U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:13 PM

745 posts, read 2,102,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
As a former employee of Eastman, Gray is where a lot of new younger employees live. As they move up in housing, depends on which social core they are in.
Among people I know, it also seems like many prefer Gray because it allows couples to work in different cities, or consider future jobs in either city with a very manageable drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 02:44 AM

190 posts, read 244,612 times
I think anyone who is seriously considering relocating will do some serious research from sources like this and others that are more data centric. The truth of the matter is Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City have attributes. It depends on what you want and expect. Yes, the job market is tough, but not for everyone. A little research will show there are jobs outside Eastman and the medical field and some big opportunities for entrepreneurs. That's not unique to the Tri-Cities. It's the norm just about everywhere.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:17 PM

23 posts, read 44,746 times
[quote=Rangerred;40179014]

"Johnson City has the best curb appeal of the three major cities followed by Bristol, then Kingsport. Johnson City benefits from having a 15,000 student university (East TN State), a major VA facility, and a large hospital and children's hospital serving parts of KY, VA, TN, and NC. All of this brings in transplants from across the country and world giving Johnson City a more diverse, younger, and more liberal population compared to the rest of the region. It is also the retail hub of the region although the other cities are slowly catching up. Johnson City is honestly a nice place to live and kind of flies under the radar in terms of places to move to."

Regarding the quote above.....I have enjoyed reading this thread as my husband and I are both retired, and along with at least one of our daughters, we are considering a move to the Tri Cities area. What's interesting is that I had heard Johnson City was more "red neck" (whatever that means) and less open minded than Kingsport. We are fiscal conservatives but somewhat open minded socially and are definitely NOT Christian fundamentalists. We realize there will be an adjustment period from our San Diego, CA, lifestyle, but we really like the friendliness of the South, the country music scene (we don't want to live in Nashville), and the beauty of the mountains. Our daughter is just graduating from college and may look for work in healthcare field in some kind of administration work. We hope she can find a job she enjoys. She is a people person!

So, given the feedback from those in this thread, some who seem to come from this area, was I given incorrect information previously regarding the vibe of Johnson City vs Kingsport? Is Johnson City more likely to fit our need for an open-minded, growing, stimulating place to live vs Kingsport?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 PM

675 posts, read 951,710 times
I think you might have Johnson City and Kingsport confused. JC is home to a large university and is a regional medical hub and as such, has a young and diverse population with the more open-minded, liberal beliefs that go along with that. It is the only city in the are seeing any real growth and the downtown is undergoing an impressive transformation. ETSU just restarted its football program and will soon begin construction of a fine and performing arts center.

Kingsport is an industrial city dominated by Eastman chemical company and several other industries. It is more blue collar and older than JC and is quite a bit more conservative. Plus, there is an offensive odor that constantly permeates the city.

As you have probably figures out from reading the forums, the job market isn't the best in this area. However, healthcare is one of the leading employers and jobs can be found if you are patient and persistent.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:22 PM

31,846 posts, read 26,095,389 times
Something has definitely gotten scrambled in what you've heard. Kingsport is a dying factory town. Johnson city is the most vibrant of the cities in the area, look toward Johnson city.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM

14,696 posts, read 18,462,895 times
Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to notice this odor whenever I'm in Kingsport. Is it just certain parts of Kingsport perhaps?

Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 AM

185 posts, read 260,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to notice this odor whenever I'm in Kingsport. Is it just certain parts of Kingsport perhaps?
Consider yourself lucky to be there on days when it's less noticeable or maybe you've been down-wind. I don't smell it every time I'm up there, but at least 75% of the time I do.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,271,324 times
I work in Downtown Kingsport and only smell it occasionally. The wind has to be blowing from the direction of Domtar. Honestly I think Domtar does a great job compared to other paper mills in minimizing the smell. It used to smell much worse when it was Willamette.

I believe Eastman's smells are very localized. They put a lot of $ into their image and EPA compliance. Often I think the smell is falsely attributed to the Big E. Perhaps this was more true in the olden days.

And as my wife's papaw used to say... "It smells like money".

Old 09-12-2015, 08:20 AM

8,494 posts, read 12,012,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Malls- Johnson City has a very strong mall, very clean and fully rented out. The other area malls are struggling.

McMansion type subdivisions are very prevalent in North Johnson City, and there are a couple that are closer to Jonesborough such as Highland Ridge and the Ridges. Johnson City sort of has the monopoly on high end housing. In fact, Kingsport has recently resorted to subsidizing developers who will build high end neighborhoods because so many of those who work in Kingsport live and shop in Johnson City instead. Let me make one caveat here: I sometimes have clients who come here and say "I am not picky, I just want a decent gated community". Gated communities basically do not exist and are not needed here, and if you looking for such a thing you probably won't like the area.

Again, JC is the food hub of the area. There are some locally owned restaurants and some good ones- but you will mostly find chain restaurants. I have never understood it, but locals seem much more inclined to eat at a chain than a locally owned place. And they are much more inclined to eat out than cook- so these restaurants get plenty of business.

If you can't tell, I am very biased toward JC. I like Bristol's downtown, but is nothing in Kingsport that I like, and I hate the layout of the streets, etc.
Johnson City's street layout is very confusing, as compared to Kingsport. Kingsport was a "planned" city, and it's downtown is much more dense, on a nice grid, and has a beautiful "church circle" surrounding it. Johnson City's downtown has always paled in comparison to its population. Recently however, I was down there (2 weeks ago) and see that JC is bringing in some nice bars and restaurants and other shops. It's great to see that happen finally, after years of neglect.

Also, ETSU seems to be growing quite a bit and influencing the area more and more--like someone would expect a big college or university to do. My sister works at the VA and my nephew is moving into a dorm in ETSU--both live (or lived) in Kingsport and commute to JC. They both prefer JC to Kingsport.

In my opinion, Kingsport is a city that has a potentially tremendous "core", thriving industrial/manufacturing areas, and is very similiar to a northern city, rather than southern. JC has much more diversity and potential growth--and ETSU influences a lot of that.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM

8,494 posts, read 12,012,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Something has definitely gotten scrambled in what you've heard. Kingsport is a dying factory town. Johnson city is the most vibrant of the cities in the area, look toward Johnson city.
Johnson City is the vibrant, happening city--agreed. However, Kingsport it not a dying factory town--this is not a true statement. Eastman is pumping billions into the area and its death will not happen for at least a few generations to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol