Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see Macy's, as it would provide some real variety in the area. Most of the stores that are opening are either duplicates or not really special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM

677 posts, read 1,072,395 times
Not to hijack the thread but for what is supposed to be a super-regional shopping destination I have seen very little press about this place outside of Sullivan County. In Johnson City there are no billboards and there has really been next to nothing in the local newspaper about the development. If they are expecting to attract shoppers from Morristown, Roanoke, Asheville, and up into SE KY and WV you think they would at least advertise heavy in the JC metro. I mean there have been several large articles in the JC Press about Aldi opening and even some about the new Bojangles and Taco Bell in Erwin. I just find it strange.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Not to hijack the thread but for what is supposed to be a super-regional shopping destination I have seen very little press about this place outside of Sullivan County. In Johnson City there are no billboards and there has really been next to nothing in the local newspaper about the development. If they are expecting to attract shoppers from Morristown, Roanoke, Asheville, and up into SE KY and WV you think they would at least advertise heavy in the JC metro. I mean there have been several large articles in the JC Press about Aldi opening and even some about the new Bojangles and Taco Bell in Erwin. I just find it strange.
True, but JC also has its own extensive retail base to protect. They really don't want people going up to this new development.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
» Bed Bath and Beyond: April
» Beef Jerkey Outlet: April
» Boot Barn: April
» East Coast Wings: April
» GNC Live Well: April
» Great Clips: April
» Jersey Mike’s: April
» Johnny Brusco’s Pizza: April
» Dick’s Sporting Goods: May
» Mattress Firm: May
» Ulta: May
» Zaxby’s: May
More than 20 businesses slated to open over the next 10 weeks - TriCities.com: News
That's quite a list on mongrels. Hard to imagine anyone driving any distance to go there. Maybe if you are already at Bass Pro--although I hear it is a comparatively small store and I have no idea where the next closest one is located--you might stop in for a sub or a slice of pizza.....but "regional shopping destination"? Maybe no.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,802,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
True, but JC also has its own extensive retail base to protect. They really don't want people going up to this new development.
Well, Steve Johnson can afford to pay for interstate billboards aplenty and he if wants to rent such spaces in JC (or Baileyton or Wytheville,) nobody will try to stop him.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
To paraphrase some old dude, "you hear that giant sucking sound?"

Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 PM

195 posts, read 275,330 times
I visited Bass Pro with my grandson last weekend and drove through the parking lot just to see what I could see. There were a lot of license plates from Virginia, Washington and Hawkins counties and 10 or 12 from Greene County. That's not a scientific study, but it was enough to show me that on that day there were more than just Sullivan County cars in the lot.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:34 PM

677 posts, read 1,072,395 times
Quote:
That's quite a list on mongrels. Hard to imagine anyone driving any distance to go there. Maybe if you are already at Bass Pro--although I hear it is a comparatively small store and I have no idea where the next closest one is located--you might stop in for a sub or a slice of pizza.....but "regional shopping destination"? Maybe no.
This. Plus, the next closest Bass Pro is in Sevierville maybe an hour and 15 minutes down 81; not super far away. I just find it interesting that Steve Johnson has been quoted describing The Pinnacle as “Our objective is to give consumers a one-of-a-kind opportunity from Whitesburg, Kentucky, to Roanoke, Virginia, Asheville, North Carolina, to Morristown, Tennessee and all parts in between,” Johnson said last week. “Not only is The Pinnacle a sales generator for Bristol and Sullivan County, it will also be a creator of new jobs for our entire region. This will be a destination shopping experience and we expect the whole area to benefit from those coming here to The Pinnacle.”

Maybe he is just waiting for more stores to open but there has been zero advertising in terms of billboards, newspaper, or news articles outside of Sullivan County. Also the development groups in JC and Washington County act like this project doesn't even exist so I find the idea of a regional attraction somewhat far-fetched. I bet many in the JC metro don't know much about it outside of Bass Pro.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM

311 posts, read 397,957 times
Actually a Roanoke NBC (WSLS 10) station picked up on an article from WJHL (A Johnson City, TN station) about The Pinnacle and posted it on their website. A couple of smaller mags covered Bass Pro shop opening in Bristol,TN as well. So actually it has gotten some press and attention from outside of the area.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,211,967 times
Does anyone know if this new McDonalds will take the place of the old one on West State Street? I am thinking they would go ahead and keep the old one open, as that is a fairly long drive out there from mid Bristol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol