Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times

Advertisements

So the median family income wouldnt include single working adults living alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:28 PM

677 posts, read 1,073,395 times
Quote:
So the median family income wouldnt include single working adults living alone?
That is correct.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 PM

195 posts, read 275,534 times
Median family income includes single adult living alone?

Could you source that.
I know a household income would include single people but here's the Census Bureau definition of a family is "A family is a group of two people or more (one of whom is the householder) related by birth, marriage, or adoption and residing together; all such people (including related subfamily members) are considered as members of one family." CPS Definitions - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau
on the same page a family household is defined as "A family household is a household maintained by a householder who is in a family (as defined above), and includes any unrelated people (unrelated subfamily members and/or secondary individuals) who may be residing there."

Old 08-17-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Median family income includes single adult living alone?
No it does not. MetropolitanTN's statement is correct that family income does not include single adults living alone. Household income would include singe adult's living alone and also unrelated people living together.

Family income will tend to give a better indicator of actual wealth and spending power in a community as a family will have more economic power than an unrelated household. For example, a husband and wife earning $50,000 are in a stronger economic position as a household than two roommates each earning $25,000 per year.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:42 AM

Johnson City Press: Tri-Cities housing market continues to rise

The increase in y-t-d home sales in the region can solely be attributed to Washington and Sullivan Counties with a 36.4% and 19.4% increase respectively. The remainder of counties in the region saw decreases.

Per the article, there remains a housing shortage in the region.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
IMO, one of the key factors in a poor local economy is the introduction of red light cams. I remember reading about the results from the first red light cam in Kingsport. The first year this one RLC took in $800,000 in fines. Keep in mind that was one RLC. At the same time small business operators were dropping like flies and the mall in Kingsport was labeled a ghost mall. Today there are a multitude of RLC's in the Tri-Cities taking out millions and gutting the economy. I believe the average salary here is somewhere around $30 - $40K. Considering the facts it is easy to see why the local economy is not doing as well as it should be.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I know I'm in the minority here but I don't have a problem with red light or speed cameras. Don't want a ticket from a red light camera? Don't run the red light. Now this does not apply if the cameras are faulty, obviously, but it seems to me so many are up in arms not because they were innocent. No they are upset at the method used to catch them.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
I don't have a problem with cameras in principle, but in implementation.

1. As pointed out by donsabi, 50 to 80% of the revenue generated goes to an out of state for-profit corporation.
2. That is disposable income sucked out of the local economy.
3. The machines do the jobs of local police officers.
4. The machines are static, cannot patrol multiple intersections.
5. The corporations have bribed officials in the past for these lucrative contracts.
6. Some of the locations are unethical. Bluff City put one on a safe stretch of road. A stretch of road that shouldn't even belong to Bluff City - miles away. But 50,000 vehicles travel this road daily, so they did it purely for profit, not safety. Most of the tickets go to residents of Bristol, Johnson City, or race fans.
7. Let's say you get a ticket in the mail from the cameras. You drive this route every day. You don't recall running a light and you're generally a cautious driver. How are you supposed to remember passing through the intersection? How are you going to determine if the camera made a mistake or you did?

Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
This post was about economic recovery. I simply pointed out that RLC's are a big drain on that economy.

I firmly believe in following the laws but in real life what happens in traffic is not written in stone nor should the laws be. That is why live police officers are the best observers and enforcers of the law. A machine is black and white with no gray areas. I lived just off East STone Dr in Kingport and could listen to the brakes squeal as people tried to stop before going through the light. Then you could hear the car or truck behind them trying to stop before the BAM. These RLC's did reduce t-bone accidents but they also increased rear-end accidents. As rcrain pointed out the RLC's also cost some good police their jobs.

If a person goes through the same intersection with an RLC everyday going to work. Sooner or later there will be a situation where the driver has no choice but to go through intersection a bit late and be issued a summons. i.e., like you have a 80,000 pound semi behind you and whoops, there goes that dang light. Your choice. Possible DOA or a ticket.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:03 PM

195 posts, read 275,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Johnson City Press: Tri-Cities housing market continues to rise

The increase in y-t-d home sales in the region can solely be attributed to Washington and Sullivan Counties with a 36.4% and 19.4% increase respectively. The remainder of counties in the region saw decreases.

Per the article, there remains a housing shortage in the region.
Those are y-y comparison. Year-to-date every county except Hawkins, Scott and Johnson have seen more sales in the first half of this year than last year. Here's the breakdown for the region that the JC Press story was based on.

http://3u02zq1zqekqwvedp2m2rijl.wpen...uly-Trends.jpg

The July YTD numbers for all the counties and cities have not showed up yet, but here's a link the the totals for the first six months of this year compared to the first six months of last year. The July, 7-month numbers should show up next week

http://3u02zq1zqekqwvedp2m2rijl.wpen...June-pulse.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol