U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:26 AM

106 posts, read 193,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Why should they renovate or go out of business when they are getting tons of business as is? That is similar to what I hear about the movie theatre. Yes, it is dated. But it is always full. Why should a business spend money when market forces do not require them to?
I can't speak for everyone, but I only go to the JC movie theater when circumstances force me to. My wife and I and all our friends will typically drive to Asheville for movies we are interested in seeing. If the rumored IMAX in Kingsport ever actually happens, I'll never set foot in the JC theater again. What I'm most excited about at The Pinnacle is the hope that we'll get a good theater in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:36 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,156,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
...you can't just compare the population of the Tri-Cities vs. Greenville, SC, Roanoke, VA, or anywhere else. Mean and median income of the Tri-Cities is far lower and if you want to open a business you have to sell things to people with money. Even jobs that should have good salaries pay less in this region.
Actually, the incomes in those areas are not drastically different:

Greenville
* Est. median household income in 2012: $40,023
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $14.82
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $19.41

Roanoke
* Est. median household income in 2012: $37,890
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $15.22
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $19.66

Kingsport
* Est. median household income in 2012: $38,918
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $14.39
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $18.41

Johnson City
* Est. median household income in 2012: $38,014
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $13.88
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $17.98

Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 PM

745 posts, read 2,021,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Actually, the incomes in those areas are not drastically different:

Greenville
* Est. median household income in 2012: $40,023
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $14.82
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $19.41

Roanoke
* Est. median household income in 2012: $37,890
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $15.22
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $19.66

Kingsport
* Est. median household income in 2012: $38,918
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $14.39
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $18.41

Johnson City
* Est. median household income in 2012: $38,014
* Median hourly wage May 2013: $13.88
* Mean hourly wage May 2013: $17.98
I would argue that these stats are a bit misleading and I poorly worded my original statement. One other factor is that in larger cities the wealthier tend to live outside city limits. If you zoom out to Roanoke County the median income shoots up to $59,400 to $61,600 depending on the source. Same is true to a lesser extent to the much larger population in Greenville county with a median household income of $45,600. In Washington/Sullivan counties there's not a significant difference. City data also has nice graphics showing we tend to have a lower percentage in those upper income brackets. Not to get too swamped with numbers, but my main point is with a lower population, lower median income, and lower percentage of high earners, the area really needs a better incomes to drive the economy. Anecdotally, this is a bit of a sore point for me because I love this area and want to stay, but have recently agreed to a new job in another area that pays significantly more per year with better benefits than what's available in my field in Johnson City. However, it just seems like a systemic issue for the region that will hold the area back for years to come.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:56 PM

28,477 posts, read 21,364,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Page2 View Post
I don't want to seem argumentative, but I think considerations often overlooked are wealth factors in the Tri-Cities. While it true that the region as a whole has a weak income position. But when you drill down a little the picture changes from a marketing and retail perspective.

#1 The region has a very high percentage of households with no mortgage - about 10 points higher than the national average. From a retail perspective that means half the households have more disposable income than normal. The number is higher in Kingsport and Bristol while Johnson City has the lowest for the region.
#2 The recovery from the recession has created a shifting of incomes here just as it has in most areas. Some are struggling and some are doing very well. I'm looking at the 2011-2013 American Community Survey numbers for Family Incomes. I'm using Family Incomes because that's the broadest measure of consumerism. (I'm using the DP03 tables)
The US median family income in this latest study is $63,784. In Tennessee its $54,458. Bristol $48,065, Johnson City $54,663, Kingsport $53,771.
The US mean family income is $84,975, Tennessee $72,084, Bristol $61,069, Johnson City $81,959, Kingsport $74,191.
I know the median is the best measure to show the separation point, but the really interesting number is the mean family income (especially in Johnson City and Kingsport). The difference between the mean and median says there's a lot of households that make much more than then median. Factor in a lower overall cost of living here and the picture for family consumption looks pretty good.
That doesn't mean thinks are rosy for everyone. I know it's not. But I also think to say not many people have considerable disposable income overlooks an important part of this complex - and often confusing - matrix.
I agree if you look at the mean the picture looks better. I know people doing very well in the Tri, but those people are probably only 5%-15% of the population compared to the legions working for $10-$12/hr or so. A few outliers at the top aren't going to drive a consumption based economy.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypitt View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but I only go to the JC movie theater when circumstances force me to. My wife and I and all our friends will typically drive to Asheville for movies we are interested in seeing. If the rumored IMAX in Kingsport ever actually happens, I'll never set foot in the JC theater again. What I'm most excited about at The Pinnacle is the hope that we'll get a good theater in the area.
I have gone to the JC theater, but it's not as nice as Tinseltown and a good theater would really hurt the currently existing ones in the area. If you're going to Asheville to see a movie, obviously you have a little money to spend, and it isn't being spent in the Tri-Cities, which goes back to a previous poster saying those who have money often don't spend it locally.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
I would argue that these stats are a bit misleading and I poorly worded my original statement. One other factor is that in larger cities the wealthier tend to live outside city limits. If you zoom out to Roanoke County the median income shoots up to $59,400 to $61,600 depending on the source. Same is true to a lesser extent to the much larger population in Greenville county with a median household income of $45,600. In Washington/Sullivan counties there's not a significant difference. City data also has nice graphics showing we tend to have a lower percentage in those upper income brackets. Not to get too swamped with numbers, but my main point is with a lower population, lower median income, and lower percentage of high earners, the area really needs a better incomes to drive the economy. Anecdotally, this is a bit of a sore point for me because I love this area and want to stay, but have recently agreed to a new job in another area that pays significantly more per year with better benefits than what's available in my field in Johnson City. However, it just seems like a systemic issue for the region that will hold the area back for years to come.
Here around Indy, higher income people live in the suburbs, generally. That's why you have rich suburbs like Carmel and Zionsville where the well off people are, and the Indy city limits tend to be poorer overall. In the Tri-Cities, the cities are too small for true wealth enclaves to form in suburban areas, which means a more uniform distribution of income all over.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:34 AM

184 posts, read 214,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I agree if you look at the mean the picture looks better. I know people doing very well in the Tri, but those people are probably only 5%-15% of the population compared to the legions working for $10-$12/hr or so. A few outliers at the top aren't going to drive a consumption based economy.
I don't think anyone denies that some individuals and families have seen a decrease in income. It's a fact; however, that doesn't negate the fact that others have seen increases and the numbers are higher than 5% or 15%. The same 2011-2013 American Community Survey shows the percentage of households with incomes in the top four brackets ($75,000 through $200,000 and up) are:
Johnson City 35.1%
Kingsport 34.9%
Bristol 27.5%.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 AM

30 posts, read 69,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I have gone to the JC theater, but it's not as nice as Tinseltown and a good theater would really hurt the currently existing ones in the area. If you're going to Asheville to see a movie, obviously you have a little money to spend, and it isn't being spent in the Tri-Cities, which goes back to a previous poster saying those who have money often don't spend it locally.
I don't see a movie often but when I do I either see it in the mall in Kingsport or I head to Tinseltown in Bristol. Personally I hate the Marquee Cinema in JC, I quit going to it years ago because every time I went I had some issues and they have the rudest employees as well. The Marquee in JC has terrible bleed over in some theaters and I swear almost every time I went the movie would stop or stutter out, they always seemed to have technical issues. I'm not sure if JC still has that other ran down junky theater either but honestly as far as the Tri-Cities goes JC has the worst theaters. Most people I know in this area go to Bristol to see a movie and to a lesser extent Kingsport, hardly anybody seems to actually watch a movie in JC.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:45 PM

667 posts, read 825,761 times
Stores, new movie theater to open March 2015 at Bristol, TN's Pi - WJHL.com

New round of stores announced at The Pinnacle. I am honestly surprised at quite a few of them (J Crew, The Loft, Carters, etc.) that are making their debut in the Tri-Cities. While these aren't "high-end" stores, they are a step up from what is currently available but are not located in the wealthiest city. The JC Mall would have been the perfect location for these stores. I must say I am a little bitter but I really don't understand why a retailer, looking at economic and demographic data, would choose this location. I guess there is always a chance they will open second locations in JC (different metro) but idk. It's also funny there are 2 Ulta's now in Sullivan County but not one in JC.

There seems to have been a retail boom of sorts in Sullivan County in the last several years with developments in Kingsport in addition to this one. The county's population, though, is stagnant, aging, and not as wealthy compared to Washington County. It all just seems weird. I would love for someone to be able to explain this to me.

Finally, the main reason for The Pinnacle is the border regions law that was passed recently allowing these retail developments near the state line to retain a certain percentage of sales taxes that would normally be passed on to the state. This allows for some very nice incentives to be offered. Crony capitalism at its finest but is it really sustainable? With Johnson City being the most desirable city in the region, the wealthiest, and the only one really growing, it will be interesting to see what transpires in the coming years.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:43 PM

691 posts, read 1,276,290 times
I think you explained it well. Bristol taxpayers are paying a ton of money so that these retail establishments can come. As a resident of Johnson City, i say let Bristol have it. It is not a proper use of tax money, does not add anything of real value to the community, and i want my tax dollars to be used to encourage better jobs and services to the city. I would rather JC spend money helping the ETSU arts center than encouraging massive retail developments. Heck, Kingsport is even subsidizing higher end residential development because they got jealous of Johnson City's housing. I would be very upset if i were a taxpayer in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol