U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM

31,846 posts, read 26,095,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Johnson City is the largest and "nicest" city in the region and functions as the cultural and economic center for the Tri-Cities. It has the highest incomes and the highest home prices. The Johnson City Mall is the only one in the region that is succeeding and is really doing quite well. There is some higher-end retail in Johnson City; nothing compared to what you would find in a large metro but considering the city's size is fairly impressive.

On the restaurant front, Johnson City actually does quite well with quite a few very good local places, decent ethnic cuisine, a not-for-profit restaurant (one of the only ones in the state), and a burgeoning micro-brewery scene. Johnson City also has a couple of specialty grocery stores in Fresh Market and Earth Fare.
JC's ethnic food is underrated. You have some Thai, Babylon, Sahib, Mediterranean Grill, Freiberg's, and more. Not a fan of Asian food in general, but the food scene really is quite good for a city its size.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:42 PM

886 posts, read 924,572 times
Kingsport is not really a dying city is it? It's just kind of being bypassed by Johnson City?

Old 06-28-2015, 02:09 AM

746 posts, read 1,655,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD614 View Post
Kingsport is not really a dying city is it? It's just kind of being bypassed by Johnson City?
Kingsport was more of a mill town back 100 years ago, as it was established as an industrial town relying on backbreaking work Elizabethton has an old rayon factory that dominates the city, so it kind of reminds me more of Kingsport's past, although it is much older. Most of Kingsports original industries are gone now and Eastman does not need unskilled people now. Much of its original housing was for tenant staff at those mills (such as around the old Quebecor complex), while management lived in better homes around Church Circle and further east down Wataugua. Kingsport has some nice newer homes out in Allendale, Orebank, Ridgefields, and at the base of Bays Mountain, but those neighborhoods are not visible to the casual visitor. Kingsport hasn't retained young talent as much as Johnson City. Just seems that Kingsport never grew out of a class based system, where the upper and middle class watched out and sort of patronized the working and lower classes. The lower classes just seem to be stuck with no real job prospects for a better life, unlike Johnson City where education is clearly the answer. Kingsport has excellent schools, but too much of the population doesn't seem to aspire to anything.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:03 AM

190 posts, read 244,612 times
Quote:
Interesting.

Is there any such thing as a McMansion type subdivision in the area (relatively speaking for a small city - I don't mean anything too far above average) and will you find any in Kingsport or do you have to look to Johnson City to live in that kind of a development? If you're looking to relocate is the commute between the two cities okay?

Here are two examples. There are others.

Lots & Homes for Sale, The Ridges | Century 21 Pro Service, REALTORSĀ®

oldislandhomes.com |

Old 06-28-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It's not "dying" in the sense of a collapse in population, businesses completely shutting down, etc, but it's certainly seen better days. I completely agree with fourwinds above on the class comments.

I went to high school in Sullivan County, graduated 11 years ago, and the class that students' parents came from is pretty much the class they ended up in, with a few exceptions here and there. The people who came from better educated, more successful families generally got at least a bachelor's themselves and left the area, unless they stayed in medical or education. By and large, those people are now middle class. Those who came from high school only families generally didn't go to college and remained in the area. By and large, those people aren't doing as well. I think the "company town" dynamic and where your parents worked at Eastman all played into that. I'd say maybe half the parents in my class worked at Eastman or one of its vendors. This was before the recent trends of Eastman only wanting tip-top candidates and white collar Eastman staff tending to reside in Johnson City and Washington County.

Kingsport does tend to have low aspirations, from the trend fourwinds described with the residents to the political leaders. Of the people I know in Kingsport who aren't doing that well, I doubt many will do much better. The mayor and aldermen is a game of musical chairs between cronies.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:44 PM

886 posts, read 924,572 times
Well, I looked up the rayon plant and saw a news report from Channel 11 about demolition. I notice the logo and the news graphics were very similar to one station here - nbc4i.com

I figured they might be owned by the same people.

Yep. Both owned by Media General. That Sarah chick and her co anchor seem like very good news anchors. I was surprised for such a small market they would have such good talent.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well, I looked up the rayon plant and saw a news report from Channel 11 about demolition. I notice the logo and the news graphics were very similar to one station here - nbc4i.com

Yep. Both owned by Media General. That Sarah chick and her co anchor seem like very good news anchors. I was surprised for such a small market they would have such good talent.
WCYB has always great talent. Many have gone on to larger markets. It's a good springboard for a lot of talent.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 AM

675 posts, read 951,710 times
Quote:

There is some good talent here but the area stations do function as a stepping stone for some. Really the Tri-Cities media market isn't that small. It is 92nd out of 210, right behind Colorado Springs.

Quote:
To echo what Emigrations said, it isn't necessarily dying but definitely treading water. Eastman is making a multi-million dollar investment by constructing a new corporate headquarters building in town but their actual employment numbers still tend to be declining overall. Eastman does recruit from around the country and the world but many of these people end up living in Johnson City for the greater amenities and diversity. Kingsport has a very active campaign to attract families and retirees to the city but I don't think it has been too successful.

All three of the Tri-Cities tend to compete with one another and none more so than Kingsport and Johnson City. Kingsport used to be the retail capital of the region and was also the wealthiest city in terms of household income. All that changed around the mid-90's. Now Johnson City is the clear leader and there is a certain envy in the Kingsport leadership that borders on desperation such as building a carousel downtown and the construction of a multi-million dollar aquatic center that was supposed to draw people from Morristown to Roanoke but has experienced a pretty notable amount of crime in the couple years it's been open.

To sum it up, Kingsport is gritty, industrial, older, and more conservative while Johnson City is younger, more progressive, diverse, cleaner. An example is this past Friday when the supreme court ruling on same sex marriage was announced, there was a rally/celebration that evening in Founders Park in downtown Johnson City that attracted around 200 people. Nothing happened in the rest of the region. Also Washington County was one of the first counties in the state to begin issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples Friday.

Some people on here would disagree with me but if you are familiar with Asheville, NC, think of Johnson City as its baby brother. There are some similar features and traits along with the same sort of vibe but Johnson City is a ways off from maturing into what Asheville is. It may never happen but the potential and foundation is there.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:03 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,271,324 times
Quote:
Is there any such thing as a McMansion type subdivision in the area (relatively speaking for a small city - I don't mean anything too far above average) and will you find any in Kingsport or do you have to look to Johnson City to live in that kind of a development? If you're looking to relocate is the commute between the two cities okay?
Kingsport McMansion type subdivision Edinburgh Community |

Old 06-29-2015, 02:38 PM

746 posts, read 1,655,312 times
As a former employee of Eastman, Gray is where a lot of new younger employees live. As they move up in housing, depends on which social core they are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol