Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM

185 posts, read 286,998 times

Advertisements

City Castle open house to highlight artistic possibilities | Johnson City Press

I love the idea of turning this into something that can help draw people to JC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM

677 posts, read 1,063,663 times
If this can happen it will be an amazing asset to both Johnson City and the region. If an arts center is developed, managed, and promoted properly it will be a draw to JC and give a boost to the image of the city and give credibility to the local arts scene. This is the type of thing that could really set JC apart from the rest of the cities in Northeast TN. I think it will take someone with deep pockets stepping in to make it happen, though.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,317,881 times
Wonderful idea!!! Thanks for posting this.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:31 PM

712 posts, read 1,479,169 times
I think it is a great idea too, but it appears that the fundraising isn't going well. If the public doesn't want it enough to contribute to it, it shouldn't happen.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,775,445 times
One of Tennessee's most notable landmarks has been saved by a West Coast recording artist. The historic Oaks Castle mansion in Johnson City has been purchased by ATG recording artist Sylvia Polite of Modesto, California. Not only will Polite make Oaks Castle her residence, she also plans to use it to feature various fine art and her own high-end clothing lines.

“I am humbled to have the opportunity to live and work in Tennessee,” Polite states. “The Oaks Castle is truly a labor of love. I look forward to getting to know the folks in Johnson City. My intent is to use my talents to restore and preserve the Oaks Castle. And, I hope to make the people in the area proud.”

ATG recording artist purchases Oaks Castle mansion; will exhibit high-end clothing line

Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 AM

677 posts, read 1,063,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
One of Tennessee's most notable landmarks has been saved by a West Coast recording artist. The historic Oaks Castle mansion in Johnson City has been purchased by ATG recording artist Sylvia Polite of Modesto, California. Not only will Polite make Oaks Castle her residence, she also plans to use it to feature various fine art and her own high-end clothing lines.

“I am humbled to have the opportunity to live and work in Tennessee,” Polite states. “The Oaks Castle is truly a labor of love. I look forward to getting to know the folks in Johnson City. My intent is to use my talents to restore and preserve the Oaks Castle. And, I hope to make the people in the area proud.”

ATG recording artist purchases Oaks Castle mansion; will exhibit high-end clothing line
This is wonderful news! I'm so glad that at least someone has the foresight to preserve this historic place, unlike the Model Mill. This lady's vision sounds awesome and I think it's great she's choosing to invest in Johnson City!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:55 PM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
I think there is some potential in the city for a more artsy/weird vibe. There were a lot of folks like that at the university and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't taken off more, at least in small bites.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,775,445 times
I have to admit that I was not impressed with Sylvia Polite's background when I researched her a bit...just seemed a bit sketchy, with more fluff than substance.

After months under contract by an elusive out-of-town artist, the Oaks Castle is again for sale.

On Wednesday, Realtor Colin Johnson, the Keller Williams Realty agent mostly responsible for marketing the property, confirmed an anticipated deal to sell the 14,000-square-foot manor “didn’t go through,” though Johnson demurred to elaborate on the specifics.

Oaks Castle's in the air: Property returns to market after prospective deal falls through | Johnson City Press

Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 AM

194 posts, read 272,708 times
This has potential if the local community is willing to invest their money in it. I'm afraid they will be disappointed it they look for someone else to put up the money to preserve something they think should be preserved.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 AM

712 posts, read 1,479,169 times
This will eventually sell as a residential space. The whole art thing does not have nearly enough support from the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
View detailed profiles of: