U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 06:08 AM

2,163 posts, read 3,964,106 times

Advertisements

My fear isn't getting one. I know where they are; I'd have to be pretty stupid to get one. Even if I did get one that I didn't deserve, I would write the check rather than spend a day challenging it.

As outlined earlier, my fear is the "sucking effect" on the local economy. It's like having a special tax but distributing half the money to a foreign entity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 PM

667 posts, read 825,761 times
So it appears there will be a couple significant announcements tomorrow regarding area jobs. Good and bad. Downtown JC may be landing a corporate HQ bringing 25+ jobs making over $125,000 per year and many more lower-paying support jobs.

On the other hand, CSX might be announcing a significant workforce reduction at their Erwin facility. Not good news for a town trying to revive itself.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:58 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,021,955 times
Keep us posted!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:20 AM

28,477 posts, read 21,364,064 times
This is very bad news. Approximately 300 personnel will be laid off, including employees and contractors. CSX is citing low coal traffic and reduced demand for the rail services.

CSX to reduce operations, workforce in Erwin, TN; impacting 300 jobs | WJHL

Old 10-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Just about to post the same thing. This is absolutely terrible. What's even worse is the way the press release is worded, it sounds like the entire former Clinchfield rail line might be shut down; if not permanently at least mothballed. I do feel like this was inevitable with the decline of the coal industry but it still hurts.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:59 PM

What are the ramifications for the coal operations still in business in Eastern KY and SW VA?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Allied Dispatch Solutions plans to locate in Johnson City, hire nearly 500 workers | WJHL
Call Center

Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Allied Dispatch Solutions plans to locate in Johnson City, hire nearly 500 workers | WJHL
Call Center
There is more to this than just the call center expansion. They are significantly expanding their existing call center in the Borla park of Interstate 26 in South JC (Actually in Carter County) but more importantly, they are relocating their corporate offices to downtown JC. A previous report said this will mean 25 jobs paying $125,000+ with some support staff at lesser salaries. It is also another feather in the cap of downtown to be able to land a corporate tenant. It adds another measure of legitimacy to the ongoing revitalization and is a step towards the live/work/play environment downtown should strive for.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
What are the ramifications for the coal operations still in business in Eastern KY and SW VA?
I can't imagine there is much steam left in them. Alpha Natural filed for bankruptcy not long ago. Massey was bought by ANR years ago after the mine explosion in WV and they were having financial problems as well.

The thing is coal has been contracting for years now. The cheap, easy to get coal is long gone. The coal that remains is harder to get to and more expensive. Coal has become increasingly automated and you need fewer workers now to achieve the same productivity. Much of the coal that is left is mined out west. Obama has hurt it, definitely, but there were many, many problems long before he came in office.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
There is more to this than just the call center expansion. They are significantly expanding their existing call center in the Borla park of Interstate 26 in South JC (Actually in Carter County) but more importantly, they are relocating their corporate offices to downtown JC. A previous report said this will mean 25 jobs paying $125,000+ with some support staff at lesser salaries. It is also another feather in the cap of downtown to be able to land a corporate tenant. It adds another measure of legitimacy to the ongoing revitalization and is a step towards the live/work/play environment downtown should strive for.
25 jobs isn't a lot, but it does help Johnson City's credibility and reputation. Those people will probably stay in JC, and spend their money there. The area has a healthy, but small, upper class, and a lot of poor. It needs more of the middle income support/professional classes (think $50k-$75k) jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or