Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 14,161 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to obtain the obituary for my birth father, who died in the Jan 1998 flood, and any local newspaper articles about the flood. I live in Los Angeles, which makes this difficult. Any suggestions for who to contact at the local papers? Anyone willing to look up the information for me for a reasonable fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,100,431 times
Hi, I lived near the Tri-Cities then, but don't remember any flooding in 1998. Do you know which city your father lived in, so we can better connect you to a newspaper?

Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 14,161 times
Default Info on Jan 1998 flood and fatalities

From National Weather Service home page:

A powerful winter storm brought widespread flooding to East Tennessee (TN) and western North Carolina (NC) overnight from January 7th through 8th, 1998. The hardest hit area was in the rugged Appalachian mountains of Carter County TN, where seven people lost their lives. For an orientation map of the region, see Fig. 1. Over 200 mobile homes and 15 houses were demolished; 193 other houses or structures and 6 businesses were damaged. The flood occurred along the upper Doe River, with the communities of Roan Mountain, Hampton, and Valley Forge afflicted. A preliminary estimate of loss was put at $20 million.
The National Weather Service (NWS) Forecast Office in Memphis issued a flash flood watch at 3:31 PM EST (8:31 PM UTC), on the 7th for parts of east Tennessee, including Carter County. NWS Knoxville Tri-Cities issued a flash flood warning for Carter County at 9:18 PM on the 7th. Fatalities occurred between 12:30 and 2:00 AM on the 8th, giving around three hours lead time for the warning.
Six of the 7 deaths were associated with (two separate) vehicles attempting to make water crossings. This reiterates the danger of driving across high water. The last fatality was an emergency rescue member whose boat capsized during a rescue attempt.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,774,834 times
Here's one newspaper piece on the flood that lists the names of all seven victims:
The Oak Ridger Online -- State News --Residents recall devastating flood of '98 01/10/00 (broken link)

Photos of the flood memorial in Hampton:
Flood of '98 Memorial at The Hampton/Elizabethton Springs in Hampton Tennessee (This entry is under construction) | JoePearceDotCom Blog and Forums (http://www.joepearce.com/forums/?q=node/view/29 - broken link)

Memorial pages for Junior Godsey, the paramedic who died while trying to rescue others:
http://www.sullivancounty.org/EMS/junior.htm
Carles "Junior" Godsey

To inquire about your father's obituary, contact the Elizabethton Star at 423-542-4151 and/or the Johnson City Press's Classified Ads dept. at 423-722-0509. If you know the name of the funeral home that worked with your family, they may still have a copy of your father's obituary. Best wishes w/ your search.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggscj View Post
I'm trying to obtain the obituary for my birth father, who died in the Jan 1998 flood, and any local newspaper articles about the flood. I live in Los Angeles, which makes this difficult. Any suggestions for who to contact at the local papers? Anyone willing to look up the information for me for a reasonable fee?
I subscribe to the Kingsport Times News online edition and can do an archive search for you. Send me a DM with the info you want me to search and I will be happy to help.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
Hi, I'm not sure when the last time this was posted but my name is Victoria Simm. I may be able to help you. Was your father's name Carles "Junior" Godsey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol