Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 29,153 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Denver for the past 10 years, born and raised in Iowa prior to that. I see a couple folks that have lived in the West but appears most responses are from the northeast or south. It appears my company will be moving me to the area this year, likely after the kids have finished school in May/June. We don't really want to move as we love Denver and have family and friends here, but am grateful for the knowledge on this forum and appears the Tri-Cities are liked by most all people on these boards so am looking forward to seeing the area. Looks like we will be there for a 'scoping' visit for the first time the week of February 4th.

Most of my developing questions can be answered by searching the various threads on this forum, but there is a minor question I have that hasn't been discussed. Having lived a long time in Iowa with the midwest gray hazy skies due to the humidity, and in Denver with the clear blue skies, I am wondering how the Tri-Cities sky might compare? Thanks to all for the information shared on these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
You are going to love the beautiful shades of blue skies with fluffy white clouds. The mountains here are different, that's for sure, but you'll do just fine. Welcome to Tennessee!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Default Well...

I have never been to Denver so I can't say for sure, but here, check it out for yourself.

Cloudy day

Gatlinburg

Hope that gives you an idea of our sky.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 PM

14 posts, read 29,153 times
Thank you for the photos, fantastic scenery. I'm looking forward to seeing it all first hand.

Is that a gondola going up the hill in the first 10/01/2006 photo? What is the story with that?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHi View Post
Thank you for the photos, fantastic scenery. I'm looking forward to seeing it all first hand.

Is that a gondola going up the hill in the first 10/01/2006 photo? What is the story with that?
Those are the tram cars at Ober Gatlinburg! Here is a link to their site that has info on them:
Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort & Amusement Park

Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Yep. It is in Gatlinburg and it is a gondola that brings you from the main strip up over a mountain or two to Ober Gatlinburg. It is a ski lodge, ice skating rink, stores and such up there.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:35 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times
Quote:
Having lived a long time in Iowa with the midwest gray hazy skies due to the humidity, and in Denver with the clear blue skies, I am wondering how the Tri-Cities sky might compare?
NE Tenn. is definitely not as sunny as Denver, but it's also not quite as humid as Iowa (about 10% lower on average). Denver's average annual relative humidity, OTOH, is about 30% lower than the Tri-Cities'.

We average 88 clear days annually, compared to Des Moines' 105 and Denver's 115.
Cloudiness - Mean Number of Days

Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
As always, nice photos!

MB, is this photo near the Fort Henry Mall in Kingsport? It looks like it, because I see what looks to be that HUGE Magnolia tree that is right across from there. If this is not the location, it sure looks like it.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
As always, nice photos!

MB, is this photo near the Fort Henry Mall in Kingsport? It looks like it, because I see what looks to be that HUGE Magnolia tree that is right across from there. If this is not the location, it sure looks like it.

Yep, you are correct on the location.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
I am originally from southern California, moved to Iowa in 1994, and am thinking about retiring or moving in the next few years to NE Tennesse. I've enjoyed reading all the great posts over the past few months. Just wanted to say hello and also thank MB and others for all the wonderful pictures and informative information!! Thank you again everyone for all your posts and pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol