Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 11:35 AM

311 posts, read 398,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Pier One is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. This article says they are hoping to have a "reduced footprint," but it's likley that the store in Johnson City in the Target shopping center will also close.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/17/pier...-continue.html
Bristol and Johnson City aren't on the closing list, so both are staying open for now at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:45 AM

110 posts, read 229,529 times
Lots of closings hitting the area. Just saw where Ruby Tuesday near ETSU is closing. This might be a bit harsh, but so far I haven't seen any local business that was a "strong performer" announce they were closing, but that might come if this continues.

Wonder what this might mean for some of the new openings that were pending in this area, most notably Publix. Also wondering about Chicken Salad Chick. I hope both are still planning to open.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:09 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypitt View Post
Lots of closings hitting the area. Just saw where Ruby Tuesday near ETSU is closing. This might be a bit harsh, but so far I haven't seen any local business that was a "strong performer" announce they were closing, but that might come if this continues.

Wonder what this might mean for some of the new openings that were pending in this area, most notably Publix. Also wondering about Chicken Salad Chick. I hope both are still planning to open.
I have noticed this too.

The only thing I can think of that has closed that I'll miss is Fuddruckers. With that said, they folded immediately as this thing hit, and always seemed to do good business, so my guess is there was something else going on there than just the virus. I've heard rumors of Logan's Roadhouse closing all restaurants and going bankrupt as well, but again, they're behind Texas Roadhouse and certainly Chop House in the chain steakhouse segment.

IHOP has at least temporarily closed in the Tri-Cities. Perkins closed in JC before all this hit. There is nothing exciting about the food at either of these places.

Macado's in Bristol closed. They're OK, but downtown Bristol has so many other choices in the American restaurant that does sandwiches space (Stateline, Quaker Steak, 620 State, Angry Italian all have some variety of sandwiches/wings) that Macado's just couldn't bust through. They're average, at best.

Another thing I've noticed is that the places that are opening back up have almost been exclusively local restaurants. I haven't been to JC in about two weeks, but at least in Bristol and Knoxville, the places that were open for dine-in have been locals. I passed a lot of the sit-down chains in Knoxville Saturday that were closed, but the locally owned Copper Cellar restaurant group was mostly open, and I ate at Smoky Mountain Brewery.

I hate that these people are losing jobs, but these restaurants weren't great.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:22 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypitt View Post

Hoping Chicken Salad Chick & Publix still open. I think they will.

Also, wasn't Guy Fieri's Chicken coming to JC too? https://chickenguy.com/

Old 05-04-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have noticed this too.

The only thing I can think of that has closed that I'll miss is Fuddruckers. With that said, they folded immediately as this thing hit, and always seemed to do good business, so my guess is there was something else going on there than just the virus. I've heard rumors of Logan's Roadhouse closing all restaurants and going bankrupt as well, but again, they're behind Texas Roadhouse and certainly Chop House in the chain steakhouse segment.

IHOP has at least temporarily closed in the Tri-Cities. Perkins closed in JC before all this hit. There is nothing exciting about the food at either of these places.

Macado's in Bristol closed. They're OK, but downtown Bristol has so many other choices in the American restaurant that does sandwiches space (Stateline, Quaker Steak, 620 State, Angry Italian all have some variety of sandwiches/wings) that Macado's just couldn't bust through. They're average, at best.

Another thing I've noticed is that the places that are opening back up have almost been exclusively local restaurants. I haven't been to JC in about two weeks, but at least in Bristol and Knoxville, the places that were open for dine-in have been locals. I passed a lot of the sit-down chains in Knoxville Saturday that were closed, but the locally owned Copper Cellar restaurant group was mostly open, and I ate at Smoky Mountain Brewery.

I hate that these people are losing jobs, but these restaurants weren't great.
I didn't know Fuddruckers closed. Also, with Jason's Deli and Tupelo Honey closing last year in JC (or in 2018?), JC is losing some of my favorite spots to visit while there.

This thing is hitting the economy hard, and restaurants are gonna be the first casualties, sadly.

I read the Texas Roadhouse (!!) in Gatlinburg closed, too. But I think that will be replaced fast.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Is there any chain or fast food joint known to mankind that isn't present in the Johnson City area? It is a wonder that any of them make money, let alone thrive. Losing a handful of them is a start, but I can think of many that ought to go just to put the citizens out of their misery.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:28 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Is there any chain or fast food joint known to mankind that isn't present in the Johnson City area? It is a wonder that any of them make money, let alone thrive. Losing a handful of them is a start, but I can think of many that ought to go just to put the citizens out of their misery.
Chains are what is popular in JC, but point taken.

I don't think there is a Chipotle in Johnson City, but probably one in the area.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:54 AM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Chains are what is popular in JC, but point taken.

I don't think there is a Chipotle in Johnson City, but probably one in the area.
Correct, there is not a Chipotle in Johnson City nor is there one anywhere in the region. The closest are in Blowing Rock and Asheville. Just off the top of my head, there is no Culver's, Raising Cane's, Firehouse Subs, Smashburger, and Jack in the Box. I don't necessarily think all of these are needed here but it goes to show there are many chains without a local presence.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:33 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I think the days of being able to open up any kind of restaurant chain with little regard to food quality or service are just about over.

Fortunately, the local places like Freiberg's and the Stir Fry group seem to be holding up better.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Correct, there is not a Chipotle in Johnson City nor is there one anywhere in the region. The closest are in Blowing Rock and Asheville. Just off the top of my head, there is no Culver's, Raising Cane's, Firehouse Subs, Smashburger, and Jack in the Box. I don't necessarily think all of these are needed here but it goes to show there are many chains without a local presence.
Yeah, those are not here. There are TONS of popular chains in bigger city metro areas that are not in the tri-cities region.

The ones you mentioned have no locations in the tri-cities region.

Plus there are no Baskin-Robbins, Taco John, Zoe's, Whataburger, El Pollo Loco, Church's Chicken, Boston Market, Carl's Jr (Hardees are the southeast division I think though), Qdoba, Del Taco, and many, many more.

The tri-cities is just not a large enough market, in order to support the variety of locations for most of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol