Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:35 PM

96 posts, read 563,090 times

Advertisements

Hi...... Everything that I have ever read & every picture that I have ever seen has led me to believe that Greeneville, Tennessee appears to be among one of the most perfect communities to live in the US. My wife & I are recently retired and live with her severely handicapped son. A work related injury has also left me permanently partially disabled with limited ambulation. I had long dreamed about retiring to a town like Greeneville; but now I am uncertain as to whether our required medical care may preclude us from retiring to Greeneville ? I have heard that there are good Hospitals in Johnson City/ Kingsport area which I understand is not too far from Greeneville ? I knew an Assistant District Attorney who retired to that golf community ( which I believe is called Fairfield Glade ? ) in nearby Crossville & I understand he loves Tennessee.----- What are the pros & cons of retiring to Greeneville especially if you are a " Yankee " from Long Island, New York ??---- During the summer of 2006; I used to get many fantastic pictures & answers from " mbmouse " re' The Tri-City area under my previous member name ( mr doowopp ) however a series of surgeries has resulted in increased disabilities re: my step-son & myself making our need for good healthcare even more important now than in 2006. Per map quest, Johnson City Medical Center is 35 miles from Greeneville. I still have hopes of moving to the Tri-City area & would like to know what are the best retirement areas & also hear from anyone who lives/lived in Greeneville ? ----Thanks

Last edited by DADDYO49; 01-12-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Hi Mr. Doowop! Wonder where you went to. Sorry to hear of the health issues, but glad to know you seem to be on the mend and in better spirits, that is good. (Check your DM about the name changing thing )
I think you are on the right track, being closer to the Tri-Cities for medical care would be very wise.
You could look hard at the few little towns/areas in between Greeneville and JC though. Like Jonesborough, Telford, Limestone, Afton. There are a few that might fit your needs nicely.
Glad to have you back on the forum.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Afton is very nice (lived there for 17 years), but it's not any closer to the Tri-Cities than most of East Greeneville. The difference in distance between East Greene County (Afton, Chuckey) and Telford/Limestone to JC is minimal. Jonesborough is a bit closer, though. Depends - are you looking for ultra rural? Greene. Do you ever find yourselves bored and need to do some retail therapy or like to go out at night? Johnson City.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:07 PM

25 posts, read 47,412 times
I have been trying to research the Greeneville area and came across this post from 2008. 11 yrs have passed, I am curious to residents of Greeneville, what all still remains the same, what has changed? What is your opinion on Greeneville today and for the future? I drove through Greeneville once, at night, and stopped for dinner at FATZ, but didn't get much of a feel for the city as it was dark and only had a hour or less to drive around. I know there have been some concerns with potential radiation in the Nolichucky river due to possible leaks from the nuclear plant in Erwin. Thanks!

https://www.greenevillesun.com/news/...e1fbdad36.html

https://grist.org/article/2010-11-15...hArr1KRa1fcFK8

https://www.facingsouth.org/2015/09/...g0QcTwanUy8ds8

Last edited by TodGre; 07-19-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 09:16 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I grew up in Greeneville. I do not live there now, but visit at least once per year. Not much has really changed since 2008, except new retail on 11-E in the eastern part of Greeneville & Greene Co. New/renovated grocery stores, a fairly new Walmart, and most of the typical chains you see around Walmart (Gamestop, Dollar Tree, etc.). Johnson City is only about 30 minutes away if you need other stores (Best Buy, Target, etc.)

Greeneville has a lot to do if you are into the outdoors. The mountain views are stunning in Greeneville, and they are just a short drive away from town. There is a minor league baseball team that plays at Tusculum (the local college) in a very nice stadium.

For the future: Greeneville is probably always going to be Greeneville. Unlike Jonesborough, we do not have the luxury of having a large college city of Johnson City. Greeneville lacks good-paying jobs, so the population is likely going to decrease in the future. Most of the young, college-educated folks from Greeneville leave for Knoxville, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. because you can't find white collar jobs in Greeneville outside of a handful of options that are quite competitive. Greeneville has an older retired population. It was highly dependent on manufacturing and when the Magaovox plant closed in the '90s, it was a major loss of a major employer for the city.

There are some positives. Scott Niswonger is a huge boost for Greeneville. He built the NPAC, which hosts national concert acts and other entertainment. The Capitol Theater is alive and well and has plays, comedy improv, movies, and much more on a regular basis. The General Morgan Inn & Conference Center is one of the nicest hotels in Upper East TN, and also has a great restaurant. There are a few other good restaurants in Greeneville, but it is mostly fast food other than that.

Walmart still bottles & sells their water from the Greeneville municipal supply. Not saying that is dispostive, but it has not scared them. Obviously, if you are seriously concerned about the drinking water, I would just buy bottled water from other sources or get it direct from a high mountain stream in Greene Co. I haven't heard of any cases of concern yet, but that is not to say it hasn't happened.

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 07-21-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-03-2019, 06:11 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times
What about pay? I see the Premium Waters is hiring but wonder what kind of pay. I am looking for forklift jobs. I am wondering if there is a living for my 30ish son, in Greeneville.
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
What about pay? I see the Premium Waters is hiring but wonder what kind of pay. I am looking for forklift jobs. I am wondering if there is a living for my 30ish son, in Greeneville.
Thanks in advance.
I cannot speak specifically to this employer, but pay is generally quite low in Greeneville and East Tennessee compared to other markets. My best guesstimate is something like $12-16/hr.

Also, it is important to note that if he does not get that job, there are not a whole lot of other opportunities with similar pay. There are plenty of retail jobs, but those are going to pay at or near minimum wage, and probably for less than 40 hours/week.

As beautiful as Greeneville is, the job market is extremely difficult. The unemployment rate is quite high there. He should also look at the Walmart Distribution Center and Meco.

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 08-05-2019 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times
Thank you AppalachianAngler. I appreciate the suggestions.
To look at houses where the pay is better I cant touch a house! I heard Walmart Distribution Center pays the forklift drivers better. Never heard of Meco but will tell him!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:57 AM

25 posts, read 47,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
I grew up in Greeneville. I do not live there now, but visit at least once per year. Not much has really changed since 2008, except new retail on 11-E in the eastern part of Greeneville & Greene Co. New/renovated grocery stores, a fairly new Walmart, and most of the typical chains you see around Walmart (Gamestop, Dollar Tree, etc.). Johnson City is only about 30 minutes away if you need other stores (Best Buy, Target, etc.)

Greeneville has a lot to do if you are into the outdoors. The mountain views are stunning in Greeneville, and they are just a short drive away from town. There is a minor league baseball team that plays at Tusculum (the local college) in a very nice stadium.

For the future: Greeneville is probably always going to be Greeneville. Unlike Jonesborough, we do not have the luxury of having a large college city of Johnson City. Greeneville lacks good-paying jobs, so the population is likely going to decrease in the future. Most of the young, college-educated folks from Greeneville leave for Knoxville, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. because you can't find white collar jobs in Greeneville outside of a handful of options that are quite competitive. Greeneville has an older retired population. It was highly dependent on manufacturing and when the Magaovox plant closed in the '90s, it was a major loss of a major employer for the city.

There are some positives. Scott Niswonger is a huge boost for Greeneville. He built the NPAC, which hosts national concert acts and other entertainment. The Capitol Theater is alive and well and has plays, comedy improv, movies, and much more on a regular basis. The General Morgan Inn & Conference Center is one of the nicest hotels in Upper East TN, and also has a great restaurant. There are a few other good restaurants in Greeneville, but it is mostly fast food other than that.

Walmart still bottles & sells their water from the Greeneville municipal supply. Not saying that is dispostive, but it has not scared them. Obviously, if you are seriously concerned about the drinking water, I would just buy bottled water from other sources or get it direct from a high mountain stream in Greene Co. I haven't heard of any cases of concern yet, but that is not to say it hasn't happened.

Thank you for your response about Greeneville. Like much of east TN (outside the Knoxville or Tri-Cities area) it sounds like as long as you aren't in dire need of a job (ie. self-employed, retired, etc.) then Greeneville might be a good place to live/raise a family/retire? I am curious for the people that do live there, do most commute to JC for work? Work jobs in Greeneville? I've always been curious by towns/cities that have stagnated or had a major employer leave how does the area cope and what changes are made. I did noticed on my one time through Greeneville all the development on 11E (especially the over-abundance of grocery store chains for a city of its size), so obviously there must be people with money, spending money in the area. Probably don't get a ton of transient travelers through there as I-81 is only a little ways to the west and parallels the area.

I would be interested in hearing more about Greene County as well (outside of Greeneville). Thanks!

Old 08-10-2019, 10:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I used to live in the city 15 years ago and loved it. The weather is great - 4 seasons, not too hot in summer, not to cold in winter. It's not the most developed area, Greeneville is still considered a small town, no mall obviously but it has the local Walmart and local Home Depot, etc, the larger tri-cities is not that far. Work - forget it. I had a professional job there but otherwise there is not much there in terms of opportunity. What is there is low paying.
Greeneville is not in the mountains, but it's nearby and convenient for hiking and camping.

From my friends that remain in the town however, I am told that meth is becoming a problem. Not sure if that is accurate but it does also have it's share of "trailer trash" residents sadly. It also has it's share of retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol