Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:41 AM

23 posts, read 50,485 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are about a week away from our Tri Cities visit, have contacted a realtor, and have about 20 homes we want to see all the way from Unicoi to the north end of Kingsport. I am just wondering about any job opportunities for our daughters and commerce on the VA side. I Google mapped it, and it seems that if you go northeast into Bristol, VA, it looks like there are quite a bit of businesses, but it's hard to tell on a map. We've never been up in this area, so we're wondering if living in northern Kingsport, is going across the border into VA something that Kingsport locals do as much as they may go down into Johnson City for shopping, eating, etc? Or, is it too far and not that common? Any locals from the Kingsport area out there? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM

311 posts, read 398,107 times
I live right outside of Kingsport and rarely need to go outside of Kingsport for shopping and/or eating. Honestly Kingsport has decent shopping and a decent amount of places to eat for the area it's not that bad. Oddly when I do travel to another city in the Tri-Cities it's Bristol, VA/TN. I very rarely go to JC and personally I think it's overrated and they don't have much more than Kingsport or Bristol. JC has a somewhat snobby attitude that I don't care for so I avoid it when possible.

The next major growth in the area is actually coming to Bristol. In the next couple of years as far as shopping/eating goes Bristol is going to have some first locations in the area. As far as jobs goes honestly outside of Eastman in Kingsport they all seem to be in Bristol or JC. I've never had good luck getting on at a decent job in Kingsport or really JC that much either. For some reason I always landed something in Bristol.

Personally I'd choose Bristol,TN/VA first, Kingsport second, and JC last.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:37 AM

510 posts, read 1,386,833 times
Immediately north of Kingsport and just across the border is the unincorporated town of Weber City and beyond that is incorporated town of Gate City (county seat of Scott County). These have evolved into mostly bedroom communities of Kingsport and the Greater Tri-Cities metro. There is really not a lot of retail there to draw from Tennessee except for two or three large chain supermarkets, a long established local furniture retailer, and fuel/tobacco/VA-lottery outlets. The sales tax differential may draw some Tennessee trade from northern Kingsport but for folks like myself that live south of Kingsport in does not seem advantageous to invest the time and fuel to regularly shop at Food City in Weber City with one less than a mile away. Most of the folks I know in Scott County, Virginia do most of their local retail buying in Kingsport, JC, or Bristol, Virginia's retail corridor along US-11 (Lee Highway) which parallels I-81 at exits 5, 7, and 10.

I don't really recommend most of northern Kingsport having lived in that area many years ago.

If you get a hankering for a road trip there are many "factory outlet" stores in the Sevierville and Pigeon Forge area about 100 miles away at the entrance to the Smoky Mountain National Park. If you really enjoy playing in traffic, there is always Knoxville (I-81/40) and Asheville (I-26) but for me they are mostly more of the same we have here and the reward is the road trip. I like the convenience of easy access to all of the Tri-Cities and the Interstates from being south of Kingsport but not being in such a built-up area. My recommendation is to look closely at the Gray, Colonial Heights, and adjacent area (between JC and Kingsport).

Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4plus6 View Post
My husband and I are about a week away from our Tri Cities visit, have contacted a realtor, and have about 20 homes we want to see all the way from Unicoi to the north end of Kingsport. I am just wondering about any job opportunities for our daughters and commerce on the VA side. I Google mapped it, and it seems that if you go northeast into Bristol, VA, it looks like there are quite a bit of businesses, but it's hard to tell on a map. We've never been up in this area, so we're wondering if living in northern Kingsport, is going across the border into VA something that Kingsport locals do as much as they may go down into Johnson City for shopping, eating, etc? Or, is it too far and not that common? Any locals from the Kingsport area out there? Thanks so much!
The small towns that border Tennessee in Southwest Virginia (other than Bristol) are mostly small, rural and depressed economically to super slow growth. These towns have a lot of historical roots in coal mining--and a lot of this has gone away or diminished, resulting in slow to little growth or diminishing town populations. It is a beautiful area geographically--but far more "rugged" and isolated in terms of steep mountains than northeast Tennessee.

Kingsport-Bristol-Johnson City are the "big cities" in the southwestern VA, southeastern KY, and western NC areas. Outside of these 3 cities, expect smaller historic towns with little retail other than mom and pop stores and drug store chains/fast food chains/smaller grocery stores.

I would highly recommend Kingsport, Johnson City or Bristol areas first, for almost any retail stores you would need (Targets/WalMarts/JcPenney's/Kohls/Sears/etc).

Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Thanks to those who have replied so far. Question for Jim 37680, who wrote "I don't really recommend most of northern Kingsport having lived in that area many years ago." I am curious as to why you felt that way and would appreciate your thoughts. We found a few homes a little north of Kingsport that seem to be beautiful areas, and one is near Fall Creek Rd and Emory Church Rd. We do plan to do quite a lot of driving around looking at areas, in addition to viewing homes with our realtor. I do realize it's personal preference, but would you mind telling me why you didn't like it? Thanks!

Thanks to the details you all gave information about specifics. It's not just shopping I am interested in, and I have been to Knoxville, Sevierville, Asheville, etc., on two recent trips. We just haven't seen the Tri Cities, northeast corner of TN yet, but we are intrigued by its proximity to Knoxville, Asheville, and my sister in Spartanburg, SC, as well as its setting along the Appalachian Mountains. I just want to be sure amenities are close enough by where ever we live, and that our daughters might be able to find work near us and not have to move far away!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Question for Jim 37680, who wrote "I don't really recommend most of northern Kingsport having lived in that area many years ago." I am curious as to why you felt that way and would appreciate your thoughts. We found a few homes a little north of Kingsport that seem to be beautiful areas, and one is near Fall Creek Rd and Emory Church Rd.
I like that particular area a lot & go walking there sometimes, but it's directly east of Kingsport. Directly north of Kingsport is Lynn Garden & NE is Bloomingdale, both of which are pretty scruffy overall.

FWIW, I live in Kingsport (near downtown) and work in Bristol, VA (Exit 5). Outside of groceries, I do most of my shopping online but Bristol's come a long way in recent years.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Question for Jim 37680, who wrote "I don't really recommend most of northern Kingsport having lived in that area many years ago." I am curious as to why you felt that way and would appreciate your thoughts. We found a few homes a little north of Kingsport that seem to be beautiful areas, and one is near Fall Creek Rd and Emory Church Rd. We do plan to do quite a lot of driving around looking at areas, in addition to viewing homes with our realtor. I do realize it's personal preference, but would you mind telling me why you didn't like it? Thanks!
I really don't want to be viewed a putting down a whole area (as some others on this forum love to do) but many of the older development in the north of downtown toward Virginia were built out in the period between 1920 and 1960 and have not aged graciously. There are isolated exceptions and the annexation of many older neighborhoods seems to be helping with revitization. Also, there are some newer developments that look like they are maintaining their dignity. There exists some really nice scenery in the area over near the North Holston River.

I am really a bit in question about the specifics of "a few homes a little north of Kingsport" and the reference "one is near Fall Creek Rd and Emory Church Rd" which is really due east of downtown Kingsport and is in fact not too far from me. I like the Fall Creek road area and there continues to be a good bit of residential development in that area. AEP must be expecting considerable load growth in that area because they have Pike doing a major addition to the Fall Creek substation and they are adding a new three-phase distribution circuit headed right toward a 200 acre farm tract recently auctioned, presumably not for agricultural ends.

Kingsport has a problem with the geology and topography of the surrounding landscape with development of new residential development. Rivers, mountains, ridges, and existing development have invoked the parable of "the low hanging fruit". That fruit has all been picked so you must get out the ladder. The Fall Creek area is one of those accessible by that ladder as is area to the southwest such as the Rock Spring and Harmony areas to mention but two.

I have nothing to do with real estate but if you want some commentary on as more specific locales and where the bodies are (possibly) buried then I would be glad to reply to a PM.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:19 PM

677 posts, read 1,072,830 times
SW Virginia's economy is based nearly 100% on coal and that industry has been in decline for years. The many small towns have suffered considerably and there honestly is not much positive happening. Bristol, VA is the one possible bright spot but they are taking a huge gamble by financing a large retail development that may or may not see long-term success. There is a competing large-scale retail development called The Pinnacle under development in Bristol, TN and both of these are banking on being regional shopping destinations. Interestingly enough, the most recent sales numbers for the Tri-Cities show JC's retail sales are just as strong as the Kingsport/Bristol metro's and these new mega-retail developments have not hurt JC's sales numbers. This brings into question whether these developments will actually be regional in nature and have long-term success (I doubt it).

Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City all have basically the same chain stores and chain restaurants. However when it comes to higher-end/specialty/ethnic stores and restaurants JC stands alone with very few exceptions. Every weekend in the Johnson City Mall parking lot there will be license plates from SW VA, Eastern KY, and Western NC. JC is still the retail leader in the region.

JC is closest to the mountains and has more mountain views compared to Kingsport and Bristol and will also put you closer to Asheville and Spartanburg.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:46 PM

And, don't forget the Buccaneers! Ra, Ra, Zis, Boom, Bah

Old 10-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Thanks again, everyone. I was mistaken on direction. I did mean east of Kingsport, really. When using Zillow, I got a bit confused as I was moving "up" from JC while looking at homes. I'm sure our realtor, who lives in Jonesborough, will also be a good guide as well to help us steer clear of less desirable areas. I will digest all the latest feedback here, show it to my husband, and ask for more clarification, if needed. Yes, I plan to attend Buccaneer games! Also, there are baseball farm teams around too, right? How fun! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol