Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times

Advertisements

My dad and I have been members at the Y/Aquatic Center since it opened last year. I've always been surprised at how little attention the indoor facility gets once the outdoor facility closes.

Granted, the money making time is in the summer, and the indoor pools do get some action then. Still, I was there both Monday and Tuesday between 3-5 at the indoor pool and there was almost no one there - only a few seniors obviously rehabbing were in the very large facility.

I expected to see some high school kids coming after school, people off on the holiday, perhaps a swim team training, but it was mostly empty. Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 16 hours ago)

16,087 posts, read 21,206,161 times
Well that's interesting. I might have to look into it. I've stayed away because I'd heard it was always crowded, which I don't care for.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well that's interesting. I might have to look into it. I've stayed away because I'd heard it was always crowded, which I don't care for.
On a hot weekend day, it's super slammed, but that's mostly the outdoor facility and people crowding diving boards. There is a very deep pool that is cooler and good to work out in, but you'd need to be a pretty proficient swimmer to be safe on your own in 7'-10' deep water. The free swim area is also usually small. Unless you are swimming laps, t's likely no one else will be in there with you. The warm water pool feels like a hot tub after you get in the regular competition pool. There's also no free swim outdoor area for adults.

The parking situation has been corrected since last year. I was there Memorial Day and there was adequate parking, compared to last year when I left several times due to no parking.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 AM

677 posts, read 1,076,764 times
I've always thought the Kingsport Aquatic Center wasn't the best idea. It was a very expensive project and will require financial support from the City for a very long time. Not to mention it is another example of sprawl and is a 100% auto-centric development. It replaced Legion Pool which was located within walking distance of numerous neighborhoods and gave kids a place to hang out during the summer.

During construction Kingsport sold this facility as a regional attraction that would entice people from Morristown to Roanoke to vacation in Kingsport as well as bring in national swim meets. There was also talk of selling "vacation packages" that would include a hotel room, aquatic center tickets, Bays Mountain tickets, etc. I'm not sure any of this has happened.

This facility, along with the carousel, farmers market, adding luxury boxes to J. Fred Johnson Stadium, to expensive home construction incentives, makes it appear Kingsport is throwing things at a wall to see what sticks. It just reeks of desperation. Kingsport continues to lag further and further behind Johnson City (and even Bristol) and the powers that be can't stand it. There is definitely a sense of jealousy over the progress and development that has happened in Johnson City over the past 20 years.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM

185 posts, read 290,270 times
Honestly, as a working mom, I'd have to disagree about 3-5 being a time when my kids would be going to a pool. Even being after school, lots of kids have various activities or need to complete homework before sports practice or games later in the evening. Especially this time of year, there is SO much going on for kids. A lot of HS kids are working or would rather play video games than go to a pool after school.

Then factor in both parents working until 5 and fewer kids have ways to get there. Afternoons are just busy for our family and I'm sure it's that way for many others.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I've always thought the Kingsport Aquatic Center wasn't the best idea. It was a very expensive project and will require financial support from the City for a very long time. Not to mention it is another example of sprawl and is a 100% auto-centric development. It replaced Legion Pool which was located within walking distance of numerous neighborhoods and gave kids a place to hang out during the summer.

During construction Kingsport sold this facility as a regional attraction that would entice people from Morristown to Roanoke to vacation in Kingsport as well as bring in national swim meets. There was also talk of selling "vacation packages" that would include a hotel room, aquatic center tickets, Bays Mountain tickets, etc. I'm not sure any of this has happened.

This facility, along with the carousel, farmers market, adding luxury boxes to J. Fred Johnson Stadium, to expensive home construction incentives, makes it appear Kingsport is throwing things at a wall to see what sticks. It just reeks of desperation. Kingsport continues to lag further and further behind Johnson City (and even Bristol) and the powers that be can't stand it. There is definitely a sense of jealousy over the progress and development that has happened in Johnson City over the past 20 years.
Agree on the auto-centric comment, but the whole area is really auto-centeric. You can't live here without a car. For kids walking to the pool, completely agreed that it is now largely inaccessible.

We have a similar facility here in Carmel with an indoor aquatic center (not as good as KAC), an outdoor water park (better than KAC), and a new gym, but it's all owned by the local government. The catch is that the community is much wealthier, is slightly larger, and there is a county income tax, so it's much more "affordable."

Totally agreed the KAC will never really be a destination. While nice to have, city residents are paying dearly for it. County residents like us who actually use several times a week bear little of the cost (we'd have the gym membership with or without the KAC) while city residents who don't use it foot the bill.

I do think Kingsport is becoming desperate. I went to the Kroger on Saturday evening and the store was in such disarray, with so many empty shelves, that I just left and went to the Eastman Road Food City. Once there, I noticed the old green motel was for sale, the jeweler building was for sale, the strip stores beside the old dry cleaners appeared to be out of business. It's really sad how the town has gone downhill and is doing some unusual things to try and stay relevant.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
Honestly, as a working mom, I'd have to disagree about 3-5 being a time when my kids would be going to a pool. Even being after school, lots of kids have various activities or need to complete homework before sports practice or games later in the evening. Especially this time of year, there is SO much going on for kids. A lot of HS kids are working or would rather play video games than go to a pool after school.

Then factor in both parents working until 5 and fewer kids have ways to get there. Afternoons are just busy for our family and I'm sure it's that way for many others.
I always thought there would be value in creating youth swim leagues and such to keep kids off the street around here.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM

185 posts, read 290,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I always thought there would be value in creating youth swim leagues and such to keep kids off the street around here.
I know JC has something like that, just not super familiar with it.

However, the challenge there is overcoming a cultural stereotype of competitive swimming being typically upper-middle class white kid kind of thing. Most kids that fit into that stereotype are already involved in plenty of things keeping them off the street. Others would look at you like you had 3 eyes if you suggested they swim as a sport. It's silly, yes.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,814,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Barracuda Swim Club of Northeast Tennessee

Swim Teams

Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 PM

981 posts, read 1,623,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
During construction Kingsport sold this facility as a regional attraction that would entice people from Morristown to Roanoke to vacation in Kingsport as well as bring in national swim meets.
With the way developments have been, it feels like everything has been made to appeal to anyone BUT people that live in Kingsport. Look at the Pavilion and all the other developments that are taking place on the outskirts. I'm not going to waste my time going to these places. Too much time and gas. The Aquatic Center is just another development for which Kingsport is footing the bill, yet it feels like it was made to entice everyone but people that live here.

The people running this city need lessons in urban design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol