Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 PM

8 posts, read 10,035 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the tri city region bc of the military. We were initially looking in Johnson City and Kingsport for home rentals because they seem to have the best schools. Unfortunately, the homes available either do not accept pets (we have a lazy golden) or are way beyond our budget. This has led us to look outside those areas. We were wondering if anyone had some insight on the HS in Mount Carmel, or Jonesborough. Our daughter will be starting High School next year, and we have two boys still in elementary school. While we're concerned about all the kids, we're very focused on her education since this maybe the school she graduates from. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by JMT; 04-10-2015 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 PM

677 posts, read 1,073,055 times
Johnson City and Kingsport are both excellent school systems (I'd give a slight edge to Johnson City) with Washington County schools being the next best option but they are a good bit below city schools in terms of quality and performance, IMO. I wouldn't even consider any other school systems in the area.

What is your rental budget? There is a large rental market here, especially in Johnson City with it being a college town but it can be hard to find available properties. Some of us here might be able to point you to some specific areas.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:47 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
FWIW, Volunteer HS is in Church Hill rather than Mount Carmel. Without looking at their most recent numbers, I know VHS traditionally is pretty weak academically and David Crockett HS (Jonesborough) isn't much, if any, better. I'd rank Daniel Boone HS (Gray) just a notch above those two schools.

Have you looked at rental homes in Bristol, TN? The high school there (Tennessee) is quite a bit stronger academically than the options mentioned above.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:34 PM

His BAH is only 1225 a month. Normally that covers our utilities as well, but we'll be lucky if that covers our rent. I'm a stay at home mom, and while I'd love to work, his work schedule and lack of family and friends near us makes it difficult. So we'd like to be around the $1200 mark, and that is pushing it. I haven't really checked out Bristol. We were trying to keep his commute short being that when we lived in MS he drove 70 miles one way just so our kids could attend a decent school. And those were hard to come by there. I'm just a loss because he starts work June 29, and that's fast approaching. We are planning on coming down in two weeks when he completes some training to settle on a house.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:52 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Completely remodeled 3 bedroom, 1 bath home in Colonial Heights!

Decent rent, location and accepts dogs.

Schools are what you make of them - especially if you're a stay at home mom who can squeeze some time to work with your kids one-on-one. I graduated from a mid-range school in a subpar school district in East Tennessee, and have a master's degree. It's totally dependent on the kid and the *family*, not the school.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM

That's a beautiful home, and I probably missed it on my search since it's only 1 bathroom. We have five people in our family and we've done the one bathroom thing. I don't mind it so much, but my husband does. Other than that it gorgeous! Everything I'd want in a home. Thank you so much for looking.
And I agree with you about it having a lot to do with the family. I too graduated from a subpar school but mine was in Pennsylvania. While my freshman year was shaky I managed to do very well and graduate. I guess I just don't want them to miss out on potential opportunities that a 'better' school may offer.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:03 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,041 times
Most folks from outside the area would not be acquainted with the "E-classified" which is a locally based resource. They have a rental section which is mostly beach and mountain vacation properties but it usually has some Tri-Cities home listings.
Rentals | The EClassifieds

Someone here suggested the Elmhurst Street house in Colonial Heights and I noticed one on "E-classifieds" also in Colonial Heights that appears to be a bit larger home and with a "qualified" pet allowance. I can't recognize house or the neighborhood from the limited outside views.
Nice house for rent 3 bedroom 1.5 bath Colonial Heights

From the "center" of Colonial Heights (Fort henry and Lebanon/Colonial Heights Road intersection) to the new guard facility in Gray varies from 6.5 to 8 miles depending on use of main roads or short cuts.

The Sullivan County high school serving Colonial Heights is Sullivan South and some of us view it a fine and noble institution. Substantial parts of Colonial Heights have recently been annexed into Kingsport and those would be served by Kingsport"s Doybns-Bennett High School which is also a fine and noble institution. The listing refers to this as a Sullivan County home but that doesn't necessarily mean it is outside the city limits.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:44 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Dobyns-Bennett in Kingsport is a good high school. However, I'm not so sure of the elementary and middle schools that feed into it. Also, I'd be wary about raising kids in Kingsport. I'm from Kingsport and am very critical of it - it is a rundown, basically one company town that has been declining. Johnson City and to some extent Bristol's downtown and Bristol, VA have been modernizing, but Kingsport feels dirty and stuck in the past. Crime in Kingsport is significantly higher than most towns throughout the region and I think it would be easy for kids to fall in with the wrong crowd in Kingsport especially.

I also wouldn't recommend county schools at all. Sullivan County was bad when I graduated high school eleven years ago - by the account of a couple of cousins I have still in school there, it is worse now.

Obviously you have to come, but I would sacrifice and try to live in Johnson City or Bristol. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, but be aware that the quality of education outside the city schools is pitiful.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,041 times
Hogwash!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Dobyns-Bennett in Kingsport is a good high school. However, I'm not so sure of the elementary and middle schools that feed into it.
Are you saying the middle and elementary schools aren't good? You can't have a good high school without having a good feeder school or two, otherwise where do the HS students come from, those that make Dobyns-Bennett good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol