Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:32 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post

One way or the other Wellmont needs a buyer.

Wellmont has had issues with their financials over the years. Hopefully those of the past few years are in better shape than previous years.

Enter Duke Medical Center...they were originally willing to buy out the equity holders AND pay off/assume the debt.

That should make for some pretty fancy competition for HMG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
There shouldn't be any equity holders to buyout.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Health systems respond to FTC comments

http://static.lakana.com/bmg-wcybtv-...969_ver1.0.pdf

Old 11-02-2016, 09:37 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Wellmont continues to report financially solid results. Both revenue and income increased in the most recent fiscal year. Any defense of this merger should not include the argument that Wellmont needs this to survive. That is not to say that there are not other legitimate arguments.

Kingsport Times-News: Wellmont reports 'solid financial year'

Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
UPDATE: Virginia health chief delays Wellmont-MSHA merger decision - WCYB

The state of VA kicked the can down the road another two weeks. TN's decision is still on track for tomorrow, but who knows - they may also defer to VA. Word is that VA was supposed to just rubberstamp whatever TN does. However, VA is less pro-business and VA Democrats may want to put their own mark on this.

At this point, I cannot see what more information could be needed. The states essentially allowed the application a do-over after deeming the first one incomplete. That stalled the process another several months beyond what the initial timetable was.

We'll see how this plays out over the next few weeks.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Mountain States, Wellmont merger granted Certificate of Public Advantage by TN. Dept. of Health | WJHL

Well, the merger was approved by TN today.

VA is still due at the end of the month, but unless there is some sort of massive reservation, they will probably rubberstamp TN's decision.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:03 PM

677 posts, read 1,073,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Mountain States, Wellmont merger granted Certificate of Public Advantage by TN. Dept. of Health | WJHL

Well, the merger was approved by TN today.

VA is still due at the end of the month, but unless there is some sort of massive reservation, they will probably rubberstamp TN's decision.
This is excellent news! I'm anxious to see the transition plan and while I'm sure there will be winners and losers, in the long run I believe this will be a net positive for the region. The merger has the backing of the business and educational leadership around the region and I have to believe that they would not be supportive if the merger would result in a negative economic impact.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
This is excellent news! I'm anxious to see the transition plan and while I'm sure there will be winners and losers, in the long run I believe this will be a net positive for the region. The merger has the backing of the business and educational leadership around the region and I have to believe that they would not be supportive if the merger would result in a negative economic impact.
I will say there is a lot of fear out there. Both MSHA and Wellmont have urgent cares in Norton, VA. How could little Norton possibly need at least two urgent cares (are there more?) plus Mountain View and Norton Community Hospital? Lonesome Pine Hospital is also down the road in Big Stone Gap. I know these facilities service a fairly big geographic area, but these areas are lightly populated. I cannot imagine some consolidation not happening here. I don't know why there is a need for all that anyway.

Greeneville has both Laughlin Memorial (MSHA) and Takoma Regional (Wellmont). Greeneville is rather small. Does it need two hospitals, plus whatever other services each one is offering?

There does seem to be a lot of duplication/redundancy, but those are still jobs that people in the community depend on. This is an area that is sorely in need of large, stable employers. Outside of the two medical systems, all you really have these days are Eastman, ETSU, and local government.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
As previously stated, when the application was filed they disclosed that there would be layoffs. The fear is well founded. It will begin after the first of the year and continue for quite some time. Look for the housing market to be impacted as well as other economic indicators.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM

With Eastman's explosion this week, I wonder how that will impact the merged organization keeping offices in Kingsport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol