U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,157,075 times

Advertisements

Yee-Haw Brewing Co. & its onsite restaurant, Asheville-based White Duck Taco Shop, opened last week in downtown JC while Knoxville-based We're Cooking has just opened a new location near ETSU.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 21,144 times
Smokey Bones by the mall is nasty food was ok, but there was bug crawling near the table.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:27 PM

2,163 posts, read 3,964,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Portico has done a good job. I presume from the level of activity which I see in there regularly that they are not losing money. Might even be making a little after a year or so which is good for a new restaurant.

BAD Feng shui (say what you will--time will tell) to be moving into a space where TWO restaurants have failed.
I know most people say a restaurant loses money for the first six months, but I believe (with first hand experience to back it up) that the conventional wisdom is wrong. If a restaurant isn't making money after 3 months, you better just shut the doors. The first month you get all the "look n see what's new" folks. If you make a half way decent impression, you see a drop off but get a nice little wave of new folks for about the next two months. After that you plateau or tank based on repeat customers, and if you tank, it takes a miracle to turn it around. Hopefully you plateau at a sustainable level and are able to steadily increase your prices at or above the rate of inflation without losing customers because you can only increase capacity at a certain location so much.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 PM

2,163 posts, read 3,964,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Maybe they want to take advantage of the event space in the building. Stir-Fry Group has this sort of setup in Bristol with 620 State and might be trying to replicate in in downtown JC.

As an aside, it is nice to see establishments geared toward higher income clientele coming downtown. It really shows confidence in downtown and the belief that this revitalization effort is for real. Oh how I would love for some more restaurants with North JC strip-mall locations to make the move (i.e. Gourmet & Company, Cafe Lola, Sahib, Bella Vita).
I thought The Label was sort of a 620 State clone. Portico seemed a little different.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:46 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,157,075 times
Things are cooking at the Kingsport Pavilion.

Kingsport's building department on Wednesday issued a $700,000 building permit to Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers for the construction of a new restaurant. The 3,000 square foot building will go in beside the Panda Express restaurant, which is currently under construction.

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers coming to Kingsport Pavilion | Kingsport Times-News

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

Old 08-14-2015, 01:14 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,105,900 times
Finally got to Korean Taco last night. We are familiar with Korean food so it was a must. I got the stir fried squid and given the option of mild or hot I opted for hot. May have been a mistake, it was right on the borderline of my tolerance but I managed by rationing my Pepsi. Ideally between mild and hot would be best for me.

But that aside it was still very very good, as was my wife's beef wrap. I also got one taco just because, it was meh. The portion was huge and it was nearly as good leftover, even in a motel microwave. We made friends with the folks at the next table, she was Indonesian, and they said the Thai food in JC isn't very good. But that's OK, Korean Taco may fill the void.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM

746 posts, read 1,584,817 times
A new strip mall is going in in Kingsport, next to Five Guys and Pie Five. It's already leased out with for fast casuals food, like Wing Nuts and Moe's Grill.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:51 PM

125 posts, read 139,254 times
THE DINING ROOM in Jonesborough - Went there for the first time today and will definitely be back! I didn't want to order a sandwich - I can make sandwiches at home; I wanted something a bit more unusual. We both got Tropi Chops (mine was pork, hers was ground beef) served on yummy beans and rice with cilantro and fresh salsa/herbs, etc. The portions were good, but not ridiculously "American" huge - we cleaned our plates, leaving just enough room for an amazing dessert. Service was great and we sat in the cute little garden patio out back; it was shady and just lovely. Can't say if it's "authentic" as I don't know much about Cuban food, but it was delicious, fresh and something different.

Oh, I also had my first experience at MONA LISA'S recently - for anyone who hasn't tried it, the panini and soups were yummy and the gelato is unbelievable with flavors to die for! I got a scoop of Cherry "Gracia" and a scoop of "chocolate covered strawberry." My daughter's Pink Grapefruit was sweet and tart and refreshing. And they'll let you taste test any flavors you want. Mmmmm.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 AM

185 posts, read 237,024 times
Speaking of Mona Lisa's - my husband and I were in Rome this summer and of course had gelato every night. Coming home, we missed that and didn't think anywhere near here could compare. We decided to at least give Mona Lisa's a shot though. Turns out it's nearly as good as all the little awesome gelato shops in Rome so YAY!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:56 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,105,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombattver View Post
THE DINING ROOM in Jonesborough - Went there for the first time today and will definitely be back! I didn't want to order a sandwich - I can make sandwiches at home; I wanted something a bit more unusual. We both got Tropi Chops (mine was pork, hers was ground beef) served on yummy beans and rice with cilantro and fresh salsa/herbs, etc. The portions were good, but not ridiculously "American" huge - we cleaned our plates, leaving just enough room for an amazing dessert. Service was great and we sat in the cute little garden patio out back; it was shady and just lovely. Can't say if it's "authentic" as I don't know much about Cuban food, but it was delicious, fresh and something different.

Oh, I also had my first experience at MONA LISA'S recently - for anyone who hasn't tried it, the panini and soups were yummy and the gelato is unbelievable with flavors to die for! I got a scoop of Cherry "Gracia" and a scoop of "chocolate covered strawberry." My daughter's Pink Grapefruit was sweet and tart and refreshing. And they'll let you taste test any flavors you want. Mmmmm.
Great call on The Dining Room. I think I referenced it in my visit thread but it was easily one of the best eating experiences of our trip. I have no idea why I am having so much trouble finding their web site so I could tell you what I ordered, I can only find their Facebook page. But it was really really good and at a surprising price, at least for lunch. Not sure what the dinner costs are. But yeah, sit outside in the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or