Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:51 PM

383 posts, read 918,951 times

Advertisements

You can't milk a soy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 70,963 times
3.00 a gallon here in Northern California.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I paid $3.49 today at Whites for whole milk.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 PM

83 posts, read 258,577 times
What a wide variety of prices ! thanks to everyone that posted.

Melissa

Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
At $3.49/gallon a grocery is selling milk at a loss to get people in the door to buy other products (i.e., it's a "loss leader"). If you think $4 or more is too much to pay for a gallon of milk then you might try running a dairy farm sometime. Particularly now with diesel fuel costing 100% more than it did just 3 years ago. The reality is that - without all of the federal farm subsidies given to struggling farmers - your milk and most of your food would cost even more. As far as I'm concerned, people don't pay enough for their damn food right now. That's why so much agriculture has been outsourced to cheap labor countries. The average item of food travels 1,100 miles before it reaches your table. How crazy is that? It seems to me that the average person would flip out if they had to pay $6 for a gallon of milk but then that same person would think nothing of paying $3 for a cup of Starbucks coffee. Ugh.

Locally produced Vermont milk will likely be more expensive then the "generic" grocery brands because large groceries get large quantities of milk from huge producers further West who can beat Vermont farmers on wholesale prices due to the economies of scale. But unless your taste buds are dulled you can really taste the difference in quality. Local is so much better.

Sean

Old 02-05-2008, 04:34 PM

83 posts, read 258,577 times
First of all, I TOTALLY agree that quality makes a difference, and I AM willing to pay a premium for good quality. I am only saying that milk prices , .... actually most ALL food prices have tripled in just a short amount of time. Everything has tripled, accept our paychecks. They remain the same. So I am complaining about rising costs, just as YOU are complaining about rising fuel costs. My heating oil has tripled here this year.

I was born and raised on a farm in southwestern Ohio. My Father farmed the land and raised hogs for a living. So I am no stranger to the costs of farming, and I know that a person farming will NOT get rich. In fact, many a farm has gone belly up, because it just doesn't pay. Hence, the govt. subsidies .

I too am afraid that more and more of our food will be outsourced to countries like China. You do know, that China is getting into the dairy business ? What do you want to bet, in 5 years we will have imported milk here, from China ? I hate to see what's happening to our farmers , and I really don't like how everything is being outsourced overseas.

I think people are going to have to start living closer to the earth. Meaning, we need to rely less on others for our staples.

Melissa

Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Default Milk Price

We pay between $3.00 & $4.00 in suburban Chicago for a gal milk and about $14.00 for a gal of Starbucks Double Shots. Why does nobody complain about that? Maybe they should sell milk in 8 oz cans.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 15,147 times
Default milk in So. Carolina

We pay about 2.99 for two percent at Walmart but some brands are more and of course whole milk is more. The small stores charge close to 5 dollars for milk so we don't go there unless it is an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol