U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 PM

667 posts, read 821,139 times

Advertisements

Gray - Suburban area between JC and Kingsport. About 20 minutes to each. Some basic amenities like a grocery store and a few restaurants/gas stations but largely rural with cookie-cutter subdivisions built in the 80's and 90's.

Colonial Heights - Basically an unincorporated southern extension of Kingsport. Strip malls and subdivisions from the 60's and 70's. Kingsport has annexed a lot of this area but many subdivisions still lack sewer service.

Jonesbourgh - Basically a bedroom community of JC that has a very quaint downtown that's honestly a little too "Disney" for my taste, if that makes any sense. Nice but not real authentic but a lot of people love it. Housing tends to be expensive overall as the town is popular with many wealthy northern retirees.

Elizabethton - Another pretty much bedroom community but at 15,000 or so people it has a more autonomy than Jonesborough. Beautiful scenery but pretty rough around the edges and insular. Not a progressive community all and the overall economy of Carter County is poor.

Hampton - Don't even think about it. An unincorporated community outside Elizabethton, again with beautiful mountain scenery, but the very definition of backwards and redneck.

You will find that outside of Johnson City and maybe a touch into Jonesborough, the Tri-Cities is very white christian conservative. Many of the smaller towns can be outright hostile to outsiders moving in. Even the other larger cities of Kingsport and Bristol are nowhere near as diverse and progressive as JC. Since you talk about wanting to be close to ETSU and taking advantage of some of its offerings I think you would be happiest in JC.

The Haven is a very nice apartment community only 5-10 minutes from ETSU and downtown and very close to shopping and restaurants. It is not walkable to anything, however, as it sits in a field off a two lane road.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 25,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Is West Watauga the same as West Davis Park? Yes

Gray, Colonial Heights - These are nice suburban areas between Kingsport & JC - 20 minute drive to ETSU

Jonesbourgh, Elizabethton - These are nice towns on each side of JC - 15 to 20 minute drive to ETSU

Hampton - Tiny town - a 30 minute mountain drive to ETSU
Thank you!
What is the correct pronuncation for Elizabethton?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Gray - Suburban area between JC and Kingsport. About 20 minutes to each. Some basic amenities like a grocery store and a few restaurants/gas stations but largely rural with cookie-cutter subdivisions built in the 80's and 90's.

Colonial Heights - Basically an unincorporated southern extension of Kingsport. Strip malls and subdivisions from the 60's and 70's. Kingsport has annexed a lot of this area but many subdivisions still lack sewer service.

Jonesbourgh - Basically a bedroom community of JC that has a very quaint downtown that's honestly a little too "Disney" for my taste, if that makes any sense. Nice but not real authentic but a lot of people love it. Housing tends to be expensive overall as the town is popular with many wealthy northern retirees.

Elizabethton - Another pretty much bedroom community but at 15,000 or so people it has a more autonomy than Jonesborough. Beautiful scenery but pretty rough around the edges and insular. Not a progressive community all and the overall economy of Carter County is poor.

Hampton - Don't even think about it. An unincorporated community outside Elizabethton, again with beautiful mountain scenery, but the very definition of backwards and redneck.

You will find that outside of Johnson City and maybe a touch into Jonesborough, the Tri-Cities is very white christian conservative. Many of the smaller towns can be outright hostile to outsiders moving in. Even the other larger cities of Kingsport and Bristol are nowhere near as diverse and progressive as JC. Since you talk about wanting to be close to ETSU and taking advantage of some of its offerings I think you would be happiest in JC.

The Haven is a very nice apartment community only 5-10 minutes from ETSU and downtown and very close to shopping and restaurants. It is not walkable to anything, however, as it sits in a field off a two lane road.
Diverse and progressive is more our speed, so your information is very helpful to us. Also, a place might look fine, but the culture is not evident. So again your info helps a lot.
JC sounds like the best bet. Thanks again.
I'm sure we will have more questions. We are coming to JC about October 25 to look around. Hopefully within a week we can find a place to rent (for $1000/month or less) and sign a lease.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 AM

12,336 posts, read 15,915,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagarnt View Post
Thank you!
What is the correct pronuncation for Elizabethton?
I have family In Elizabethtown KY so I found it a bit of a challenge to readjust my thinking and pronounce Elizabethton the way the locals do.

vid at 7:30 with sports announcer
#WJHLTDFN: Week 7 FINAL high school football scores and highlights here! | WJHL

Old 10-12-2015, 07:06 AM

185 posts, read 236,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have family In Elizabethtown KY so I found it a bit of a challenge to readjust my thinking and pronounce Elizabethton the way the locals do.

vid at 7:30 with sports announcer
#WJHLTDFN: Week 7 FINAL high school football scores and highlights here! | WJHL
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I grew up in Western KY, so going between Elizabeth-ton and Elizabeth-town is oddly tough for me.

Edit to add - some older locals call Elizabethton - Betsytown or just Betsy.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:10 AM

185 posts, read 236,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post

So I nearly ended up with my drink on the computer this morning reading your take on Hampton. So very true. I really wish it wasn't though, because the distance to Elizabethton, JC and the lake, plus the great mountain views would make it prime location for us for property down the road.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:10 AM

2,157 posts, read 3,950,402 times
What is the correct pronunciation for Elizabethton? "Elizabeth-tun"

Old 10-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
What is the correct pronunciation for Elizabethton? "Elizabeth-tun"
Thank you!

Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 AM

12,635 posts, read 7,048,998 times
To be more clear I believe it is Eliza Beth Tun with the Beth part very pronounced. If I can add some input from an outsider considering the same move I would not do Gray or Colonial Heights, even for a year. Just nothing of charm unless you co/nsider Outback charming and no views of the mountains. Stick with JC or Jonesborough.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 AM

2,157 posts, read 3,950,402 times
Eliza Beth Tun

I've heard it that way. I've also heard it with emphasis on the "E". I think both are acceptable.

People do call it Betsy or E-town more often than you would think.

Do any of our other towns/cities have such colloquial names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or