnson City than in the smaller towns, but that's to be expected with ETSU here. I'm from Kentucky originally, so it wasn't a big change for me, but having lived up North and out West, I can see things through a different lens at times too. Growing up, I never liked racism, but kinda accepted that was how the older generation was and just vowed to teach my children differently. I saw less of it after I moved away, so I was much more affected by what happened when we first were moving in. Our street has many older couples (60s-80s), so they are old Southern folks in a way. Not outright mean, but they have some preconceived notions when it comes to people of other races. One of my neighbors came over to introduce herself and her husband. She pointed to all the nearby houses, telling me a little about the families that lived there, mentioning things like one gentleman that taught at ETSU where my husband was going to be working. She pointed at one house and said "The family that lives there is "black", but they are nice people." I was trying to be nice, as I'd just met the woman, but later on when telling my husband the story, he said he probably would have exclaimed, "Oh thank GOODNESS, I thought there was only going to be boring old white people here!" Turns out they were just a middle aged professional couple with grown kids and that was unusual in the eyes of the older people. They expected thugs maybe? You will encounter people like that though. They aren't outright racist and say these mean spiteful things, but they have a hard time overcoming stereotypes about people. And BTW, the "nice, black" couple is not shunned or anything by the neighbors and other than that one comment, I haven't heard another word about it. I see other neighbors stopping to talk to them, just like everyone else.

I came here expecting the traditional mix of southern like from my hometown. I've been pleasantly surprised at how diverse it actually is here in JC at times. My husband and I are people watchers. We comment all the time about how you see such a variety of people just going to a restaurant. You have the typical baseball hat, cammo wearing (substitute UT or NASCAR if you'd like) guys, the typical Southern belle, the cute older couples, the interracial couples, the international students, transplants from other areas, hippy types, yuppy types, hipsters, professional folks and rural "hill folk". And before I get blasted for the hill folk comment, the incident that makes me say that was being behind a woman at the register at Michaels, that was the exact reason the stereotype exists. Several missing teeth, plaid shirt, frayed jeans and no shoes, along with a STRONG accent. Having been from Ky growing up and hearing people tease me about us not having shoes, I really thought was just a bad rap we had from decades ago. After the shock wore off, amusement set in on the fact that I'm surrounded by it all here in JC, even more than other places I've lived.

For Dave - I'm not going to lie. This is indeed the Bible Belt. I think in the mile just around my house, I can count no less than 10 churches. I am a Christian, but my beliefs are for the most part way more liberal than the churches here. I know of a couple of churches that I think might be ok fits for me, but they are a little further out than I'm ok with, so I don't go to church with regularity here. People are going to automatically assume that you go to church, so you will get invited to come to theirs when they hear you don't go to church. You will likely get a slightly funny look when you say you don't believe in God. I can't say they will let it go either. I think most people will just shrug it off and go on, not worrying about it, but there will be those that make it their mission to convert you. I really hope you encounter few of those and are left alone. I'm also a realist though. Some denominations are very strong with their views on bringing everyone into the flock. We get letters quite often inviting us to church. Pretty sure several churches have bought that newcomer list that companies buy and send info to new residents.

In my neighborhood and social circle, I haven't been looked at weird when out doing yard work on the Sundays I don't go to church and no one has been pushy about inviting me to their church. Maybe you'll have a similar experience.

Be aware though, that this DOES mean the political values here are mostly on the conservative side. I've lived with being the weird one most of my life, so it doesn't bother me as much as it might someone moving from a less conservative place. Also, stores don't typically open until after 11 or 12 on Sundays and close by 6ish, while some aren't even open on Sundays.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM

12,385 posts, read 15,964,700 times
I'm atheist, it hasn't really been a big problem.

Sometimes people make stupid comments based on their religious beliefs, I don't think it's much different than people making stupid comments based on racism, sexism, etc. I just shrug it off as them not knowing any better, and try to live my own life with tolerance and acceptance.

I've only had one visit from a local church group since I moved in, and I have a suspicion word got around pretty quickly that I was a waste of time because no one has bothered me about it since. I do still get mailers, but eh, I get mailers about all kinds of things, I don't feel anybody is trying to single me out for conversion.

Co-workers and neighbors know and I don't feel shunned or left out of things because of it. However I do accept that church is a natural gathering place for a lot of people so I'm not bothered by the fact that sometimes events that I want to participate in are on a church property, rummage sales, bake sales, car washes and that sort of thing.

So far I've only had a couple of things happen to really remind me this is part of the bible belt.
One was going to a Christmas light show and being blasted with this Christmas With A Capital "c" Lyrics religious message along with the usual songs. Privately owned business so I guess they had that right, but it's one thing to ask to share your beliefs and let me politely turn you down, another to hold me captive while you ambush me with something like that (and made to pay for the experience to boot!) Tacky tacky.
The other was to wander through some of the chain stores and see a good amount of religious clothing and merchandise, normally the kinds of things I haven't seen elsewhere without being in a Christian bookstore. I found that a little odd.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks so much for the replies - yes it is strange about the transplants, they seem to have been some mutant type that were just downright mean, I dont know why but they treated me much worse than any true southerner did when I was in SC. That ofcourse is not ALL, but a LOT.

I am catholic, not christian but we rarely go to church and I dont mind going to another denomination on Easter, Christmas, etc - it really doesn't bother me. What bothers me is being judged or put into a category because I'm not white, or made to feel that I'm less than someone else because I don't have their same beliefs.

I have a friend that lived in TN for a long time, he said it took him years to make friends and that people would shut him out because he was from NH. Thats terrible - I don't want that for my daughter since she would have to make new friends, etc and she already has had a hard time with moving frequently for my position. SO yes I am concerned about being accepted.

As for "coming with attitude" I think its unfortunate but MANY people that move down south are not the reflection of what a true New Englander is - we are reserved (as opposed to this left wing liberal ppl seem to think) we are to ourselves, don't tell our business around town, are usually casually friendly but take a long time to get to know - what I've seen for transplants a lot are big mouth obnoxious left wingers that claim they represent the north when in fact they don't. Old New Englanders usually have spent time cultivating their business/ careers (whether that be farming or law!) and are more focused on those things rather than getting involved in the he said she said crap.

I don't know where we'll eventually end up but I just wanted some perspective - thanks for taking the time to reply!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 AM

182 posts, read 647,133 times
FYI, Christians are those who believe in Jesus Christ and his teachings, therefore, Catholics are Christians.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 AM

6,530 posts, read 9,830,197 times
No, you will not.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 AM

6,530 posts, read 9,830,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poety View Post
Thanks so much for the replies - yes it is strange about the transplants, they seem to have been some mutant type that were just downright mean, I dont know why but they treated me much worse than any true southerner did when I was in SC. That ofcourse is not ALL, but a LOT.

I am catholic, not christian but we rarely go to church and I dont mind going to another denomination on Easter, Christmas, etc - it really doesn't bother me. What bothers me is being judged or put into a category because I'm not white, or made to feel that I'm less than someone else because I don't have their same beliefs.

I have a friend that lived in TN for a long time, he said it took him years to make friends and that people would shut him out because he was from NH. Thats terrible - I don't want that for my daughter since she would have to make new friends, etc and she already has had a hard time with moving frequently for my position. SO yes I am concerned about being accepted.

As for "coming with attitude" I think its unfortunate but MANY people that move down south are not the reflection of what a true New Englander is - we are reserved (as opposed to this left wing liberal ppl seem to think) we are to ourselves, don't tell our business around town, are usually casually friendly but take a long time to get to know - what I've seen for transplants a lot are big mouth obnoxious left wingers that claim they represent the north when in fact they don't. Old New Englanders usually have spent time cultivating their business/ careers (whether that be farming or law!) and are more focused on those things rather than getting involved in the he said she said crap.

I don't know where we'll eventually end up but I just wanted some perspective - thanks for taking the time to reply!
What kind of church did you go to where they say Catholics aren't Christians? I wasn't aware you could be Catholic and not Christian...

Old 04-09-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_kate View Post
FYI, Christians are those who believe in Jesus Christ and his teachings, therefore, Catholics are Christians.
I meant born again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol