Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 PM

311 posts, read 398,175 times

Advertisements

Looks like the site is about to be torn down soon, rumor has it a Walmart Neighborhood Market will be built here and that is almost 100% certain now.

Kingsport to redevelop Parkway Plaza shopping center | News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
A neighborhood market would be a welcome addition. That plaza has been vacant and an eyesore for many years now.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
A neighborhood market would be a welcome addition. That plaza has been vacant and an eyesore for many years now.
Agreed plus it's basically in downtown where all you have is Food City as a grocery store. That area could use another grocery store and that center in its current state looks terrible. Not only would it look better but a Walmart Neighborhood Market would be perfect for that location.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuser2014 View Post
Agreed plus it's basically in downtown where all you have is Food City as a grocery store. That area could use another grocery store and that center in its current state looks terrible. Not only would it look better but a Walmart Neighborhood Market would be perfect for that location.
I'm 28 and don't remember anything actually being in business there.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM

I'm 34 and I vaguely recall a small Kroger in that shopping center but my memory is pretty fuzzy, honestly this center has been dead for over twenty years. It has been such an eyesore and I always saw potential in the property so it's nice to see that finally it's being torn down and something is going in that location. With IGA closing in downtown leaving only Food City in that area a grocery store is perfect for that spot.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
Got my hair cut there as a wee lad in the early '60s. Used to eat at Burger Chef across the street. Dollar General was there until fairly recently; they built a new store just across the parking lot, so this Walmart store will probably wallop them.
Sky City: Southern and Mid-Atlantic Retail History: Parkway Plaza Shopping Center: Kingsport, TN

I do hope someone salvages the vintage sign out front. The center was built in '61 and I've always thought the sign is pretty cool.
http://archives.roueche.org/wp-conte...09/1Greene.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UJQzmnjudg...a_1_040210.jpg

Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 PM

It's beyond dated. I doubt anyone would even want it.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's beyond dated. I doubt anyone would even want it.
Of course it's "dated," but then it'll never be reused as a functional sign. It is, however, a piece of Americana and some folks endeavour to save these nostalgic pieces of yesteryear, like those signs salvaged, restored & displayed at RC's Storage in Bristol, VA. Or like Otis Eldridge's Memory Lane in Rogersville.
Tennessee Signs | RoadsideArchitecture.com

FWIW, Paul Bellamy owns Parkway Plaza and God knows he has plenty of storage space, if he has the notion to sock it away somewhere.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,571 times
The whole of Lynn Gardens should be redeveloped. Drove behind there and it reminded me of the worst of New Orleans or Atlanta. Couldn't believe housing like that existed in Kingsport. Poor Appalachia exists today!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:23 AM

195 posts, read 275,464 times
There was a flurry a couple years back that Food City was positioning itself to move into that location, but the city made them a better offer to move into the redeveloped Kingsport Press site. I don't think Walmart Neighborhood Market has signed on the dotted line yet, but they have reportedly been looking in both Kingsport and Johnson City. The Pay Less, Dollar General Market and Aldi seem to be doing well and they are to Walmart Superstores what Walmart Superstores were to grocery stores. I read no long ago that grocery is about 30% of Walmart's profit and it's being zinged by the likes of Aldi etc. That's one reason behind the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. The big question is if this type competition and grocery adjustment continues will Walmart continue having two Superstores in Kingsport? We seem to be evolving into a two-tiered market and most of the attention and development is moving to the lower tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol